Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah that could be the problem if there's nothing else that you're seeing to be the issue.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

I've dedicated the impreza to driving in bad weather conditions.
Its pretty much my snow tank. With the lifted suspension and new general altimax studded snow tires this car absolutely dominates everything in its path.
Transmission feels great. Clutch feels great w/ new OEM flywheel. Already hit 700miles today.

Miss placed my clutch fork pivot pin plug and had purchased a new one:
Part #:30550AA000

Also, I'm not f*ckin around this winter with cold starting problems, picked up a block heater:
Parts # A0910AS100

Over the Xmas week and heavy snow in CO the impreza went on two successful rescue missions. Pulled two stuck vehicles and went on some serious snow rally hoonage. Good times :-)
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Which side does the block heater go in?

I ask because I tried removing the plugs in the bottom of the engine and while I got the side out for the oil cooler, the other side wouldn't budge.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:Which side does the block heater go in?

I ask because I tried removing the plugs in the bottom of the engine and while I got the side out for the oil cooler, the other side wouldn't budge.
It should be installed by the water pump/thermostat . I didn't realize theirs a plug by the oil cooler...run two block heaters?!

Photo from Maciek's build :

That plug was seriously on there, I had to use a cheater and even then I was scared something was going to break:
Last edited by dankberries on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Last night and few times before , its been so cold outside that my wheels are freezing. When I go to move my car, i believe only two wheels move and the other two are frozen. Its the wierdest thing to feel.

The only way I can get it to free up is by launching the car.
My best guess is that my brake pads are freezing to the rotor. What's weird is none of my other cars do this..
Do they make wheel heaters? Is this normal?
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Last time I was in colorado in the winter my rear hubs froze in my 91 Toyota pickup. I suspect that the rear brakes didn't create enough heat to evaporate the water from the icy snow buildup. I just did donuts till they broke free, not sure this is the best method but it worked for me. ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

dankberries wrote:It should be installed by the water pump/thermostat . I didn't realize theirs a plug by the oil cooler...run two block heaters?!
There are only two plugs, one on each side. The plug on the pass side is used for the oil cooler. If your engine doesn't have the oil cooler you could put a heater in both plugs.

Regarding the freezing brakes, are the fronts or rears freezing? Are you using your ebrake? You shouldn't use your ebrake in freezing weather, especially slushy/freezing conditions.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:
dankberries wrote:It should be installed by the water pump/thermostat . I didn't realize theirs a plug by the oil cooler...run two block heaters?!
There are only two plugs, one on each side. The plug on the pass side is used for the oil cooler. If your engine doesn't have the oil cooler you could put a heater in both plugs.

Regarding the freezing brakes, are the fronts or rears freezing? Are you using your ebrake? You shouldn't use your ebrake in freezing weather, especially slushy/freezing conditions.
I'm not %100 sure, but I think the diameter of the block heater is larger than the plug/oill cooler. That's just what it looked like when I was under their. It may only fit by the thermo stat/water pump.

--The brakes, yes, I religiously use my e-brake all the time. I also park the car on a hill so I'm paranoid to leave it with no e-brake on.
I'm really not sure if its the front or back freezing as I have never been outside of the car to see it happen. Most likely the back but it felt, at least on one day, that both front and rear right side tires froze. The car in order to go straight..was completely sideways.

Almost everyday this winter I will drive through snow, slush , and other shityness. I get lots of build up and freezing.

On the bright side for the fronts, thanks to having hardly any clearance between caliper and rim, I get no "snow in wheel build ups".
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Mount Evans - the road to the sky-14240 ft above seal level- Highest paved road in North America.

I took these pictures a few miles before the summit. When I got to the summit I experienced 100mph winds, blowing snow, 10ft visibility, falling trees, just absolutely horrendous conditions. They closed the road as I came off the summit. Epic hoonage.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Its been a ruff few days :-| . To start, I developed a nasty hole in the flex section of my turbo up pipe:

So I ended up sourcing some used parts:
Unknown brand aftermarket ELH's w/ up-pipe in heat wrap.
I've really come to hate these headers I bought, fitment really sucked all around, they come very close to the oil filter, so close that I had to remove my oil filter sandwich plate(used for oil psi gauge). Any future oil filter change will inevitably leak oil onto the headers. I also very much dislike the donut style gasket fitting of the up pipe to header.
After the install I went for start up only to be surprised with a 100psi gushing geyser of oil :shock:
I guess the turbo oil feed line broke in the midst of the header install :smt013 :

So now I'm working on the relocation of my oil psi sensor, ideally I would like to put it at the factory oil pressure sensor location but my oil gauge sensor is 1/8 NPT and does not thread into the factory oil psi sensor location .
I'm not sure, but I think the factory size is 1/8in BSPT? So I would need a 1/8in BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female adapter. I was having trouble finding an adapter in that size and ended up coming across this adapter used for on Evo's apparently:
Its a M1? to 1/8in. NPT . I got to thinking i could remove the hole galley plug and swap this in if its the same size/pitch.

These new headers sound totally different, way more Honda..I hate it. Can't wait to get a different setup soon.

On a happier note, my fancy moroso AOS's came in the mail:
Last edited by dankberries on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Good catch on the UP and oil line. Could have ended badly.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

This is what you need to run the 1/8" NPT oil pressure sensor in the stock location.

http://www.deerfieldprecision.com/catal ... ucts_id=38

It's what I'm using with the AEM 0-100 psig pressure sensor

More pics in the link below.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... efault.htm
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:This is what you need to run the 1/8" NPT oil pressure sensor in the stock location.

http://www.deerfieldprecision.com/catal ... ucts_id=38

It's what I'm using with the AEM 0-100 psig
Thank you Josh, that was very helpful. By chance can you confirm what the thread pitch and size is of the OEM sensor and also the galley plug that the sensor is threaded to?
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

The oil psi thread adapter for an evo I purchased for $21 did not work:

And a comparison of OEM Subaru oil psi sensor to 1/8in. NPT aftermarket:
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

I will just go ahead and throw it out their, some of shit I do with this car would make the average person cringe.
I like to live on the wild side, for me that is what life is about.

Tomake up for the un fortunate problems that I was having over the last week, I got the wild hair in my ass to go out and be adventurous. I was invited by some of my friends with four wheeling rigs to go on a trip.
I of course opted to take the Impreza.
January in the middle of winter in Colorado in high altitude on four wheeling trails completely covered in snow, typically only snowmobile accessible during this time of year.

I went with a lifted Toyota Tacoma and a Jeep Rubicon. Both these vehicles where well suited for the conditions. The Rubicon being locked front and rear and also equipped with a winch. Toyota had some lift and tires.

Let me tell you... the expressions from people's faces that were there in the area of the trail where that of astonishment. We where the only people in vehicles. Let alone a f*cking Subaru!

By the end of the day, everyone was cheering me on, people where shaking my hand and greeting me with excitement for the pure jaw dropping aww of the impreza's amazing abilities. I put everything to the test, to the maximum, and hung with best of them.

Of course not without some carnage.
I was going over this ice sheath when it suddenly collapsed and went down:
Had to get winched out of this one lol

This picture is no joke. This shit was 3ft + deep in spots.

I lost both front fender well splash guards, lost a blinker, broke the turbo oil drain hose( luckily spotted this pretty quick before a catastrophe) and popped an intake coupler once. Really not to bad considering.

For the record, the pictures and video don't serve justice for how it really was!
Video's:
http://youtu.be/iJFmSCS2vXY
http://youtu.be/eCPNEK6Dlfg
http://youtu.be/kuILD4SHIbA
My buddys taco at full throttle to get through the snow:
http://youtu.be/WQR_S37cn9w
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

dankberries wrote:Thank you Josh, that was very helpful. By chance can you confirm what the thread pitch and size is of the OEM sensor and also the galley plug that the sensor is threaded to?

Based on the research I did when I was looking at this I believe the OEM pressure switch uses a 1/8" BSPT. I'm not sure what the oil gallery plug thread would be.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks like a blast to go driving through the snow :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Picked up some Sti BBS rims to add to the collection. Really great condition 9/10. They are painted purple atm but I'm excited to paint them gold ! Always had a soft spot for these rims :-)

I also found this adapter that I hope will work for my oil psi sensor:
1/8in. BSPT male to 1/8in. NPT female:
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

March 2017, went on a epic 4 Wheeling endeavor with my off road friends. Once again, I have done the impossible and taken a Subaru where no man has.
This 4 Wheeling trip was on a moderate to advanced trail and was completed entirely with out assistance with the exception of one spot on the trail. In that spot, everyone in the group required wenching. That being said, expresses the caliber of what I accomplished in the Impreza.
I completely realize that any normal person would never attempt such things in a car as the Impreza, but that's exactly what makes me different from the crowd. Maybe it's the Glee of telling you "I told you so" or maybe it's the personal satisfaction of knowing what you are capable of more than your vehicle, either way it sums up me and my motive and is what I draw personal satisfaction from.

I need to collect pictures from friends, but there are photos of the back of my Impreza 6ft off the ground. I plan to add such to the major coming build updates.

In the mean time here is a video to make you cringe:

https://youtu.be/k890mbYBxrg

Metberry gulch
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's awesome!!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

April 2017

The Impreza started loosing oil pressure. Found metal in the oil and proceeded for a rebuild. During the tare down of the motor I discovered 4 oil pump rotor plate screws had backed out substantially. I believe the Motor met it's fate to loosing pressure at the pump(note: that was a new OEM pump with backed out screws at 53k).
Regardless I managed 53,000 miles out of that motor which I consider fair for it's caliber and the abuse I've given it.

Also on tare down I discovered that my cam journals where beginning to become a bit scored. This would Mark the 3rd motor failure with these heads/motor. It was bad enough I decided that I would not use these heads for the rebuild.

November 2017

I finished the rebuild and the car is back and terrorizing dirt Roads.

- I made the decision to transfer the heads from my Legacy Motor to the Impreza motor(I had bigger plans for the legacy anyway).
I upgraded the valve springs, seats, and retainers to supertech parts from the 2004 STi parts I had originally installed. I wanted to keep a strong spring setup with this motor because it's tuned to Rev. High. The supertech springs would match the supertech valves I already had installed.

- I also decided to build a new engine wiring harness from scratch, similar to my legacy(see legacy build journal). All new wires, terminals, pins, and a permanent conversion to COP from wasted.

- Not pictured, I swapped out the vf39 turbo with a rebuilt Mitsubishi td05 with P&P I had sitting on the shelf. I also exchanged the OEM oil and coolant lines for stainless braided lines and AN fittings.

- Not pictured, during the rebuild, with the removal of my mishimoto radiator It decided to start leaking from the core. I replaced the mishimoto with an OEM radiator from my legacy SS.

- Not pictured, during the rebuild, I replaced the headers with a different EL header I had laying around, I also replaced the exhaust from turbo back with a cheap eBay unit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 2018

- I purchased and installed a primitive racing differential guard and front skid plate. I also purchased some Sparco wheels 16x7 5x100 in white color.

October 2018

- I entered in the season final SCCA Colorado Rallycross event.

The track layout was the largest course created of the season, I believe it was over a mile in length. It was a blast to race and the competition was solid. Despite setting the second fastest lap time of 70 cars, I missed making podium due to an encounter with 5 cones on my last lap in the last turn, thus deducting from my overall time. Regardless it was a truly amazing time and the car did very well and went without a single issue.

------> VIDEO LINK 1
------> VIDEO LINK 2

January 2019

- I modified the cheap eBay exhaust system to allow for maximum ground clearance. this included shortening the DP by close to 4 inches and reworking upward angles to the mid pipe with pie cuts and welds.

- I purchased a new Cusco rear LSD unit.

successfully installed the unit into an open r160 carrier with minimal modification. Purchased new carrier and pinion bearings, seals, O-rings, Cusco LSD fluid, and respective new HD axles. Preload torque and backlash set to OEM specs. LSD set to 100% initial torque and 1.5 way.

- I entered in the SCCA Roaring Fork Snow Rally Time Trial Event.

I placed 1st in division of AWD studded tires and ran the fastest track time of 60 cars in all categories.

------> VIDEO LINK

93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That snow rally looked fun!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Some years later update. I've done probably close to 40 events in SCCA with the impreza and the engine is still holding from the last rebuild.

I really enjoy driving this car, it's truly miles of smiles.

I've fixed a few things along the way, I've been through a couple transmissions, I continue to purchase used JDM turbo 4.11 units. In the latest iteration I found a rare JDM 4.11 that features a front LSD (JDM 01 Legacy RSK TY754VBBCA) it's performing quite well. Some day if money and time collaborate I'll put a cusco up front and build a stronger 5 speed.

Power steering pump line burst, converted to a 04' STI pump and used AN lines from chasebays.

But.. to highlight this long time posting, I've been having some issues with the brakes. It seems the long durations of the car living outside when not in use is taking a toll on caliper pistons.
After a thorough look through I discovered that 3 of 4 calipers had atleast one piston froze up. Basically looks like water has made its way in past the seals, probably from freezing in the winter.
Decided to do an over haul on all 4. Purchased new pistons and seals, and while had them out I decided to recoat them, the spray paint I used years ago was all but gone and some..

Rather than spray paint I opted to powder coat. Never done powder coat before so it was a learning curve. I purchased an eastwood gun and powder from prismatic powders and went to town. Picked a gold color, since that followed the previous theme.

Media blasted the past away...

The gold powder coat requires a base coat of super chrome, which is pretty amazing I've got to say:

---------‐-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been competing in a bit more ice racing lately and picked up some WRC ice/snow tires. They only come in 15's and successfully fit them under the nissan calipers.

This first pic is under the 16's I use:

Then the 15's :

93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Those calipers look awesome!

I have set of 4-pot & 2-pots I have been needing to do the same thing. Don't know that I will powder coat, but need to clean up and paint. If i had a media blaster it would be a lot better/easier job. Plus time....I need time :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT