Kookookachew's Legacy L build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: Kookookachew's Legacy L build

Post by mike-tracy »

If you need the instructions for it, I have them scanned in a PDF file. Just PM me your email.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Thanks a bunch! But I already grabbed them from scoobymods.com :smt023 I think over the years I've managed to make accounts at just about every major Subaru forum :smt016
'99 Outback Rio Red 5-speed (sold)
'06 Legacy GT GRP 5-speed (stock) My road-warrior ~1K miles a week! (sold)
'93 Legacy L Sedan (Project car) RWD, turbo-swapped, manual-swapped (sold)

'12 Golf TDI 4-door 6MT (Subaruless)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

For the compass, I'm assuming it has an external sensor you've run outside of the car?

Nice work on the 4EAT mods. There are some scattered threads about the power mode mod.

Just curious why you are wanting a FWD switch? You won't really get any better fuel mileage in FWD mode since the entire rear drive train still moves. If it's to play in the snow, I can understand that :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Yes, the compass has a temperature sensor located just behind the front grill. When I pulled the gauge package out of the Forester in the junkyard I grabbed the entire wiring harness that runs to the sensor along with the sensor itself and its mounting bracket (just attaches to one of the hood latch bolts).

The FWD switch is just for the sake of having it actually :P I never plan on running the car in FWD for fuel economy, because your right, it simply doesn't work. I knew a girl who used to do that in her Outback, and she absolutely couldn't be convinced that it wasn't saving her money.

I just felt like adding it just because I could. ;-)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

kookookachew wrote:I just felt like adding it just because I could. ;-)
I completely understand :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

You could make it into a FWD button under the handbrake. Then you can pull off handbrake slides MUCH more easily, since normally the AWD system works against the handbrake to keep the rears spinning if you try that.

Or, you can just use the FWD switch if you wind up with mis-matched tread depth on the tires, or when you have to run on your spare. I know there was 1 auto-X in particular where I wore down one front tire so bad that it caused driveline drag driving straight, so I had to (well, didn't have to but felt much better doing so) put the FWD fuse in place until I swapped to my DD tires.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

James614 wrote:You could make it into a FWD button under the handbrake. Then you can pull off handbrake slides MUCH more easily, since normally the AWD system works against the handbrake to keep the rears spinning if you try that.

I was reading into that on the forum that I found the 50/50 lock mod on (rs25.com) but the clutch pack and TCU respond too slowly to do that from what I've heard. I dont do hand-brake turns anyway, just a little flick into the turn with generous throttle and the back end comes around completely satisfactorily. This car isn't ment to be an on-road performance beast of any kind anyway :P Thats what my '06 LGT is for... I plan on lifting this one on Outback struts and springs, putting on some large luggy tires, and using it for the winter and for off-road fun with my buddies and their trucks.

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Well, no real progress since our school's shop has been closed, but I have managed to do some driving and testing out of the new 4x4 lock... ;)

I'm no master of photography so its hard to tell just how steep that hill is, and how high it is right there, but let me tell you, it is not for the faint of heart... In fact I was amazed it made it at all. Some nice luggy tires are in the near future, but right now it is still equipped with the tiny bald all-seasons

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Well guys, its time to update this long-neglected thread...

ALOT has happened to this little Subaru, you would never even know it is the same car...

Over the summer I stripped the car of all of its panels, and stripped each panel down to bare metal. Straightened what I could, Replaced two of the doors and bondo'd the rest since I did/do not have the skills or tools to replace sheet metal. Stripped the car with a combination of methods. Most panels were chemically stripped with aircraft stripper from Autozone, works pretty good, three separate coats with scraping in between did the trick most of the time. Also used lots of 80 grit sand paper, and same 120 grit sanding disks on my $5 4 1/2" Harbor Freight angle grinder. Sanded plastic bumper covers, trim pieces and door handles with the 80 grit.

The paint and primer I used were from TCP global, 1 gallon of 2K Urethane primer with reducers and 1 Gallon Single Stage Midnight Blue Matte with reducers and hardeners, along with some filters, all for ~ $350

Paint was really decent, had enough for the entire chassis, door jambs etc, and all panels. Quality was good, defects were caused by my buddy and I painting it in my garage and yard, and not exactly knowing what we were doing, did use a nice gun from Eastwood which ran really well with my compressor.

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Front lip is off of an old Volvo I found in the junkyard, $5 later and a few screws later and it was on! No molding, modification needed. Side skirts are from a '00-'04 Outback wagon, cut a couple of inches out of the backs to make the length correct

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

That was it for work at home, but I also spent a good chunk of the summer and my internship money on go-fast parts ;)

Slowly collected parts for the turbo build and manual swap....

Its now a Turbo EJ22N/A Running 6 psi, more to come. And it is also a 5 speed and RWD with welded center and rear diffs.

Turbo was actually easier than the manual swap if you can believe it. Running a original EJ22T VF11 and intake manifold on the N/A injectors and rails. (Wanted the turbo IACV), which turned out to be bad, so I plugged it and made it idle nice by turning the idle screw up slightly.

I used an FXT manifold, and a LGT up-pipe with a home-made 3" Magnaflow catted downpipe by some craigslist guy with an H6 GC8 Coupe Impreza. Mid-pipe and axle back are currently stock bugeye WRX. Intercooler is from a bugeye and so is the hoodscoop, intercooler was a pain in the ass to figure out routing for the hoses, and had to take a sledgehammer to the firewall to make it fit, along with cutting and grinding the throttle body to bring the intercooler closer to the motor. Oil supply was accomplished from a $20 eBay kit that splits off of the oil-pressure gauge (Came with all the fittings and a correctly lengthened piece of stainless braided line) I did cut, notch, and have a friend re-weld the crossmember rather than buy another, and it seems to be holding up fine.

Oil return was done with a NPT fitting welded into the oil pan, and copper tubing with small rubber ultra-high-temp hose to connect to turbo and oil-pan fitting. Coolant was T'd from heater core hose.

So far I'm running no, I repeat NO engine management aside form the stock 2.2 N/A ECU, I'm monitoring boost and AFRs with a prosport boost gauge and AEM UEGO wideband. Boost holds nice at 6psi, I made a custom flange and used a Saab Bosch BPV which is running back to my intake pre-turbo of course.
Believe it or not, my AFRs are a perfect 14.7 at low-load, cruising and idling, and under WOT they hang around 12 until about 4800 and then richen to a max of about 11.1 by redline. No detonation has been heard, even when it was fairly warm out down in Ocean City Maryland where I went for H2O and did plenty of beating on the car then stopping and lugging around in traffic, followed by more beating.

Future plans for management for more boost are possibly the EJ22T 370cc injectors, and I also have old-school 5-dial Apexi SAFC and SITC (Super Air/Fuel controller, and Ignition timing controller)

Also might be getting a PP6 for cheap from a friend in my school's Auto club

Sorry there aren't many pics of the engine work, I was so busy most of the time trying to get it running for the 10 hour drive to Ocean City that I didn't stop to take pics

Transmission was from an '03 Forester XS, also grabbed the VLSD from the same car for when I convert to 4x4 for winter mode. Used shifter assembly from same vehicle, which fit perfectly, rear shifter bushing holes were already in body, just had to pull the plastic plugs out. Holes were all there and threaded for the manual tranny crossmember as well, and I kept the hardware form the Forester which matched up perfectly. Manual tranny crossmember, front driveshaft section, cable pedal assembly, and cable bracket for tranny came from a '93 Legacy L wagon with over 300K.

Bolting everything in was the easy part, I did get a little "ghetto" with the clutch which I ran the cable to the hydraulic fork, and just drilled a hole in the fork for the adjustable rod. It works fine, it just causes a very short engagement point. The only other thing that required some modification was the starter holes. I had to tap into the transmission bell-housing and drill out the lower starter hole for the larger bolt.

The biggest issue was with the wiring. NONE of the wiring diagrams, schematics etc that I had for 1st gens matched what was actually on the car. I did wire up an "adapter harness" so that the factory plugs on the car and on the transmission didn't have to be modified. To figure out which wires on the car side were for reverse, neutral, and starter interlock I tested the shift-switch on the transmission using a multimeter. I wired the reverse wires to the manual transmission reverse switch, and the neutral switch wires to the manual transmission neutral switch. The starter interlock I just spliced together since the car never came with cruise control, and I wasn't worried about the clutch keeping the car from starting.

The final problem that I've run into is the Exedy 2.2L clutch isn't anywhere near as strong as it needs to be, after just 1200 miles, it slips in 2nd-5th once boost kicks in, just driving around its fine. So once I get the money together I'll grab a flywheel from a 2.5RS and a stage 1 Exedy

Welded rear diff:

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Once I got it running and driving I threw on a set of Raceland coilovers, they are super cheap, but not absolutely terrible. Much better than some of the VW kits, they at least have independent height and preload adjustment, although the damping is terrible and there is no adjustment for it. But It needed the stiffness and I wanted to give being low a shot.

I also threw on a set of BBS RXIIs that I got cheap without bolts. I stripped the centers of about 9 layers of paint, which took forever. And I stripped and polished the lips. I then painted the centers Matte white with Matte clear to help with cleaning and protection. Picked up a set of 64 refinished bolts cheap of of VWVortex, bolted everything together and threw them on a couple of hours before the 10 hour drive to Maryland.

Also made a "custom" grill. Before painting over the summer I cut out the center and bondo'd the holes that remained. And just before I left I cut some metal mesh to fit, and painted it black. Epoxy'd an emblem from the front of an '08 Impreza onto the mesh and popped it in.

Pic from H20... Parked at our hotel, its a big thing to write stuff on the cars in painters tape so I wrote "RWD" on the back quarters, "WELD THE DIFF!" on the back, and "BEWST" on the hood :p

Parked next to the LGT:

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Broken down in Marathon Ny... Made it the 10 hour drive from Potsdam to Ocean City, Md. Beat the crap out of the poor thing Friday-Monday down there, and then made it within 75 miles of my house on the way back.

Started shaking really badly and making alot of noise from the back of the car after a steady bit of "high-speed" cruising through PA behind a couple of S4s and an older 911.

Shaking got soo bad I was afraid to go over 55, and then all of a sudden the car would torque steer to the left any time I got on the gas and smoke started pouring from the back of the car. Pull over and looked under the car, all I saw was smoldering CV boot and felt ALOT of heat.

Originally thought we had cracked the rear diff at some point and it had leaked out its gear oil and super-heated and started to seize. So limped it to the next exit off of RT 81 and called AAA and had it towed home.

Once it was home I jacked it up and got a better look. Checked the diff and the gear oil was full and clean, and only the driver's CV was screwed, so it must have been failing and I never realized it and kept driving on it. Called around and couldnt get a new shaft for 4 days or so and I had to be back to school in one, so I pulled the bad CV out, knocked the hub-stub off and bolted it in, and drove it the next 2.5 hours to Potsdam with just the one rear CV shaft ;) Welded diff FTW!! Althought the RWD torque steer was... interesting.

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

All the traction of an open diff, without the easy driving. That's a man's way to drive your car :D

Its awesome that you not only saved the car, but turned it into a sexy beast also. How are tight corners with the welded diff? Particularly reverse at full steering lock?

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Haha tight corners are a bit interesting as you'd expect. Just feel some solid binding, and hear some scuffs and chirps from the tires, but thats about it.

Surprisingly though, medium to high speed corners are much better. I haven't had a chance to change out the lateral links and bolt in the WRX sway bar, so it still has NO rear sway, but turn-ins are actually pretty good, and the car is very solid and infinitely more confident through a turn.

Lift-off oversteer still exists as with any other Subaru I've driven, but now its much easier to rotate the back with just the throttle, although the turbo is very peaky so I'm still getting used to modulating the throttle through a slide.

The power/torque increase is astounding though. I'm betting on almost double the power to the wheels, it feels just as quick as my '06 LGT. Turbo is spooled to 6psi by 2200 RPM so torque is fantastic, especially when just putting through traffic, better than both my '99 OBW with a 2.5L and 5-speed and my '06 2.5L Turbo LGT 5-speed

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

Moar low? I love your wheels man! Great build as well, I wanna go RWD someday...
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Post by ShorelineScooby »

Man, super glad you sent me the link to the build! Way more badass than I was expecting! Was it much work to fit the scoop?
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
92 240sx Vert (Shitbox money-pit drift project)
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Not too bad, just set it on the hood, measured it out so it was equidistant from side to side and about where a scoop would sit, and then marked with a pencil and took a 4 1/2" angle grinder with cutoff wheel to the hood. I had to make "notches" in the hood where the scoop mounts would be because they sit lower than the hood surface. To hold it down I just got some pieces of straight steel with holes drilled in it and put a screw through it into the hood-scoop.

Kind of slapped together with what parts I had lying around, but worked fairly well.

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Updates updates updates....

Well, its been a couple more months since I last posted anything in here. Just like to start off by saying that this tough little Subaru is still running strong!!

I did have a bit of trouble with a speeding ticket :wub: and posted it up for sale, I had some great guys make me offers, but I got an offer on just the Racelands so I sold those instead of the whole car, I just couldn't do it, I like this car too much, and have put way to much time into it to sell it yet

So, the Racelands are gone, but a friend of mine gave me a set of older Megan Racing coil-overs. They are a bit crusty, and stuck at just under stock ride-height, but they aren't blown, and actually ride half-way decent.

It is still RWD, I did damage the stock 3.90 diff that was welded though... Gears are fine, but I snapped off a stub shaft. When I replaced the bad CV I never put in one of the ____ pins that keeps it from sliding back and forth, and when I was doing a very impressive 3rd-gear burnout, that I clutch-kicked my way into... It snapped off. So, I picked up some used rear axles from a GC Impreza and tossed in the back-up diff, the 4.11 VLSD I got from the same Foz I got the tranny from. Heres a pic of the damaged stub-shaft....

Once it started snowing in the north-country, I tossed the 14's back on, by no means are those tires good (Cheapest used things I could find to burn off) but they were certainly better than the tires on the BBS', which were smooth to the touch...

Then I took it home, and stored it for a couple of weeks anyway,

But then I broke 1st gear on my '06 LGT by bending the 1/2 fork in the first good snow storm... So the L is back out and on the prowl again as my winter vehicle until I can afford a good replacement or rebuild of the LGT's transmission.

Heres some pics: Started right up after sitting for a couple of weeks

So, I've been driving the L around for a bit now, and now that its going to be a daily, I've got some work to do... So far I've got the IACV issue figured out. Turns out the electronic unit on the valve IS different between the factory turbo and N/A Legacies. So, I just popped on the N/A electric unit onto the turbo IACV so it still clears the turbo. Now cold idle is no longer an issue.

I've got a Forester 5MT coming tomorrow that I got cheap so I can pop that in with some front CVs and have AWD again for the winter, and I've got 4 BIG snow tires to mount on the 14s.

Other future plans are the fix the noisy rear wheel bearing, put in some newer manual seat-belts, and to get some cloth seats with more bolstering in, maybe heated?

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Also, forgot to mention for anyone interested... After I swapped out the POS stock '02 WRX muffler with just a cheap 3A Racing garbage straight-through muffler I gained ALOT of boost... I don't exactly understand it, but I could never touch over 6lbs on waste-gate before, since then I've hit over 11! Although I can't exactly tell if its partially because of the colder weather, maybe a combination of the two? It doesn't seem right that either one would cause that much of a change... And I thought it was quick at 6? Holy crap at 11 its fantastic!!

I'll admit, the additional boost and colder weather make the AFRs very unhappy, so I'm hoping to pick up a PP6 from a friend and then I'll toss in the turbo injectors that I have and dial them down, and I'll also be able to dial the timing down as well so I don't blow this little 22E up...

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The more free flowing exhaust will allow you to boost more.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Back when I had my stock exhaust, I noticed the same thing... I couldn't hit over 10-11. With a cat less DP I had to adjust it way down to stay out of fuel cut.

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

I did realize that an exhaust with less back-pressure would increase boost and lower time needed to spool, but I never though that just a muffler, and one originally equipped on a turbo car, would create such a difference!!

But hey, I'm not complaining, I certainly like the additional boost, and the fact that I can hit 6 lbs of boost by 2100 Rpm and max boost (usually ~11, unless its really cold out) by 3500.

Now I just have to re-work fueling. At 6-7 lbs the stock MAF, injectors, and ECU could actually do the job, it ran a tad bit lean, 12.1 was about the highest I read on the wideband. But with all of the additional boost the AFRs are in a bad place. Haven't heard knock or detonation yet, and its still running well, but I know it only takes one time and I'll crack a ringland. I should have a Perfect Power 6 by mid-January though, so I'll wire that in and spend some time trying my hand at tuning....

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would recommend upgrading your fuel pump. I ran 11-12 psi (just under fuel cut) without any issues and AFR's leaning out. In fact they were quite rich. I understand using the PP will allow for future tuning needs, but the stock injectors & MAF are plenty capable up to 11-12 psi assuming you have enough fuel. I'd suggest picking up a Walbro & adapter kit for around $100 and that should help your AFR's.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT