guesswho's 91LSi

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

guesswho
First Gear

guesswho's 91LSi

Post by guesswho »

Hey guys i'm not going to go crazy with a big introduction. Been doing Subarus with my dad for the past 13 years. I've met a few members on here locally doing transactions this is my favorite forum, little bit slow but so much good information and a more mature crowd it seems.

I've gone through multiple subarus and the first gen. legacys are my favorite by far. Mine started out as a 91LSi that I bought just as a clean shell, had 117K on it when i bought and a destroyed transmission. After I bought it I found a 92SS locally one owner car 146K on it and used it as my donor. I had a full black interior I used from another legacy I parted out and put it together. Swap was a piece of cake I've done plenty of them by now in legacys, GC's, GD's. Here's a mod list and some pics of the stages it's gone though.

Interior
-Flocked dash board
-WRX momo shift knob
-WRX leather shift boot
-89 RS Momo steering wheel
-NRG quick release/short hub
-STi shifter trim
-JDM Ver.6 WRX limited front and rear seats
-Sparco aluminum pedal covers
-JDM steering column trim
-Lamco WRX boost gauge

Exterior
-91SS hood/front bumper
-07 STi front lip
-91 SS rear spoiler
-Blacked out finish panel
-Cleared taillights

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels
-Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
-ABS delete
-SVX 1 1/16 master cylinder
-GC KYB AGX struts
-04 STi springs
-Carbon fiber STi front strut bar
-Cusco rear V-brace setup
-FHI 2 pot rear brakes/kartboy adapters
-Goodridge SS brake lines
-Prodrive/Speedline Pero R wheels. 17X7 ET52
-205/50/17 Sumitomo HTRZ2

Engine/Drivetrain
-HKS catless downpipe
-STi genome axle back
-WRX short shifter
-Koyo radiator
-Powdercoated/chrome plated engine accessories
-91 3.90 LSD

Parts I have but need to install
-Prodrive Alcon 330X30 front brakes
-JDM legacy glass headlights/corner lights
-JDM rear taillights
-JDM aluminum control arms
-WRX rear subframe
-Perrin front and rear spherical endlinks
-Godspeed rear adjustable lateral links
-ARC oilpan
-GT Spec 3 bolt UEL header/uppipe
-BPM turbo back exhaust
-Ver.2 JDM STi tmic
-JDM TD04L-16T
-JDM 440CC greytop injectors
-JDM legacy raingaurds
-Samco silicone radiator hoses
-22MM whiteline front and rear sway bars
-GT wagon rear lip

Most current picture
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Re: guesswho's 91LSi

Post by HomeSlice »

nice work man! great mod list. really clean job! i envy your shop setup! love those seats. my girls 01 rs seats aint cutting it. you workin on getting paint soon? those edm headlights are a great improvement. you can actually see the road at night. btw those taillights i traded you was from Germany. jdm didnt have rear fogs unless u got different ones now.
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

Took the car off the road to start working on it some. Has bad headgaskets, needs a new clutch. The engine work is a little bit down the line. Got the engine and trans out a week or so ago, no pics of that. Got my front crossmember back from powdercoating, put that and the steering rack back in along with some Whiteline steering rack bushings.

Brake booster was out because I was in the middle of swapping in a single stage unit. Also cut down my clutch res. to fit with the TMIC in place.

Next thing I worked on was cleaning up the JDM aluminum control arms and whiteline antilift kit, this pile got bigger, twice........... Can't go wrong with whiteline products top notch stuff.

For the day, I got the crossmember steering rack and control arms back in the car. Polished up the engine bay some, peeled off and rewraped the wiring harness in the engine bay.

Also picked up some perrin front and rear spherical endlinks.

One other little thing I did was remove the rear bumper and mock up the one I resprayed and installed the GT rear lip on. Not too bad for really no painting experience and spraying it in a dirty garage. I love the way it looks with the STi genome sticking out. Not good lighting but you get the idea.

Should have some more wednesday for you guys.........picked up an EJ20G today but that may be for the GC, not sure what I'm doing with it yet.
Last edited by guesswho on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

Got a chance to play around today after work a little. Cleaned up and painted my front hubs with some rustoleum gloss black and have a new set of ARP extended studs for them as well. They're off a 1999 impreza L I only wanted them for the slightly updated design and the fact that the wheel bearings on them seem to be in a little better condition.

It's a bit cold here now so I'll have to leave the hubs dry till I get back out there wednesday hopefully. Finished working on this for the night by threading up the tierods from the whiteline kit and mocking up the perrin front endlinks. Using a crapload of anti-sieze on both, being using that stuff forever and works tremendously. With these cars everyone should make it a habit to use it saves you alot of frustration and time later on if you have to disassemble something again.

Lastly a quick one of the engine bay with the single stage booster, brand new SVX 1 1/16th master cylinder and grimmspeed master cylinder brace installed again. Was kind of tied up troubleshooting some starting issues on my daily driver 92SS otherwise I probably would have gotten more done. Oh well, no worries little bit here and there it will come together eventually.
Last edited by guesswho on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Why the SVX booster? Is that a 4 port so it fits the NA brake lines without ABS? How did you get it and how much did it cost? I want my ABS gone. I already have the non-abs hardlines.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Pictures no worky.

Yeah, the SVX MC is the only MC that is 1-1/16" bore and 4-port, which means you can run it on a car without ABS.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My friend is parting out an svx right now and I just looked at his master cylinder and booster and it only has 2 ports...
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The SVX has to be non-abs.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

Fixed the pics Josh. Was cleaning up my photobucket account a little bit.

kimokalihi-The single stage brake booster itself was off my 95 impreza. The SVX master cylinder was the 1 1/16 like Josh said and was only available on the SVX. You need to find a non ABS SVX MC or buy a new one at the dealer or off ebay. Very good mod for the $100 I paid for it new some years ago.

No pics from today but the front hubs are on the car. Put the wiring all back in place in the engine bay. Going to reroute a few thing because they won't be needed anymore, mainly the boost control crap. Working on cleaning up the transmission casing some, it's pretty dirty. Need to buy a group N trans mount, the whiteline positive shift kit, and some kartboy hardened shifter bushings. Put that all together and then the trans can go back in.

Also just bought a 328X28 Racing Brake 2 piece rotor setup for the Prodrive/Alcon calipers. So i'll have to dig those out and refresh them some. Can't wait to put them back on. Progress will be slowing down a bit, but not stopped. Only because work is picking up for me, currently retail and this is the busy season for us as well as everyone else.
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

Not really a progess update but since everyone loves pictures. JDM headlights, corner lights, headlamp washer kit, Samco silicone hoses, Prodrive diffgaurd.

JDM taillights and raingaurds.

My spare 22T with the GT spec header/uppipe, TD04L and the the Ver.2 STi tmic. Trying to mock everything up on this engine and get my PCV setup done so it looks factory and that is proving to be quite difficult.

Lastly the ARC oilpan and the header/uppipe again.

Hopefully saturday I can get some stuff done on the car.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Interesting oil pan...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

We have some similar parts haha, looking good. Need to finish installing everything as well. Congrats on the rain guards, I just scored a set about a month ago as well.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

So I got the two piece rotor setup the other day. Pulled it apart cleaned up the rotors and hats and then reassembled them the way Racing Brake says to on their website. Not a huge difference in weight but they're still cool. Also pulled out the Prodrive/Alcon calipers and cleaned them up some and also painted the prodrive lettering in the caliper.

Lastly a couple pics of another set of wheels/tires that are sitting around, was just screwing around so I threw one on just for kicks. Prodrive GC010E 18X7.5 with Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires. Forged, light, badass. Still going to stick with the Prodrive Pero R's they're still my favorite wheel made for subarus.

When I patched up the sunroof in the car I was in a rush and didn't put a headliner back in so i've been rolling around without one for some time now. I finally got a headliner from a car that has a hard top and found out they are both a little different on the outside edges. No pics of it but it's mocked up in the car and I'm trimming out all the excess material I don't need. After I pull it back out i'm going to wrap it in some faux black suede material.
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Sweet setup, sorry i couldn't hand those skirts over... Gonna restore the GT, don't like the bumpout on the roof though
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

Not too much more progess. Finally put a headliner in the car though. Bought some microsuede off ebay and wrapped it. For anybody else considering this do not use the 3M spray on adhesive stuff. IT IS GARBAGE. I wound up using a caulk gun and some silicone and it worked out great.

On the kitchen table, just letting it all dry.

And in the car, not the best pic but you can see it's all in now. Only thing I need is the front map lights for a non sunroof car.

Pushed the car out of the garage to turn it around going to work on dropping out the rear subframe and gas tank soon.

Next up on my parts list to buy is a group N trans mount, whiteline positive shift kit, and a kartboy rear shifter bushing. Once I get that stuff I can put the trans back up in the car.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

That thing is coming along very well..... I would like more info on specific year svx you got the MC from.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

The MC came from I believe a 1992SVX, if I remember correctly. All the legacy SS' came with a 1 1/16 MC. If you have no ABS you will need the MC from a non ABS SVX, I'd just look on eBay or just call a dealer for one.

Not a big update at least for you guys but, for me it is. I didn't want to post that I got it until it was in my possession. I got a Prodrive 330MM black suede steering wheel. I know most people aren't that into the Prodrive stuff anymore but the quality is still there. Plus I think i've owned every Prodrive item there is to own except for a steering wheel so it is fitting plus it'll go well with the other goodies I have for the car.

Lastly I got the rear subframe and gas tank out of the car this weekend without much difficulty. Even the big ass bolts came out fine. Lol. Still need to buy the stuff for the trans to get that back in and now buy new fuel hose and emission lines from Subaru. I have a generic eBay fuel pump in the car now but I think i'm going to buy a DW 255LPH pump that should be more then sufficient. And while it's apart might as well replace the springs and pads on the rear eBrake. Fuel tank is out just didn't snap another pic was tired as hell. Onto the pics.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I actually looked in the parts book for another guy that PM'd me on the NASIOC. From what I have found in the Subaru parts book, the 94 to 95 and possibly mid year 96 model years with FWD are the only models that do not have ABS. So that is what you're going to want to look for. If it helps, the Subaru part # is 26410PA001.

The dealer will not likely have any of these, so check out ebay or the parts store. If you find a used one, you can get a rebuild kit from the dealer. The part # is 26471PA000
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

Finally an update! Didn't notice how long it's been since I have updated this. So everything in the rear end of the car is done. eBay lateral links, Godspeed trailing arms, WRX rear subframe, the FHI two pot rear calipers, Perrin spherical rear endlinks, Rallitek rear swaybar mounts, KYB AGX struts and stock 04STi rear springs. My Whiteline 22MM RSB should be here wednesday and that'll go on. Also redid all the fuel lines on the fueltank and POR15'd the top end of it as well as the metal links. While I was at it, I POR15'd the fuel filler neck which turned out ok.

The trans was reinstalled roughly a month ago with the Kartboy front and rear hardened shifter bushings, the whiteline positive shift kit for the trans crossmember, and the subaru Group N trans mount. Couldn't be happier with the way the shifter feels, so nice and crisp. No rear pics of it besides the trans backup in the car. In the engine bay you'll notice I moved the ignitor and cleaned up some of the wiring as well.

Redid the headgaskets on the EJ22T while I had the engine out and installed the ARP headstuds with OEM Subaru headgaskets. Install went pretty good, but I'd advise anyone who does headgaskets on these engines get an 11X1.25 thread tap and clean the threads out.

Bought the KSB03 WRX replacement clutch kit by Exedy for the car and was impressed with the kit itself especially for the price. Didn't bother with a new flywheel, because one I don't need it and two I can't afford it right now. LOL.

Bolted the clutch/pressure plate up on the engine and dropped in the longblock Easter sunday install went beautifully. Bought some new intake runner gaskets from Subaru along with a new throttle body gasket and bolted the runners backup.

Lastly, I got a few things powdercoated/ceramic coated locally and it all came out nice! Pictured here is the GT Spec UEL header/uppipe and a BPM divorced wastegate downpipe that was done in silver ceramic. The valve covers were done in wrinkle red to match the intake runners, the EJ20G fuel rails were done in machine gray and the STi shifter trim was done in a reflective black chrome.

That's it for now. Next on the choping block is to send out the 440CC injectors and get them cleaned and serviced. I ordered a new rear timing belt cover piece from Subaru because the ones I have are fatigued and rub against the cam pulley so i'll have that wednesday and the timing belt and front of the engine can go back together. I still have to install the ARC oilpan once that is on the header, uppipe, and valve covers will follow. Pretty excited cause i'm getting closer and closer to firing it up!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I like that shifter surround! That's really what I'd like to do if I could ever find a tan MT shifter surround.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've got that surround but but its missing the bolts and the piece that they bolt into underneath.
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

So I wound up bolting a TD05H-16G on instead of the TD04L, for whatever reason the TD04 felt gritty is the best way to put it when spinning the shaft by hand. So I bought a good known 16G off a friend. Also installed a DW300 fuel pump, 320LPH. Installed this stuff with the Ver.2 STi topmount and stock injectors. Simply put the car will not boost with the stock injectors and this setup on either wastegate pressure or with the stock boost controller setup.. Short sound clip of it right now.

carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

I know this thread hasn't been updated in some time, but I also have an ARC oil pan and am doing some investigation on oil pan/header compatibility. How was the fitment with the GT-Spec header and ARC oil pan?
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
guesswho
First Gear

Post by guesswho »

I didn't wind up using it on the car right now. I did have it mocked up on a block with the GT Spec and the fitment was fair-good. It is tough to find headers that clear the pan though. If you decide you want to part with yours let me know. Lol.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Lets get some updates yo!!!!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost