Mike's (s)old 92 SS

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mike's 92 SS

Post by Legacy777 »

I may need to remove mine again to find out which HVAC lever is making noise. Hopefully I can get to it from under the dash, but we'll see.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I'll bet you can identify it with the dash in, but it'll take a removal to fix it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Finished installing the black dash. What an improvement over gray! I had trouble finding 3 different plugs but I got it sorted. Now my radiator leaks, anyone got an extra SS radiator?

After I took it for a drive, the car refused to start. I had air and fuel but no spark or CELs. I dug arund the engine bay and it turned out I forgot to put the cam sensor's bolt in so it backed out! Derpa derp. Fixed.

Remaining tasks:
-Install black CDN 'A' pillar trim
-Install glovebox and stereo
-Fix coolant leaks
-Install CDN center console once I get the needed bracket from CFK
-Install GFB EBC and Innovate Wideband
-Fix broken bolt that holds pass front seat in!
-Install black door cards

Prob more stuff I'm forgetting.
The front end creaks and moans on bumpy turns and I suspect the A-arm bushings are shot. I bought some brand new ones off a member years ago, hope I can still find em. I'm also not super happy with the higher front than rear. My friend has a set of H&R Sport Springs on his car and the ride height looks even and great. Here's a pic of my car's twin with them installed:

And another car:
I might get a set once I've sorted more pressing stuff.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Those H&R springs have mad rake. Rear end is much higher than the front. The fenderwell lip is not as tall in the back so you either get a level car with uneven fender gap, or you get a rake like a pickup but even fender gap. It's exactly why almost every aftermarket spring drops the front more than the rear. They are all looking for that perfect balance between rake and level fender gap. Looks like H&R leans toward rake.

Yours definitely is nose up a bit though. ;) We should get together sometime and hang out. I need to check out the white car now that it's finally on the road. Mine is torn apart now though. Haha.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mike-tracy wrote:I'll bet you can identify it with the dash in, but it'll take a removal to fix it.

Yeah, I have to add it to my list of shit to do.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

SILINC3R wrote:See, removing dashes is fun
Lies!

Have an intermittant misfire on 2, and am going through the steps to troubleshoot it. Also, the new radiator works great. It holds pressure and therefore exposed another weak area in the cooling system, the turbo to coolant tank hose! Replaced that too and it's running great except for the misfire.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I installed a set of STI injectors that I had cleaned and flowtested by Dr. Injector (thank you same day turnaround!) and also replaced plugs with stock gapped v-power coppers. Runs real nice. I decided to swap in the robtune since I'm selling the revtronix.

Biggest impression is the revtronix isn't as smooth as the robtune. Both get the job done and are hugely entertaining to drive.

I also swapped in my 4-spoke Momo:
I like the 3-spoke I had, but after 4 or so years it was time for a change.

Two cool cars.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mike-tracy wrote:I'll bet you can identify it with the dash in, but it'll take a removal to fix it.

I looked yesterday and couldn't find the specific culprit. I think the dash will have to come out unfortunately.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I've been thinking about my higher front end with the 04 STI springs, and have a theory on what could work.

I still have the 02-03 prodrive springs that aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Here's with them on the car: (please ignore the rear - I won't be using those!)

VS my current springs:

The spring rates I found online:
04 STI - 225F/194R
Prodrive - 215F/195R

So the rears are about the same, and I'd be softening up the fronts a bit, while getting a better "look." The Bilstein/04STI setup I have now handles great but is a little bit bouncy on the freeway. In person the front height discrepancy is more pronounced.

Thoughts?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I'd use the front springs from the first picture.

I find it odd that you're so high in the front with the stock STI springs. I don't think my 92 was ever that high when I had mine. My whole car was fairly level i believe. I'll dig up a pic.

Do you think it's because of your struts?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....were the struts different between the two pictures?

I agree, I'd use the prodrive springs. The slightly less spring rate should help with the bounciness.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Told you I ran 02-03 Jdm Sti springs and liked them
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The struts were different. With the 6-spokes I had GD 04 STI struts, with the current Enkeis I have the BD Bilsteins. Both sets are inverted, not that it makes a difference for height to my knowlege.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Haven't messed with the car much.

I installed an MSD coilpack with NGK wires designed for a 97+ ej22. Car idles lower and smoother. Hard to say if there's any real improvement other than that.

Now on to the problems: With all the rain we've been having, my sunroof decided to leak. Also, the sunroof and windows don't open any more, and I think there's a link. It's freezing at night and the morning so it's not the end of the world, but I love having a working sunroof and really need windows.

Also, developed some hesitation around 5k rpm. When I step on it, car pulls hard until that point, then backfires and I have to back off the throttle. Car is running super rich, and if I drive all freeway I'm lucky to get 20.x mpg.

Comments?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Does it do it when you floor it or ease into throttle?

I would imagine your sunroof cables are frozen.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

mike-tracy wrote: Also, developed some hesitation around 5k rpm. When I step on it, car pulls hard until that point, then backfires and I have to back off the throttle. Car is running super rich, and if I drive all freeway I'm lucky to get 20.x mpg.
Well folks, this was foreshadowing for a bearing that was about to spin. Black friday after some evening shopping, the car left me stranded on 405. I was angry and upset, as this is the 3rd engine i've personally had in the car. I sold the ej20g setup I originally had (no, not the one you got, Beatersubi), and as far as I know, the engine is still running great. The 1st 22t lasted 40 odd miles, and this one lasted 1000 miles. Both were original, untouched engines, with unknown but high mileage.

I bought another junkyard ej22t short block. Was debating on throwing it in and rebuilding the spun bearing block, but with my luck, I'd blow it up too. Car it came from had 280k miles, and heads were recently rebuilt just like the previous block. That leads me to believe both had a catastrophic event happen, and I was worried about the bearings. So I ordered NPR rings and oem replacement bearings.

2 weekends ago, with the help of my friend Steven, we tore apart the new block. It had certainly overheated, the bearings were in poor shape, even though the car was a runner before it got hit. It dropped 3 of its oil squirters, though only 2 were in the oil pan. Last weekend we had fun reassembling everything, using the new rings and bearings, polished crank and the original pistons and rods, and replaced the missing squirters. Next weekend, the engine goes back into my SS, and barring any more issues, I'll have booooooost again!
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

If u get it running, u should set up another meet/cruise. Would be cool
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

mike-tracy wrote:
mike-tracy wrote: Also, developed some hesitation around 5k rpm. When I step on it, car pulls hard until that point, then backfires and I have to back off the throttle. Car is running super rich, and if I drive all freeway I'm lucky to get 20.x mpg.
Well folks, this was foreshadowing for a bearing that was about to spin. Black friday after some evening shopping, the car left me stranded on 405. I was angry and upset, as this is the 3rd engine i've personally had in the car. I sold the ej20g setup I originally had (no, not the one you got, Beatersubi), and as far as I know, the engine is still running great. The 1st 22t lasted 40 odd miles, and this one lasted 1000 miles. Both were original, untouched engines, with unknown but high mileage.

I bought another junkyard ej22t short block. Was debating on throwing it in and rebuilding the spun bearing block, but with my luck, I'd blow it up too. Car it came from had 280k miles, and heads were recently rebuilt just like the previous block. That leads me to believe both had a catastrophic event happen, and I was worried about the bearings. So I ordered NPR rings and oem replacement bearings.

2 weekends ago, with the help of my friend Steven, we tore apart the new block. It had certainly overheated, the bearings were in poor shape, even though the car was a runner before it got hit. It dropped 3 of its oil squirters, though only 2 were in the oil pan. Last weekend we had fun reassembling everything, using the new rings and bearings, polished crank and the original pistons and rods, and replaced the missing squirters. Next weekend, the engine goes back into my SS, and barring any more issues, I'll have booooooost again!

Glad to see Steven is still in the game! This makes me happy. His block did me well, just wish it didn't have to end the way it did.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I don't know if it'll help you or you'd be interested but there's a guy on facebook I have had some deals with that is parting out a turbo legacy with a rebuilt 22t. No turbo or other accessories.
Last edited by cj91legss on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Thanks CJ. I'll text you
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Got the spun bearing 22t pulled out of the car, and stripped it to the short block. It had so much powdery shiny metal in the oil pan, I didn't feel comfortable reusing it without running it through a parts washer for a while. Learned there is a difference between N/A and ej22t oil pans - the 22t one comes with an extra baffle in it! Never knew.

So we assembled the freshly rebuilt engine, taking our time and enjoying working out in the freezing rain with some beers. Sure made things slow going. With daylight savings we lost an hour. So the engine is in, but it's just button up work before it's ready to start. Sadly, I won't have the opportunity to head down to my friend's and work on it for another 2 weeks. Oh well.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

With any luck, this 'friend' might turn some wrenches on it for you in anticipation of hearing it run again.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Got the car running over the weekend. Had a couple snafus and screw ups, broken parts that needed replacing. And some really, really bad HLAs.

Replaced the front springs, swapped rear garnishes, changed out ABS pump. ABS code is still on, might have a break in the wiring.
Replaced dead ignitor, bad alternator, clutch slave cylinder. Fixed coil pack and crank wiring.

Electric windows no longer work, and the formerly good sunroof doesn't work and leaks really badly. Didn't use to leak.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Typical Subaru problems.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

And the banjo bolt on the power steering pump backed out and caused an epic smoke wall in and around the car. Whoops!