major_tom's alpine '92 SW

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

major_tom
In Neutral

Re: major_tom's alpine '92 SW

Post by major_tom »

Update! I picked up the new motor from a place called Super Rupair in Boulder yesterday...super clean, new sensors, timing belt and seals. I'll post some photos tonight when i get home. My old motor is mostly disconnected, just a few more lines and the radiator need to come out before the new hotness gets loaded in.

On a side note, you guys should see this repair shop...it's more like a repair compound! Two big repair sheds with maybe fifteen lifts each, and a huge quantity and variety of Soobs parked in the lots. It's like heaven lol.
'92 L Wagon "the Yeti" - 295k mi and still running!

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter
major_tom
In Neutral

Post by major_tom »

Baby pictures!

New motor loaded up. I grossly overestimated its size haha. Only took up the last sixth of the truck bed!

Even has my initials on the block! It was meant to be.

It's nice to see a clean engine. Mine was a bit of a leaker. I'll get to that.

Back to a stormy Denver in the Super Duty. Not every day I get to drive something with more than 4 cylinders in it :)

By the time I made it back to the shop, the boys had my old EJ sitting on a milk crate. And now, I give you the dirtiest Subaru engine ever:

RIP @ 239k miles. My old motor was leaking from a good many places: the head gaskets, the valve cover gaskets, even the oil temp sensor. I'm going to try to turn it around and make some cash on the core, otherwise it looks like I've got myself a new coffee table.

New engine mounted and hooked up! All she needs is fluids, which will be done tomorrow. And then comes the first freeway pull :)

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

major_tom wrote: Image
Anyone know what that silver "plug" looking thing is above the "EJ22"? It looks like where the additional crankcase vent would be on the turbo block. I know (at least on my 90 EJ22) that there was not a plug like that.

Do the 91 or 92-94 EJ22 non-turbo engines all have that plug?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Josh, that is a sort of seal thing put on by a rebuilder. It's made to melt or distort if you overheat badly enough, and bam! your warranty is denied.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ahhh
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
major_tom
In Neutral

Post by major_tom »

mike-tracy wrote:Josh, that is a sort of seal thing put on by a rebuilder. It's made to melt or distort if you overheat badly enough, and bam! your warranty is denied.
100% correct. Those were put on by the shop in Boulder. 6 mo/6k mi are the terms they gave me...not bad for such a reasonably priced engine. $750 out the door with everything but the belts, accessories, and intake manifold.

She runs nice now, even pulls a little harder on the highway than before. There was one issue that came from the swap; we discovered that after being doused in oil from the old motor, the mounts have become somewhat shaky. Hopefully those'll be coming out in the next few weeks.

I'm also planning on doing both front axles and tie rods in the next month as well. The boots are pretty shot, and although nothing is making noise down there I'll err on the side of caution and just replace 'em.

Here's some bonus shots from swap weekend:

SO MANY SUBARUS - this is only a third of this shop's stash.

One sweet old Leone!

tibug
In Neutral

Post by tibug »

Cool build thread man. And I dig your photo thread too...cool adventures. We have some of them mountains on a much smaller scale (think at least 3x smaller) in the northeast. Hope to make it out that way someday. I bet that n/a motor struggles at altitude but you seem to make it okay! Good luck with the motor swap. Edit oops I was on the second to last page and didn't see you already got the swap done. Good!