randomiams 1993 Legacy SS with bonus TW action within!

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: randomiams 1993 Legacy SS with bonus TW action within!

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah that bov adaptor is exactly what I'm using now.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Its hooked up and recirculating with the stock BPV now; it does feel smoother and a bit more responsive, I'll double check my spark gap soon.

Its defaulting back to 5psi now, which has me a bit puzzled. No codes, most connections look good but I'm gonna go back over them soon.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Attempted to defog/unhaze the headlights a bit more. I'm not sure it made much of a difference. I think these are close to my favorite OEM wheels:

Silver 5x100 STI BBS would look good too.. but I must slow spending a bit. Probably next task is struts.
Subaru-less
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes I agree those look hot. :) oh the SS looks good too
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I adjusted the gap as Mike recommended, it may have contributed to a bit better performance lately; went from.044 to .038.

Recirculation setup isn't 100% where I want it to be yet, so its atmospheric for a bit longer. I was getting better gas mileage as a late but I want to take a bit more time to do it proper. Tightened up the atmospheric bov quite a bit and I think its holding the boost better.

I replaced a handful of the old vacuum lines.. hardened and useless at this point. It's holding pretty well at around 10psi and that's fine with me.

Still other odds and ends to be sorted. Going to focus a bit on suspension and brakes in the coming weeks.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Got bored the other day and finally tore down this blown motor we got with a shell:

I think I got the recirculation plumbing where I want it to be. Its not pretty but its effective, vacuum is good, boost is good.

Hoseclamp overdose

Probably gonna make a bracket to elevate my coolant tank into a permanent location this weekend.
Subaru-less
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

randomiam wrote:Got bored the other day and finally tore down this blown motor we got with a shell:

Well there's your problem :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

minor bump:
fender braces installed, feels a little more solid in corners.. I was tempted to relocate the washer tank but I didn't really want to half ass it, will keep my eye open for a nice jdm tank and get something somewhat proper working.

sanded down the rust beneath battery & coated it, might replace the top plate or something.

tax stuff coming.. Maybe tackle struts/springs and exhaust if I have the extra funds. Its insane how much room we have in our garage now.. extra motor and transmission are gone, I might install a door opener and start parking it in there.

& hitting fuel cut on accident on the freeway at 70+.. not cool
Subaru-less
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

randomiam wrote:Attempted to defog/unhaze the headlights a bit more. I'm not sure it made much of a difference. I think these are close to my favorite OEM wheels:

Silver 5x100 STI BBS would look good too.. but I must slow spending a bit. Probably next task is struts.

Man she sure is clean. Oh how I miss her. Glad its local and in good hands though.
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

So.. about to consider my exhaust options:

I have the bellmouth downpipe still, no cats.. I need to add an additional 02 Bung for a future wideband
..and for the rest.. It seems like I can find a WRX aftermarket exhaust and have it lengthened/adjust hangers as needed or buy my own new muffler and have a shop fabricate from the down pipe back. The last option seems like the most realistic. The plan is for down pipe, 3" back with a possible resonator and a somewhat stock looking exhaust, no cats.

For the muffler inlet.. Should the offset be to one side or another?
Thinking this might be alright:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-9430462/overview/

I think I've got some sort of super 40 welded up to my current thing.. sounds alright minus all my exhaust leaks.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

tax season, woot woot.

Ordered the LC-1 Wideband kit, 440s from England $85 shipped, and yes.. Engine management also en route

direct deposit ftw
Subaru-less
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Nice, I have ny innovate wideband on the way too. What tune and how did you find it are you using? How and what steps was it to set up. Is it a rob tune
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

well its only a stopgap until the eventual td05-16g/550s with robtune option but I'm gonna be running a revtronix chip stage 2 rev 2.. setup for TD04 & 440s; Might be a little annoying but its a cheap low effort option until I make the next jump.

its gonna be a few weeks before thats together anyway, I need to address exhaust and get the wideband hooked up so I can observe.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Got my ECU but I'm still waiting on more supporting stuff.

Dropped downpipe off at Muffler Shoppe in White Center per Roberts suggestion, seems to be a good one so far. Adding two more 02 bungs because the one on the downpipe itself is much different than our stock location so I want the option to move it. I've got the flowmaster 44 offset inlet/dual outlet muffler on order.. going to have everything in between fabbed up next week.

Kind of toyed with the idea of getting it coated but I'm gonna pass, it'll suffice as is.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Changed directions on he exhaust plan a bit. It seems that the most cost effective way to have a nice (& long lasting) free flowing exhaust is to grab a WRX aftermarket option.. Stainless custom fabricated & mandrel bent is a pretty pricy option & I grabbed a invidia n1 catback setup off nasioc.. Little bit of relocation and I'm gonna make a spacer section similar to how:

bbs user threshld1 did: http://s31.beta.photobucket.com/user/Th ... sort=4&o=7

Not keen on the 4" can outlet but I'll evalulate that after the bulk of the work is done.. can always switch it later.

also took a good 500mile rt trek to (almost) the northwestern part of continental US, up to Ozette lake for some backpacking. Fuel economy was pretty meh but I think it serves as a good test to compare future changes against.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

BOOM, 3" Turbo back exhaust completed. No-name downpipe passed down from Kimo, to Robert and to I, two extra 02 bungs added, Invidia N1 Street Wrx catback, modified hangers and added additional length.. No cats and one resonator.

First impressions? It feels a lot better. No more crazy exhaust leaks and it feels like the boost comes on smoother and its gotten a slight bit quicker.. This exhaust is actually a little quieter than the contraption that was previously bolted up so its definitely not noise messing with me. The in car noise is quite a bit lower but outside its still pretty loud and you can still hear the turbo spinning like you would with open downpipe.

Looks wise.. Well its pretty much all stainless steel and it was cheap, so I can't complain too much. The 3" inlet 4" outlet n1 style exhaust isn't quite my style and may be swapped out eventually. I don't care for now. Its not as big as some and atleast on our boosted cars, they are more practical [/end rationalization]

few pics.. yes, my license plate is magicly wired on.. This car still has a few kinks but its coming along.

Wideband maybe goes in tonight or Monday.. progress.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

did a brief video while my room mate took it around the block.. trying to gauge the db level of this setup

Subaru-less
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I thought you wanted something louder than mine? ;)
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

wideband is in.. little more wiring than I like to do so my room mate helped me tackle it. Worked without a hitch.. not sure where I want to mount the gauge but I'll tackle that soon.

now the over analyzing of my AFR can begin.. and lots of reading. Pictures to come later
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

inline fuse holder, 5amp fuse & some anti sieze good.. turned out to be extra as the 02 Sensor had some on it to begin with.
lc-1 kit & gauge..
zip tied to firewall.. seems like it will work alright
wideband location.. AC location is kind of annoying, seems like it should be alright here.
Subaru-less
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's where I put my lc1. Let me know if your wideband randomly doesn't work. After a few months mine started only working maybe half the time. I'm assuming the sensor is going bad. Probably too hot directly after the turbo. I'd recommend you get a heat sink shield for your sensor before it gets burnt out like mine.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Hmm.. I may have to look into that.. I have another bung I might be able to move it back into.

I took my greytop 440's to one of the Doctor Injector's, the one in Renton.. Little more expensive than WitchHunter but it was quick and O-rings etc were replaced with it. $28per, I think? It showed a 7/8% improvement but I ultimately did it as another thing to check off as a possible issue down the road.

First go around with the 440's, Jecs Maf & Revtronix ECU in.. It started and ran but the AFR's were super lean and it was cutting out of power at around 3k; I think it initially has to feel things out but something else isn't quite right. I'm going to go back over everything and verify things and try and diagnose again soon but for now, I went back to Stock ECU & MAF

Its pretty cool being able to observe the AF ratio.. I'm pretty glad I ran it with the TD04/Stock Injectors/ECU 10lb boost setup for a brief time, if only for a baseline to compare future changes against.

TD04/10PSI/ Stock ECU & Injectors 14/15 at Idle, maybe down to 10.5/11 at wide open
TD04/10PSI Revtronix Chip 440s etc first go, initially super rich, 10/12n then 16/17 at idle, 13ish when pushed a little
TD04/10PSI Stock ECU & 440s- Super freaking rich. 13ish when at idle, 9/10ish wide open. Yikes.
Subaru-less
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Keep in mind an LC1 can't read lower than 9-10 AFR, so it is likely even richer!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

You just need to crank up the boost some more :P
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I decided to run the chipped ecu a bit longer and after a good reset & checking a few things.. It runs okay & its boosting pretty well 14/15psi is a nice bump from 10 but during this brief period I was hoping the ECU might adjust as the AFR at idle and most all the time, is still just too lean -- 16ish crusing, 11 when in boost and 18ish at idle.. I drove from here (Auburn) to Bellevue as a trial and we swapped the stock ECU & MAF back in when we got up there as it didn't really seem to change much or normalize.

I'm not sure why its doing this. I'm using the further down 02 bung for the factory 02 sensor and I may try moving it further up near the stock location.

I'm also not running a Walbro 255 or upgraded fuel pump yet(I have one on order) but I highly doubt thats a bottle neck at idle, if anything it would lean out on boost if the pump was running out of breath.

I grabbed a MSD DIS-2 box for cheap. I don't know when I will install this. Someday.
Subaru-less