91 SS build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Mister Anderson
First Gear

91 SS build

Post by Mister Anderson »

As the title states...

After leaving my sedan mostly stock for the last few years I have decided to do a budget build. Originally, I was going to buy a EJ20G off of eBay and just swap it in, as my stock engine has 300k on it. Well that ended up snowballing....

Build List:

*1993 EJ20G WRX RA engine and transmission. The engine is closed deck.
-Wiseco pistons (these are on order from Wiseco)
-STi rods with ARP2000 bolts
-Cometic HGs
-ARP head studs
-Nissan 740cc injectors (probably swap to top feed later)
-FP Green HTZ (on order from Forced Performance)
- ACL bearings

*Subaru AWIC. Possibly adding a water/meth kit with the AWIC if need be.
*HalTech E8 stand-alone. Borrowing from the wagon
-3 bar MAP
-IAC
*GFB GF2 EBC
*Innovate wideband
*93 WRX RA transmission with 4.11

That’s what I have so far. I’ll post some pictures of the progress later.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper
mike-tracy

Re: 91 SS build

Post by mike-tracy »

This is exciting stuff!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Mister Anderson
First Gear

I got burned out on Subaru stuff the last couple of years, but my buddy that has a 97 Impreza that has pretty much the same build is sparking my interest again. I need to update the 93 build thread really bad. I had Lee build me a full carbon hood, and sun roof delete. I highly recommend him. He and his wife are very nice.

The plan with this car (the 91) is to pretty much make a drag puller versus a well balanced car.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

i really want a hood for my wagon! soon!
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Re: 91 SS build (big update)

Well here is a pretty big update. Things have snowballed, and I have gone down the rabbit hole on this project. stayed tuned.

This last spring was a pretty fun few months with the car. I made numerous trips across the state from Spokane to Vancouver. I also drove the hell out of it. That includes trips to the drag strip. I figured I would drive the car hard since it was all coming apart this last summer.

Here are a few pictures from this Spring:

Part 1

I decided for some reason, to rebush the entire car, front/rear.
I bought a Whiteline vehicle essentials kit for a gen 1 impreza. The other bushings I bought separately are as follow: Whiteline outrigger bushings, Kartboy endlinks, polyurethane sway bar bushings.

I tore all the front components off the front cross member . This includes the power steering rack assembly, control arms, and brakes. I media blasted the front control arms, front cross member, rear lateral links, rear trailing arms, and trailing arm mounts. After that I painted them all black.

The outrigger bushings on diff support (the ones on the giant T in front of the diff) were rather fun to get out lol. I made a press tool set on the lathe to help get them out. I found that if I applied 2 tons on the press and then gently heated up the outer shell the bushing would start to move. I could see this happening while I applied more heat I could start to see the pressure drop on the gauge. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of my press tool set. I did however take a picture of the press tool I made to press in the new bushing.

Front reassembled for the most part:

I upgraded the front brakes to LGT's. The Advan TC 16 in wheels fit, but just barely lol.

I have the power steering rack cleaned, and ready to go back together. I bought all the oem seals from the stealership to overhaul it lol.

Part 2

I received all the engine parts back from the machine shop. I had the deck surfaces decked, cylinders bored to 93mm for Wiseco pistons, the STI rods were resized with ARP 2000 fasteners, crank polished, and the entire rotating assembly balanced including the FW/PP. I'm just waiting on bearings before I assemble the block.

A preview of whats coming up:

Making a set of blast plates out of stainless.

The FP Green HTZ in all it's glory!

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 91 SS build (big update)

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice update!

Yeah, those metal collared bushings are a pain in the butt! I didn't have a press and took mine to a shop. He told me, don't tell your friend where you got this done I don't want to do any more. :lol:

I was going to rebuild the rack on the my Impreza, had the reseal kit, but I either didn't have the tools to take it apart or it was just going to be a pain in the butt and I didn't want to deal with it. I still have the reseal kit.

What are you building blast plates for?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Fancy stuff! Good luck!
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I hadn't really heard of that turbo before, it sounds like an absolute monster!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Mister Anderson
First Gear

I could see why a shop would't want to remove those bushings lol. I spent half my time just machining 3 sets of press tools for the various bushings on the car. If someone needed to have a couple removed I wouldn't mind doing it for free for fellow legacy enthusiasts. I really rebushed the car as an experiment. I'm very interested in how much, or if any benefit from the higher durometer.

Here are all the part numbers for the bushing kits I used:
-Whiteline vehicle essentials kit, WHI WEK073
-Whiteline rear bushing kit, WHI 83133901
-Whiteline diff support outrigger bushings, WHI W91379
-Super pro swaybar bushing kit 20mm, SPP SPF1383-20K

All these bushings minus the swaybar bushings, will work without any modification to make them fit. On the 91 I found that the rear swaybar was around 19.5mm, but on the wagon it was around 16ishmm. Also, since the rear swaybar is different than the 92-94 legacy's the lower rear lateral link is also different because of the way the 91 swaybar mounts. The bushings are the same on the lateral links regardless of the year.

The blast plates have been an interesting topic as of lately. My buddy is a mechanical engineer, and we talked about the the possibility of the case flexing under heavy loads. This could cause the gear lash to be off, and possibly cause the gears to bind, and or fail. He has been running blast plates on his wagon with a Forester XT transmission for a while now. I believe he said that his car puts out around 300WHP with the GTX3071 he is using. His car gets launched hard all the time and has not blown the trans yet. When he had the other transmission in with no blast plates it lasted a couple of days I believe lol. None of this is really scientific, but more or less just a test.

Here is a pic of the bast plates:

Mike,

The FP Green HTZ has a TD06H hot side. The compressor wheel is billet, and has a 54.8mm inducer/76mm exducer. Most people see around 400-450 WHP on pump gas, and around 500-550WHP on E85. I got my green when it was on sale for 900 bucks.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How are the blast plates connected to the transmission?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm