Mike's (s)old 92 SS

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: Mike's 92 SS

Post by Alphius »

I've got to get me a TIG welder... Haha.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Alphius wrote:I've got to get me a TIG welder... Haha.
You know where I live.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
ICEMANFiZ
In Neutral

Post by ICEMANFiZ »

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Thank you, she's very much a work in progress.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Day before Thanksgiving, I was trolling the junkyard like I do, grabbing some interior stuff, when I came across a complete SS! Didn't have anything more serious than my minimalist hand tools, so I called CJ for an assist. Between the 2 of us we stripped the engine down to the shortblock in under 2 hours (would have been quicker, but we took pains not to brake anything, especially wiring) and bought that.

I had planned to build a ej22K dohc engine for the car next year, planned to use an open deck NA block till this block showed up. I'll be swapping the pistons to get a decent compression ratio, probibly ones like these:

https://www.onpfj.com/NPR-Piston-Set-w- ... 10-612.htm

Lastly, Alphius and I were able to meet up and tune the car. 2 weekends ago I got a working wideband controller and sensor in, but we still had huge stumbling problems. We theorized it was all the rain causing the MAF to go on the fritz. Cleaning and drying em out, and swapping in different MAFs didn't help. This weekend we met up on Sunday, a cold but dry day. Sure enough, the car didn't stumbled and MAF voltage didn't MAX out like before.

The issue we were having was directly related to not having fender liners. I preface swapped my car, and didn't put the liners back in. Even though I have the full snorkel inside the fender, water was getting into the airbox and soaking the filter and maf.

Now the car is tuned to 17 psi, with it tapering down to around 15 psi at the top end. This is probably the stock 22t head's fault rather than the turbo. Car pulls hard and runs great! Plug gap is down to 25, I need to open em up to 28 or 30.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Do you think those slugs are going to hold up to the crazy boost you like to run?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I ran 19psi on stock 22e pistons with no problem. Based on my own inspection, they're thicker and heavier than EJ205 pistons, so I'd expect them to hold up to the power with a good tune. ;)
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Alphius wrote:I ran 19psi on stock 22e pistons with no problem. Based on my own inspection, they're thicker and heavier than EJ205 pistons, so I'd expect them to hold up to the power with a good tune. ;)
Good hear from someone who's actually done it.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

More pictures!!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Well just picked up a brand new set of OEM splash guards for the car!! Only like 3 more years till I can put em on.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Couple of updates:

I hit 244000 miles on the chassis in 25 years. Around 20k miles in the 4 years I've owned her. Sadly, she wasn't working for 2 of those years...

I swapped my good summer performance tires on the Saabaru wheels. They desperately need to be a different color, like gold. The Saab isn't mine.

I've had the DCCD transmission for a while but I've never had a way to control it. Without control, it acts mostly RWD which is great in the summer, but garbage (compared to *every* other Subaru I've driven, even FWD!) in the winter. I did a 360* spin on I90 with my kids in the car. Going about 20mph over Snoqualmie Pass in the snow, I pulled a Ken Block and was able to save it before hitting the center median. That prompted this upgrade.

I decided I didn't want to buy an off the shelf $400 automatic controller, and the manual controllers seemed too expensive ($220) for what it did - modulate a 5v PWM signal to the trans.

I keep getting targetted advertising for those Rasberry Pi and Arduino boards, but never had a need for one. Couple years back I was watching this Mighty Car Mods episode: https://youtu.be/JaI9O5yeuWc?list=PLp0K ... JvEJtCIdgl (around the 25:50 mark) and noticed their buddy used an arduino with an auto climate control as the interface to change various performance settings on the car. I stuck that one in the memory banks till now.

I did a search after the spinning incident to see if anyone had ever made a dccd controller with an arduino, and turns out someone had! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rm5iistn9Y I contacted him and he has been helpful in providing hints and a basic diagram on how it should work, electrically.

This one is mine. I have almost all the parts, just need a small rotary encoder knob and some screw type connectors, hardware wise. I also found a design for a 3d printed enclosure that supported an LCD with buttons. I had a couple enclosures printed with HTPLA and ABS plastic material. Due to how the printers work, one layer at a time, the enclosures aren't overly durable, so I plan to coat the outside with epoxy or fiberglass resin, and sand it down to make it look nice. I will be making the buttons out of Sugru.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Keep us posted Mike on the progress of this! I like the EEPROM boot up in that second video "Sketchy DCCD by Brock" :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Definitely digging this home brew dccd option! Good work!
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

this is fucking rad!!!
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Uh, I loved to learn how and what to do with that kind of stuff!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

If you need a hand with programming or wiring or anything, you can hit me up. I've done a few non-car-related Arduino projects before.
Lega-see
In Neutral

Post by Lega-see »

any updates on your build? the photos from Photobucket aren't loading, by the way
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Photobucket started charging it's users for 3rd party photo sharing. So a lot of pics on forums aren't going to work for a while.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I'll eventually transfer my files over to a different host. I'm thinking Flickr.

Basically I have gotten the AC working, and have been enjoying driving it. I have an upcoming engine build that will be done this winter. The recipe includes an "ej22k" and a GT28 turbo. Should be fun :)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

A good buddy is doing the work so I can focus on the RSTi.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Why flickr over imgur? Curious.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

originalcyn wrote:Why flickr over imgur? Curious.
What's the difference between Flickr and imgur? Double curious.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I mean, in general terms, they're both photo hosting sites. Flickr is owned by Yahoo, imgur is owned by itself essentially and was originally intended to be for the reddit community.

I guess it would boil down to whether or not they're both able to hotlink fine. I've kind of personally tried to start moving away from Yahoo services as much as possible. So for me i guess it would be consumer issue. But maybe there's functionality on one or the other that Mike likes or dislikes.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I have a Flickr account already. Hadn't considered imgur. Hotlinking is apparently against imgur's TOS, but they don't seem to enforce that too much. Hmm, more research.

Honestly, my Flickr account is the only thing stopping me from deleting my old Yahoo email
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Ah, didn't realize the hotlinking violation with imgur. Flickr doesn't care about hotlinking?

I'd be more apt to use Yahoo services if they didn't lose every single password and user name they have and then try to hide it lol.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227