dankberries 1993 Legacy SS

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

dankberries
Second Gear

Re: dankberries 1993 Legacy SS (PHOTO UPDATE! 11/11/15)

Post by dankberries »

xise wrote: how did you get the speedometer to work? isn't the forester speedo a digital signal and the stock cluster a cable?
Yes the speedo is different. I was able to remove the one for the forester and replace it with the legacy one. Same thread pitch and diameter. The digital one works the same as cable, it has the same flat head prong that goes in the tranny.
robertpaige wrote:Man I love SR20DET's, they're underated. Most of my buddies have 240's with SR or RB25 engines. Next project for sure. Haha.

I really, really want to run my IC like that. Shorter pipe length and looks a lot cleaner.
Sr20's really are underrated, awesome fact, they come shot peened from factory.

Intercooler - do it man... Tits.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Worked on installing fog lights this past weekend. More custom fabrication. LOTS of measuring! Felt like I took the front bumper off and on a 100 times!

Custom brackets made from aluminum.
Mounting plate fabbed in milling machine:

Welding pieces together:

Added gusset for reinforcement:

Final product:

I am unable to install the bumper beam do to the flipped intercooler, so I built the brackets from the frame forward. One of these next weekend's I'm planning to build a drift style crash bar from piping. It will likely be two bars going across the front of the FMIC diagonally then turning into the frame rails, also with several horizontal reinforcements.

While I had things apart and was already doing wiring work, I decided to wire up my EDM headlight, City lights.

At the parts store I saw Sylvania has a new LED bulb. Decided to try it out for the City lights:

For the bulbs to fit I had to widen the hole on the headlights where the bulb enters. Just a smig:

I spliced the wiring for the city lights into the corner lights. After some testing this is one of the brightest bulbs I have seen. It's painfully intense to look at.
After installing I realized that there is no reflective material inside the head light for the city lights, so I'm not getting the full potential of the LED. In a future project I plan to disassemble the headlights and add something. These could be pretty bad ass.

City Lights and fogs on:
City Lights, Headlights, and Fogs on:

For wiring the fogs Lights I used an automotive relay which I mounted at the firewall in the engine bay. Tapped power from the fuse box with a "tap a circuit" same as used for my heated seats. I removed my cruise control switch and replaced it with the fog light switch. When I can find the bezel piece that sits below the defrost/cruise, I will reinstall the cruise. I never use CC so its not to bother some.

Awesome upgrade for me living in the mountains. I need all the light I can get.
Last edited by dankberries on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just to note, those are "city lights" not DRL.

Do you have pictures of what you had to modify to get the bulbs to work? I have the euro spec headlights with city lights and yeah they don't have reflectors in there. If they made an LED that fit and changed colors via wifi control....now that'd be cool ;) (My inner ricer is coming out) :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:Just to note, those are "city lights" not DRL.

Do you have pictures of what you had to modify to get the bulbs to work? I have the euro spec headlights with city lights and yeah they don't have reflectors in there. If they made an LED that fit and changed colors via wifi control....now that'd be cool ;) (My inner ricer is coming out) :lol:
The bulbs them selves are a direct replacement. It plugs in the same as the OEM single filament bulb. The LED is rated for 12v 1.7w and the OEM is 12v 10w.

I only had to modify the inlet hole because the shape of the LED bulb was slightly larger. I used a step up bit and enlarged the hole about an 1/8th of an inch. The 3 prong mounting point for the cover stays the same.

Slightly enlarged hole:

At another time I will modify the inside of the headlights with something reflective.
I already found that a flash light, like a big mag light, the reflective piece has an almost perfect shape and design for this. I took the reflective piece out of a mag light and stuck the LED inside for testing. It amplified the brightness and concentrated it to a narrower more straight focused beam. I just have to find some cheap flashlights and sacrifice them for the project. Mag light is too nice to ruin lol.

Note: these Super bright model LED's are for off-road use only. Sylvania has a step down LED bulb that is legal. They also offer different colors.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

So I've fallen in love with LED's. I've replaced just about all of my lights with them. Tails, blinkers, corners, reverse, and soon my interiors, headlights, and fogs.

This weekend I will be taking apart my headlights and building reflectors for my city lights. Instead of using flash light reflectors I'm going to use thin steel with a mirror coating and build a box or triangular shape. I will update with pictures.

I'm going to build LED lights for my headlights and fogs, they will be some where around 30,000 lumens and will be dimmable so I can stay within legal range when needed. This project is a little ways out as I gather the materials, updates will come soon on how I go about doing that. Fun bright stuff for the future.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

New genuine Subaru Parts arriving ! Getting closer!
Last edited by dankberries on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the info on the city light modification. When you work on your reflector, I think one thing to keep in mind is the city lights were never meant to be focused light, more just dispersed light when looking straight at the front of the car. You may be able to modify things to keep that same pattern, but with some more light intensity.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:Thanks for the info on the city light modification. When you work on your reflector, I think one thing to keep in mind is the city lights were never meant to be focused light, more just dispersed light when looking straight at the front of the car. You may be able to modify things to keep that same pattern, but with some more light intensity.
Yes your absolutely right or they would have used a reflector from factory.
My main goal is to improve the beam and intensity. The LED bulbs I'm using solely rely on reflectively, they are not a 360° style bulb.
Im really making them more intense than they were ever intended to be. The law seems to be rather un regulatory in my region of the state. Many people in the mountains use LED light bars and off-road use after market fogs/headlights. With all the wild life and other obstacles I'm working to achieve the most possible light I can come up with without converting to HID's or installing a light bar. I'm not expecting any extreme vast improvements, but anything helps.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Always been a flaw of the 1st gen legacies, pretty much zero aftermarket lighting options. I have been thinking about what to do about head lamps a long time myself. I am definitely interested in what you come up with using those LEDs.
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Busy weekend to say the least, I have made some awesome progress on the EDM city lights.

Recipe for baking EDM headlights as fallows:
First pre heat oven to 200°F. Next Begin disassembling exterior hardware from headlights(metal clips, auto levlers, bulbs exc.)
Find something to support the headlights in the oven, I used a couple small pieces of cherry wood for extra flavor.
Once you and oven are ready, go ahead and bake for 15min.
Once 15min. Is reached its time to remove the light from the oven, caution it will be hot! Especially the glass as it really soaks the heat in, use gloves/mittens. Have something safe to set the headlight on like a towel, its time to act fast before it cools down.
With a couple flat head screw drivers carefully begin separating the glass from the plastic housing. Be extra careful of the sealant, if at all possible try to prevent from stringyness and keep the sealant to plastic housing and less on the glass.

Congratulations you have just successfully baked for first batch of ridiculously expensive EDM headlights!

Now for the part that I'm after, city light housing.

At a hobby store I found a very thin SS sheet with a mirror finish. I planned to use this to construct some reflectivity for the city lights.

I decided based on available room and design that I would build something around the existing housing. I made templates to help get the right angles and sizes.

This is what I came up with in ruff form:
After lots of testing using several different styles of LED's, I just couldn't come up with exactly what I was looking for. While this design certainly increased light intensity, it didn't help to create a more focused and narrow beam. I found that especially with LED's and there design that this would be difficult.

I decided to go back to the drawing board and perhaps give one of my first thoughts of using a flashlight reflector a shot in the dark.

Cheap $5 flashlights sold in a two pack at Walmart:

Customizing the reflector:
This was used to power up the LED's in the house converting 120v to 12v. Pretty nifty:
I tried several different LEDs trying to find the best result. Here is an example of a 360° LED bulb with the cone reflector. Pretty crazy:
Basically in conclusion any side mounted LED design, like the 360° just won't get the correct pattern. I knew that if I could find a front facing LED design I could get better results.
So I found some other LEDs to try. This is what I came up with, in this photo I have finally achieved what I was after, a nice focused beam without any scatter. Notice the nice clean circle formed in the center:

In my final design I got rid of the factory city light housing and replaced it with my custom flash light reflector. I had to trim about an 1/8th in. Over hanging plastic from the headlight reflector so it could still be adjusted with out having interference with my new piece. It in no way affects the headlight beam or reflection, it was more like the manufacture didn't trim the plastic very well.
Sylvania 6000k off-road use only front facing LED.
Hard to see it in there:
I have to say I was surprised. My buddy thought I had my headlights on lol. The results:
Just city lights:

Side notes:
I took apart the auto levlers and regreased the moving components. I took the glass to a buffer and used compound, cleaned things up nicely. I tried making a 1in. Extension sleave on the cone reflector to focus the beam even more, which it did, but it didn't fit to well in the headlight housing so I ditched that idea.

Bonus LED conversion pictures.
Incandescent vs. LED blinkers:
Incandescent vs. LED reverse lights:
Last edited by dankberries on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Nice, but looks kinda like u went over the LEDeep end. Lol
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Not sure what's going on with photobucket but its doing strange things with my photos. I've had to reupload everything.
Sorry if they haven't / aren't visible.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

dankberries wrote:
I have to say I was surprised. My buddy thought I had my headlights on lol. The results:
Nice work!

I would definitely consider replacing my reverse, turn, & brake light bulbs. I'll have to look through your thread to find the link where to order.

Regarding the city lights, it appears that you have light scatter on the ground in front of the car. More than likely you are getting this same scatter upwards. Have you verified this by seeing if there is light on the ceiling when in the garage?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:
dankberries wrote: Regarding the city lights, it appears that you have light scatter on the ground in front of the car. More than likely you are getting this same scatter upwards. Have you verified this by seeing if there is light on the ceiling when in the garage?
Im not sure I would consider that light scatter, its more like there is so much light omitting that it penetrants through the the bumper, likely because of not having a bumper beam to block the light that comes through and also because I had cut out openings under neath the lights for IC piping. Also may be reflecting off the intercooler piping.
After I had done the IC flip and before the city lights I was noticing that it was very illuminated, almost like I installed extra lights at the IC. I kind of like it lol, its cool seeing the IC lit up.
I have a picture in my post where I was testing it on the wall, before my reflector it was a more dispersed circumference, after the reflector I closed the radiant circumference to a smaller more focused diameter. Same concept as adjusting a flashlight beam.

In regards to the lights I've used, I made most of my purchases at advanced auto parts online, I keep getting discounts and mail-in rebates so it has been the most affordable option . Walmart has a smaller selection of LED's but for off the shelf pricing(unless you have a discount) offers a better price.

This is what I used for rear blinkers, reverse, city lights:
Rear corner except they make a red model 194r:
I'm using these for the brakes and front blinkers:

I'm going to switch the brakes and front blinks to these. Front facing LEDs work better for our cars since that style ^ relies on reflection:

I haven't found this style ^ in a 1157 bulb so I will likely convert the socket. They sell the harness/socket at the parts store but I will probably just grab some from a Junkyard.
Last edited by dankberries on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

dankberries wrote:
Im not sure I would consider that light scatter, its more like there is so much light omitting that it penetrants through the the bumper, likely because of not having a bumper beam to block the light that comes through and also because I had cut out openings under neath the lights for IC piping. Also may be reflecting off the intercooler piping.
After I had done the IC flip and before the city lights I was noticing that it was very illuminated, almost like I installed extra lights at the IC. I kind of like it lol, its cool seeing the IC lit up.
I have a picture in my post where I was testing it on the wall, before my reflector it was a more dispersed circumference, after the reflector I closed the radiant circumference to a smaller more focused diameter. Same concept as adjusting a flashlight beam.

Thank you for the info on the LED's you've been using.

Regarding the lights, it is scatter or you could call it being "redirected". The reflector should completely focus the light so that all the light is being sent forward. Since your intercooler is lit up and there's light on the ground you have some part of the reflector OR lens that is causing light to be redirected or scattered to the side/ground/etc.

I mention the headlight lens because the fluting on the lens does impact the light and works in combination with the reflector to provide the correct beam pattern. I had a set of driving lights that put out great light in front of the car, but had this small sliver of light that was displayed on the ground in front of the car and would also be displayed on the garage ceiling since most reflectors are symmetrical. I don't know if this was by design or not, however it did cause drivers in front of me to not like my lights. This was especially true for truckers as I heard over the CB.

I guess the point I'm making is see if you have any light that is shining upwards. If you do, you may want to try and address that as to not blind on-coming or drivers in front of you.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote: I guess the point I'm making is see if you have any light that is shining upwards. If you do, you may want to try and address that as to not blind on-coming or drivers in front of you.
This weekend I will snap a shot of just the headlights on, no city lights, im pretty certain its going to look the same. I haven't verified upward light in the garage yet but I will do that as well. My point being that the light on the ground is a product of the headlights lenses and not the city lights.
I did however ask several friends to verify the intensity when coming toward me and when driving in front of me, no one seemed to think it was over done or blinding. Although I haven't verified with a semi driver.
It is true that the fluting has some effect on the beam, in my testing I put the light in the lense to verify pattern, so in the picture of the beam on the wall, that was done with lense. I believe the lense has dispersed the the light some but the intense spot is still focused in the center. Any dispersed light is suttle.
I'm with you 100% to be sure I'm not blinding anyone or causing a safety concern, if that's the case I will address it further.
Last edited by dankberries on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Took me forever to find these! Slowly im collecting some rare items.
I found a parts hook up at a wrecker in Germany and scored these switches. Took 34 days to get here but they made it here safe!
I have another wrecker hook up in Japan and soon I should be receiving my headlight washer setup!

EDM headlight adjuster switch and lower bezel piece with headlight washer switch:
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah that lower bezel is cool. The cubby they gave us on the north american cars is pretty much worthless.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That was kind of them to include a pigtail on the back. Usually that's not the case :(
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The pig tail is part of the switch for the levelers.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

My leveler didnt come with extra wire, just the plug coming off the back. Dscoobydoo assures me that its the same plug as an 04+ STI. Just got to find someone willing to cut up their STI harness for that plug lol.
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

mike-tracy wrote:My leveler didnt come with extra wire, just the plug coming off the back. Dscoobydoo assures me that its the same plug as an 04+ STI. Just got to find someone willing to cut up their STI harness for that plug lol.
Are you saying you have a depinned plug? Like you have the male end that plugs into the switch? With no wire though?
If that's the case you can purchase pins at pep boys or online. Or even take pins from an old plug if you have a spare.
The male plug looks very similar to other plugs in the legacy, I'm willing to bet that you could find it if you have an extra wiring harness to harvest from, or even a junk yard car.
I have several extra harness's, I would be willing to take a look and see if I can find it, if I did I would be willing to ship it to ya.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah thats a good idea. Ill just find a matching male/female pair at the junkyard. Thx :)
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Got some new LED's in the mail to try out for front blinkers/DRL's. I was going to switch the socket to a 7443 sylvania bulb but I thought before I did that I should try these 1157 bulbs I found.
They are called a switchback LED's, when not blinking they use 10 5730 high power smd LED's in Xenon white putting out 55 lumens per bulb, and when blinking they switch to 10 5730 high power smd LED's in amber color, also 55 lumens per. They feature LEDs around the side like a 360° bulb but also have two front facing LEDs(4 total) that go through a projector lense on top.

What they look like:

Results:

Over all I'm pretty satisfied.
Cons - Not Sylvania's which come with a lifetime warranty
Pros - Still LED's that should last a long time & bright AF!
Link for bulbs I purchased
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Got my stainless braided turbo lines in the mail today for the DOHC swap, turbo oil feed, oil drain, and coolant lines:

With the unseasonably nice weather lately I decided to wash the car for the first time in a couple months, although we are about to get pounded with snow over the next few days lol. Got a new phone with a 21mp camera so I can take higher quality photos now:
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz