Saab IC install, very worthwhile

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Natoe
First Gear

Saab IC install, very worthwhile

Post by Natoe »

Got my saab intercooler and piping from blackbart today (thanks!) installed and put boost at 12lbs....

really amazing difference in power(WOW) and spool time(just a tad longer), it is really great and worth your while.

i also relocated the coolant tank a lil while back, 5ft of 1/2" hose and 2ft of 5/16" hose and i used every inch it was perfect. i suggest getting just a lil more hose than that though.

like my duct tape air splitter? :)

pics: (in my impreza)

bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

wow looks really good
is moving the coolent tank nessisary?
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

i dont believe it is necessary, since many have gone without moving it. but i see no reason not to move it, it gets very close to the intercooler in stock location, and it only costs 8 dollars an 15 minutes to lengthen the hoses to where i mounted it and not risk breaking off the nipples.
Radial GT1
First Gear

Post by Radial GT1 »

Or 3 broken plastic nipples..... Like mine were when I bought the car.

That looks great! I will be doing the same very soon.
00 Camry; No wrenchin', just drive. Thank you Japan!

93 Legacy SS 4Eat 96K; All the wrenching I could ask for.

[quote="un-named"]What a man & a woman, and another man with a sheep & a midget want to do is their own business...[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on!

I remember when I installed my first TMIC (it was a saab 900 too) and it was soooo cool. The sound is awesome too, huh?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I dan't wait to get my WRX i/c installe dand crank the boost now.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

yeah i would like to do more now since this turned out so great. how much boost do people usually put through the saab IC's with the vf-11? im gonna rig up a VRG FCD here soon. im running at just below boost cut, 12lb's.

i would really like to get a wrx IC to work, might try that next, using the stock y pipe and all.

as for sound, turbo noise isnt much louder since i already have a downpipe it is the noisiest. the stock BPV makes a flutter noise which is kinda funny or "cute" hahaha
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

That's all I'm gonna probably run, at least until I get bored and build the FCD.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

12 is all it lets you run for more than 3 seconds, till you have the FCD
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I know that.

I figure I'll get bored with the power I'm making, then build the FCD so I can up it a bit more.

I have seen poeple running as much as 15 PSI with a similar setup on the stock turbo, but that's pushing the efficiency range of the turbo.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

interesting, but doesnt that max out the MAF signal? and can fueling keep up with 15 pounds?

i was almost maxxing my MAF at 10psi non intercooled (5.1V), havent checked again yet.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I think that's pushing the fuel system.

I'm honestly not sure where the MAF signal tops out. I'm gonna get EM, larger injectors (already got the fuel pump) and a larger turbo before I try anything too drastic, though.

Either that, or do an STI drivetrain swap. whatever I get the money and time for.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

ya i am debating going EJ20G.. but im not sure yet, maybe just blow this one up first.

i have a wrx pump in, but would like some bigger injectors and some kinda EM.

im guessing that my MAF sensor is maxxed out, which just means it will start running lean up top, feel faster, and then blow up haha. might try gettin a wrx top mount on there again, just for fun.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I don't think your MAF should be maxing out so soon. I've got a TD04 at 16psi on my stock MAF, although I've never measured it's voltage. IIRC, someone on here measured theirs with a 16G and maxed out at about 15 psi. I do have a bad memory though!
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

hmm interesting, i just assumed that its a 5.4V maf or something, since i was getting 5.1V at high rpm in 4th at 10psi non intercooled, i thought the increased airflow would max it, can anyone else chip in their thoughts on this?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you're reading that from the scan tool.....it's not right.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The scan tool reports 5.10 volts when the sensor's range is exceeded.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

ok thanks, so im maxxing the MAF :P

the scantool showed it slowy increasing to like 4.9 and then at like 5750 in 4th @ 10psi it went to 5.1...

so would bigger injectors and an SAFC help here? i could tone down what MAF voltage the ECU sees, so it wouldnt fuel as much except that with bigger injectors i could find a middle ground.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

No. Turning the voltage down won't increase the sensor's range.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

doh, im thinking about this wrong. using a different MAF, say an NA plastic cylinder one, can you tune that with an AFC? or what else could i do? ill look around some more, im sure the answer is out there.
thanks
boro
Second Gear

Post by boro »

not to dig up something so old, bit I just got a Saab TMIC, I need some advice on IC piping. What did you guys use?
dbuzz77
In Neutral

Saab I/C

Post by dbuzz77 »

ya, where did you get the transition pieces from the i/c to the other stuff?
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

just fab up a pipe to go most of the way that has a fitting on it for the BOV hose. then find some hoses that can slightly change diameter to tighten down to the IC and turbo outlet.