Kookookachew's Legacy L build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kookookachew
First Gear

Kookookachew's Legacy L build

Post by kookookachew »

Hey guys, so I've picked up my 3rd Legacy and I got it in pretty rough shape, and no matter what ends up happening it will turn out much better (hopefully) and quite a bit different from where it started so I thought I'd create a build thread to show my progress!
'99 Outback Rio Red 5-speed (sold)
'06 Legacy GT GRP 5-speed (stock) My road-warrior ~1K miles a week! (sold)
'93 Legacy L Sedan (Project car) RWD, turbo-swapped, manual-swapped (sold)

'12 Golf TDI 4-door 6MT (Subaruless)
kookookachew
First Gear

Re: Kookookachew's Legacy L build

Post by kookookachew »

So, here she is, a 1993 Legacy L, started life in Colorado as a nice, normal, average Legacy sedan with a 2.2L and 4EAT. However, the previous owners have taken there toll, and I've got a chance to step in and rescue this poor Subie.

Here are some pics of when I first got my hands on it. It had been sitting in a parking lot of my college in Northern NY for about 1 1/2 years. This whole time the passenger window was down about 2 inches, and the front and rear windshields were leaking badly.

This created about 2 inches of water and ice, yes I said ice, accumulation on the floor, along with massive amounts of mold, and a smell that was a mix between mold, and rotten trash-juice. :icon_cry:

Anyway heres the pics...

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

So, to start out with, I cleaned all of the crap that the PO had left in the car. Seems he was using it as a storage container for his forgotten trash... It actually took me 3 carloads of garbage to the dumpsters just to get rid of his old stuff.

This included: Boxes, bean-bag chair, sleeping bag, easter basket, travel books of the U.S, a broken DVD player, 2 very gross V8 juice containers, and countless other misc. things that were just generally gross.

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Once the majority of the old stuff had been cleaned out, I worked on checking the car mechanically... From a quick inspection everything looked great! Clean fluids all topped up everywhere... New looking CV shafts, very little, and I honestly mean very little rust. I guess coming from Colorado really helped it out...

So after checking fluids I checked for power, I didnt think there was any since none of the interior lights lit up. But upon inserting the key, I had power! tried starting it, but it only had enough juice to "click". So a quick jump-start later it was running like a champ! I removed the jump vehicle, put it into drive, and drove out of the spot... No issues whatsoever...

Heres a pic of the car freshly out of its spot in over a year... And then one of it at out Car clubs shop where I vacuumed it out to help a little with the gross-ness and then the last one is in the parking lot of my residence on campus. I live in what Clarkson calls the "Townhouses".

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

On the next chance I got I decided to take the leap and scrap the existing disgusting interior, and boy am I glad I did...

Not only was EVERYHTING moldy, but the seats werent original, and the rear bench was actually out of a wagon, which didnt fit, and didnt latch...

So I pulled out the seats, pulled out the vomit-inducing carpet, and whatever else I could. Along with scraping up the original sound-deadening material that was supposed to be glued to the floor, but with all of the moisture had just soaked up the smell and given up on adhesion.

Here are a few pics, you can see how gross it was, unfortunately I forget to take a whole-interior shot with the sound-deadening scraped up...

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Now that the interior was out and the smell inside was bearable again, I began to tackle the electrical issues... When I got it the dome light, map lights, dash lights, horn, rear defrost, power mirrors, and power windows were all in-op...

Everything but the power mirrors and windows was due to blown fuses. This was caused by perhaps the poorest jobs I've ever seen done on installing an aftermarket stereo. The wires were cut from the original harness instead of using an adapter, and then just twisted together with no tape... Eventually the wires grounded out and blew all of the fuses....

I set out cutting and re-crimping with electrical tape all of the stereo wires and now upon replacing the fuses all of those electrical circuits work great!

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

The power windows were even easier to fix, and the power mirrors... Well, I'll get to those...

Here shows a pciture of exactly what went wrong. On 1st gen Legacys there is a circuit breaker and Relay mounted under the drivers seat, under the carpet, and under a metal plate bolted to the car.

As you can see, the wires attached to the CB had become corroded and come loose. This issue was quickly resolved and then the power windows began to work, although slow and weak...

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

As for the power mirrors... When I got the car the passenger side mirror had been broken off by presumably someone in the parking lot since it was just sitting on the hood....

And I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the driver's side mirror wouldn't work... Well I eventually gave up and went to adjust the glass by hand, when I discovered the problem... As I pushed lightly on the mirror to adjust the glass it just fell off....

Apparently that mirror had been broken off before and just glued back on...

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Lots of pictures soon to come! I managed to acquire a massive amount of great stuff from the U-Pull-U-Save in East Syracuse, NY...

Actually I managed the passenger taillight and center piece, passenger front turn signal, MAF sensor, door panel pockets and speaker grills, a complete set of seat-belts, rear quarter window trims, front windshield trim, both power mirrors, a factory amp+sub out of a 3rd gen Legacy, an entire leather interior in perfect condition from a '99 Legacy GT including carpet, tweeters, and premium speakers, and a rare information center from a forester that I want to try and retro-fit, all for $71.50!!!

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Did some more work today, will be back on it after dinner settles :p

So, I pulled the drivers seat back out, and then used laquer thinner to clean and prep the floors and began to prime them. After the primer was dry I laid down a few coats of rubberized undercoating to help insulate and sound-proof a bit since I had to scrape up the original sound-deadening.

While that was drying I replaced the knock sensor, cleaned the MAF sensor and put in some new NGK plugs. Before it was definitely not running correctly because it would idle around 550 rpm and very rough, and also had no power and sounded like it was running on 3.5 cylinders...

After I pulled the knock sensor I could clearly see why...

Once the undercoating is done drying I can swap out the seat belts for some new ones out of another 1st gen that aren't moldy and disgusting, and then the new carpet and leather seats can go in. Eventually I plan on going back to the junkyard and getting seat belts out of a 2nd gen that will match the new leather seats and then I'll have manual seat belts instead of the problem prone automatic ones...

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Much work was did last night! In fact I got soo wrapped up in working on the car I forgot to go to bed, and it didn't roll back out of the garage till about 7:30 this morning :P

First I was still waiting on the rubberized undercoating to dry, so I took off the old broken mirrors...

And replaced them with nice working units that even properly fold in! After that was done I took out the Walmart special door speakers from the front and put in a nice set of the original Subaru premium speakers, cleaned up the mess of wiring, and then threw on the door pockets and speaker grills I grabbed form the junkyard. The color doesn't match, but I'll get to fixing that at some point.

After the doors were done the under-coating STILL wasn't dry so I set to work on the tail lights. I replaced the broken center piece with the junkyard unit and new bulbs, and then set to work on the quarter panel with a sledgehammer and a mallet... Once I got the panel knocked out enough I was able to fit the replacement taillight in, it still needs a good bit of work back there, but its legal now and when the weather warms up a bit, I'll set out on doing some real body work.

After I finished that the taillights was able to get back inside and pull the old, disgusting moldy seat belts. I installed the junk yard ones that are more worn unfortunately, but at least usable. Once the seatbelts were in I finally got down to the tricky part, fitting in the carpet...

I was both surprised and not when I fit the carpet from the '99 in... It fit surprisingly well, with many of the holes cut in it in exactly the right spots... However it did take soem trimming where the seat belt retractors come out of the floor and also around the center console area where the seatbelt retractors are located there. Unfortunately I did trim a bit too much off of the center and so there is a spot where you can see the edge of the carpet at the rear of the center console, but everything else went perfectly. I will probably rectify the carpet issue by throwing in one of those large carpeted floor mats that goes over the center "hump" and I can tuck it under the center console.

Once the carpet was in I thoroughly vacuumed it and installed all of the trim pieces, which went on well, and matched up with the carpet almost exactly.

Then came the most anticipated part... I installed the rear seat first, which went on perfectly and works great. The original seat to the car was non-folding so had to pull the steel bar the ran along the center of the gap behind the seat, but not even a concern. Its even better then the replacement seat the PO had thrown in since he had thrown one in out of a wagon that didn't fit correctly, and didn't latch either...

After the rear seat I bolted in the front ones, with the only extra step being swapping out the buckles so that the seat-belts will latch. I also installed the factory under-seat sub from a '01 Outback while I was installing the passenger seat, but I have yet to wire it up.

Next went the center console and then I was done! Now the car is completely legal, with all of the lights working properly, it runs like new, and the interior is not only pleasant to be in again, but is actually very luxurious and comfortable with the nice leather seats!

And, as most people will probably just skip to the pics... Here you go! ;)

Undercoating in...

Door panel pockets and speaker grills...

Seats!!!

Taillight pieces installed, and looking much better....

Front turn signal installed to replace smashed one...

ggbox69
First Gear

Post by ggbox69 »

Nice work, looks like you really brought the car back from the brink. Props on seeing the potential through all the mold and neglect!
1994 Wagon - Turbo swapped DD
EJ22T, 3'' TBE, Apexi Intake, Spec Clutch, H&R's, Robtune, VF39, 550's, Walbro, V2 STI Top Mount, AEM Wideband
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'm really impressed someone would go through all of this for an L sedan! They're really great cars and even I'm guilty of under-appreciating them (I regret selling the '90 and '93 L sedans I used to have every time I have get behind the wheel of our '07 Saturn Ion).
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
dafrompa
First Gear

Post by dafrompa »

i like the new seats i can't find those color seats in any sedan only outbacks which r wagons so inorder to get them to work u have to drill for anchor for the rear seats.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Thanks guys! I'll admit, I'm a bit crazy, but I knew this car had a lot of life left in it. I knew it drove back and forth from Colorado to Northern New York at least a couple of times so it had to be mechanically sound. And its not rusty, and thats what really kills these cars, in fact that was the main reason I sold my '99 Rio Red OBW. It was getting to the point that the cancer was taking over, and I dont have the money or proper rust repair skills to fix it, and I couldn't bare seeing it rust apart before my eyes.

dafrompa: I found those seats in a '99 Legacy GT Limited sedan. I was really excited because they aren't heated, and weren't embroidered "Outback" so they were perfect for this car. Not to mention they are in great shape!

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Well, another update... Thanks to defcon5 over at rs25.com I was able to put together a little kit that helps me to lock in a 50/50 torque split on the 4EAT whenever I desire. And after testing it, I'm sold!

I installed the basic 50/50 AWD controlled by a rocker switch in my '93 Legacy L and it worked great! I did have to reference the FSM for 1st gen Leggies, but it was very easy to track down the correct wire and then test it before cutting. The only thing I was concerned with was after I buolt the dummy load I read the FSM for my car agin and noticed that the resistance values are slightly different (9-15 ohms) vs (10-17 ohm) But it all worked out perfectly anyway!

Heres my resistor board (Dummy load) resistance was a perfect 17.0 ohms out of the wires, and as you can see I mounted my heatsinks a little differently. I even used a small amount of thermal paste to help even more. Everything was attached securely to the board using hot glue, and the back side was covered in a few layers of electrical tape and rubber mounting feet were stuck on to help with vibration and potential shorting.

TCU mounting location on the 1st gens... Super easy to get too, and fairly unmistakable

The white with black stripe was the wire I cut, tested it first using the procedure in the FSM and everything went smooth :)

Resistor board mounted... No problems there either!

Drilled a hole in the center switch plate on the center console, will be adding a FWD switch eventually, thats why it is mounted the way it is. Also used hot glue again to keep the wires from coming loose or shorting on each other in the future, I love hot glue! (Until I burn myself :P)

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Cool. I've never heard of using a dummy load for the locked clutch pack mod. What's the purpose of that? Have people been frying stuff without it?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

The dummy load just helps to avoid an unhappy TCU. The TCU expects to receive a certain amount of resistance form the Duty C solenoid under normal operation, anywhere from 9-17 Ohms. Without this resistance the TCU may think that something is wrong and go into limp mode, or just simply start flashing the AT Temp light...

So the point of the SPDT switch is that when it cuts the signal to the Duty C, enabling 50/50 lock; it then connects the TCU to the dummy load, and so the TCU sees 17 Ohms of resistance and all is well. :D

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Well guys, some more fun was had tonight with the factory electrical system of the Legacy...

This time I added in an on-demand "Sport" mode, and also FWD on demand as well, oh and some other fun stuff that only pics can show...

So thanks to the guys over at subaru-svx.net I became aware that the "Power" mode in the 4EAT can be activated with a switch instead of stabbing at the throttle... This is made possible by simply grounding out a pin on the TCU and voila! Power mode 24/7! But constant power mode isnt entirely desirable since the torque converter doesn't seem to lock up at highway speeds creating poor fuel economy.

To remedy this I simply stuffed an 18Ga wire into pin A4 on the TCU, pin 4 on B46? (The 20 pin connector on the TCU) It should be on the side that is only missing 1 or 2 wires. (The other side is missing more) and ran that wire to a simple SPST push-button which I mounted on the center console near the shifter. And then running the other side of the switch to a ground. Easy as that...

Pics...

Now power mode can be enabled any time the car is in a forward gear, but it does get disable with the cruise set or Manual mode activated in 1st-3rd gears.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, Power mode does not create red-line shifts or destructive transmission behavior. Just more positive shifts located at more desirable engine rpms. (Under normal driving the car feels completely normal, just a bit more responsive and peppy than it would normally be. The TCU also seems much "quicker". Downshifts come on much quicker and with less provocation, no need to completely mash the car to get it to go anywhere...

Another interesting point is that in the JDM and EDM, Legacys, SVXs, etc all came with a button from the factory aside from the manual button that enabled this feature, so the TCU and transmission are actually designed to be able to do this, just us in the Americas get the short end of the stick again...

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Well, as I said I also wired up the FWD fuse system to be controlled from inside the car... This was also extremely easy, although I may have implemented it in a rather crude way. I simply crimped some wire to spade connectors inserted into the existing FWD fuse location. I ran these wires along the OEM harness and into the cabin through a grommet and up to the center console where they are connected to a SPST rocker switch located just below my 50/50 lock switch :) Super easy to do and now I have about as much control of a 90's 4EAT as possible...

Power mode on demand
50/50 Torque distribution on demand
FWD on demand
Manual mode

Quick pic of implemented switches... Eventually I'm going to be making some nice decals or labels to label the switched with their functions to make them look a little nicer

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

Well, like I said, I did a little other work as well, (Well it was a lot more work... -_-) The previous PO had done a faorly poor job wiring up an aftermarket radio, I had already done a quick patch job to keep wires from shorting and grounding so I could get the cars electrical systems working, but this time I went to town... Cut all of the aftermarket wires out and wired in an OEM plug... This also allowed me to connect a few Subaru goodies. A factory under-seat sub from an '03? Outback Limited and an awesome and rare little display unit the does compass, speed (of sorts), outside temp, barometric pressure, and an altimeter. Both of these devises use the factory stereo wiring harness for power, sound, dimmer, etc so thats one of the main reasons I wanted to fix up the wiring under there. I've included some quick pics of the display, but note that the dash is not done, I need to grab a Subaru wire-harness adapter so I dont have to chop anything else when I actually hook up an aftermarket radio, which will not be the terrible Walmart special that was in there...

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Do the readouts really work?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You certainly have gone above and beyond for this little car. Hopefully she repays the favor with years of faithful service.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

SILINC3R wrote:Do the readouts really work?

Yes they do!! The outside temp is even accurate! To make the compass function properly though I have to calibrate it and the display has a speed-sensor that must be tied in to the speed signal. This allows for more accurate function of the compass and the little lines that are below it actually move at a tate this is proportional to the speed that the vehicle is traveling! So neat!

kookookachew
First Gear

Post by kookookachew »

mike-tracy wrote:You certainly have gone above and beyond for this little car. Hopefully she repays the favor with years of faithful service.
Thanks! :) I'm not even close to being done though, still needs lots of body work to bring it up to visual snuff and it looks like all it will need mechanically are some valve-cover gaskets. The 2.2 sounds great, no ticks, piston slap etc. The transmission was replaced with a new unit a couple of years ago and not that mnay miles, along with all of the CV shafts at that time. Its not rusty, and so far I've done enough straightening out of the elctrical system that even if it does give me issues I'll know how to fix it ;-)