1991 SS, and a trip.

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Re: 1991 SS, and a trip.

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

BTW, awesome trip and excellent job. I wish I could do what you did at least twice a year. Of course, that would be expensive. I had my own adventure like this once. It was lots of fun. Congrats!
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Yesterday it was raining all day so I didn't take the sunroof out of this and worked on my datsun down at work instead. Today however it wasn't raining (as bad anyway) I was able to pull the sunroof assembly with the help of my dad. Took it all apart cleaned it up and sealed it. Hopefully no more leaks! I also blew out the drains, and ziptied them back on so they wont fall off. It had been resealed at one point on the drivers side. It looks like whoever did it, did it from inside of the car just on the drivers side (so not very well). The wind deflector was also removed and the nuts were never put back on causing the rails to be loose and probably to leak as well. Unfortunately my parts car was also missing the deflector so I just put some nuts back on and called it a day. My power steering parts also came in this week so I will fix that soon. Next weekend is modify and install headliner! Only one pic for today. Apart on the kitchen table.

1991 SS
1993 SS part's car, dead due to rust
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
1986 Brat (work in progress)
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Headliner is done! Thanks to a friend that came over. Started by putting the headliner back in the car, and then cutting both front outer edges. From the B pillar back there is no need to change it as the trim all fits from there back. I then cut new cardboard to go in the place of the stuff I had just cut out, and used foil tape to hold it all together (I saw someone on another forum using it to repair dents he had in a headliner before he recovered it. The tape seamed like it would work great for this as it holds some shape as well.) After the taping was done, it was pulled back out and taped on the back side, and the edges. Then it was on to recovering. I picked up some gray suede at JoAnn Fabric. Recovering was easy as I have done that a few times now, and then we installed it. Up next I had to trim the old felt seals for the auto belts so the new seat belt trim would clear and sit flush. After that everything matched right up. I just have to deal with my seat belt light now.

Foiled up

Glued but not cut

Installed

No more gap!

Where I trimmed the seal, Can't even tell on the driver's side. May have to cut the passenger side again.

1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Great work! That's look really good.

Regarding the seat belt light, the easiest and simplest solution is to pull the seat belt warning light pin from the automatic seat belt computer. Check out this post for more details:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 78#p384978
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Awesome, thanks I'll check that out after work tonight.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Drove this to work today, and tonight I pulled the power steering rack out and started on the rebuild. Tomorrow I need to dig into the pinion housing, and fix the leak there. Hopefully it will be all set after this and no more leaks! I also purchased new power steering lines as mine are leaking a lot... Following the great write up that is on here to rebuild it. Seems to be going well so far. I'll make sure to take some pics tomorrow as I work on it.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

I put my rack back together today. I ran into one problem, where one of the new seals for the pinion housing tore as I was sliding parts together. Luckily I had another rack at home out of a forester that I took some parts from to complete this one. It's all back together and not leaking anymore (from the rack anyway..) New power steering lines went in, and I did a four wheel alignment after I put the rack back in. I was surprised to see the rear out as I just did it when I put my sway bars on last year.

I'm glad we have a press at work. In order to change the lower seals in the pinion housing the bearing needs to be pressed off.

Up next I'll be looking for a 6 speed hopefully, and I also found another oil line leaking today on the passenger's side head just above the up pipe so that is going to be changed this week after I call the subaru dealership!
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Oil lines came it. I'm hoping to do those this weekend, fix my check engine light, and unplug the seatbelt light.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Today was a pretty productive day. After I rebuilt the entire exhaust on my jetta, I got to work on this some. Replaced, and relocated the purge valve. One of the several old 2.2's I had around donated one, it was slightly different from the turbo, as it didn't have a pig tail, but still plugged in just fine and it works or it clicked with power to it whereas the others didn't. My parts car had one relocated as well, but i tested in and it didn't work. So far no check engine light. I also disconnected the seatbelt light thanks to Josh for the info on that! So nice not to have lights on everywhere! Up next oil leaks and after I sell some of my cars off hopefully a 6 speed!

In it's new location

Just a nice pic from the drive home
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Replaced my rear cv boots tonight. That went pretty easy. Good thing I did them, I lost 2 more in as many weeks driving it sparingly. I guess they just gave up. I love rust free cars, both my rear trailing arm bolts came right out. I made sure to antiseize them before they went back in as well. I also replaced my diff hanger bushings. Noticed a bit more noise and vibrations at lower rpm's under load in 2nd and 3rd, but there's no more banging which is great. And then on a bad note, on my way home my abs module decided it had enough, and dumped brake fluid all over the engine bay. Time to put the abs delete in that i have had kicking around for the better part of the year. More to come this weekend!

1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I wish I had your motivation for maintenance work.
What on the ABS module failed to cause it to leak externally? That could've ended badly.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

beatersubi wrote:I wish I had your motivation for maintenance work.
What on the ABS module failed to cause it to leak externally? That could've ended badly.
It's hard some days, especially after working on other cars all day and than having to work on (several of) my own but it pays off. For the most part I don't have brake downs, and my cars are reliable. I have no idea what cause the ABS module to fail. I would assume lack of maintenance, regular brake fluid changed aren't something a lot of people think of. That over 21 years probably caused some corrosion inside the module. It looks like it failed between two of the sections, I don't know enough about the ABS unit to say for sure where or what parts. But I can take some photos tomorrow. I've seen one leak due to enough rust, but that was only once, and on one of the top 5 rustiest legacy's I've ever seen.

Anyway onto the progress from yesterday/today. Started off by pulling the two front lines and mastercylider out of one of my parts cars. I didn't realize the master was different. Thinking about it, it is obvious that they would be.

Someone put drilled and slotted rotors on the old girl. The car looks rustier than it is. It was from colorado and the lines were all in great shape. The car is just rusty in the typical rear quarter spots. The interior is trashed, and it needs an engine. Best for parts at this point.

All the parts. Lines to the proportioning valve, and the valve itself are from a second gen brighton wagon. They only issue I had was the lines to the rear were just slightly short for the valve. I just had to bend them a bit to get them to reach.

My bay empty of all the brake parts, had to pull the booster off because the lines are routed behind it.

Both first gens in the shop at the same time. I found a bad pin the peddle assembly so i swapped it out with on in the black car.

I had a friend come over and help bleed the brakes. Took a while to get all the air out of it. On my test drive one of the vacuum lines came off the boost controller, this was a very bad thing to have happen, as this car is a lot more fun with 13 psi. Time to spend some more money on mods :wink:

Now I have more room for fmic piping.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Pull the cross-drilled rotors, put 'em on the lathe, then your car. :wink:
Almost hard to believe you did all that with the motor in. It is nicer w/o the ABS mucking things up, though. Nice to have a shop (esp. w/ a lift) to work in.
Your car looks good.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Thanks man! It was a pain to get the work done with everything in the bay, but I don't plan on pulling the engine until I have the other one built. This is just one of the shops I have access too, its very poorly lit, and the tools are junk (I just bring my own) But it gets the job done, and its right next to where I live. I can go to work anytime as well, but I like my cars to have brakes if I'm going into town! I would pull the rotors off, but everything I own has been upgraded and the stock L rotors don't fit any of my cars! Up next I need a transmission, this one has had much, much better days.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Purchased a six speed. I'm so sick of the trans in this car!
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
Reuben
First Gear

Post by Reuben »

I love this car and the work you've done on it. Good shit!
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Thanks Reuben, good to see you over here, looking forward to more updates on your car as well! So far I have ordered a newer sti shift knob, and a 2004 sti shift boot trim ring. The trans should be showing up at work early next week. I also contacted dccdpro, and got some info on their products and will be ordering one soon.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
Reuben
First Gear

Post by Reuben »

Mean, 6MT DCCD Glory awaits!
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Got a small package today.

I was psyched to see that it came with a kartboy short throw, and a positive shift kit. I also ordered the dccd switches tonight, and got a new hydraulic clutch hose, and a couple bushings that it was missing/ I wanted to replace while I had it out. More too come soon....
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

[drool]
Reuben
First Gear

Post by Reuben »

Holy 6speed. yay!
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Wow! That pallet is full of win. I'm jelly.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

I'm pretty excited about it. Just ordered some rally spec rear rotors, so i can run the Sti rear knuckles, and retain my rear calipers. Custom shift boot has been ordered. All I have left is the DCCD pro.
1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
1982gl4
First Gear

Post by 1982gl4 »

Some more parts came in today thanks to a friend that works at a Subaru dealer. I have the screws to go with the trim, I just didn't feel like unwrapping them.

1991 SS
1992 Legacy L wagon
1984 subaru GL wagon
Several Air cooled VW's
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I want that 6-spd gear shift knob. I've got the older style with the red stitching in the rear and I don't care for the feel of it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm