Antifreeze, water, & water wetter mix
22%

Total votes: 9

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

AWIC Fluid Mixture

Post by Legacy777 »

So I'm curious what those of you running an AWIC setup are using for your heat transfer medium. Pure water, water & water wetter, anti-freeze, etc...?

I'm bringing up the issue because I'm not confident on the ability of the water wetter alone to provide enough corrosion inibitor for the aluminum and for the pump seals, plus I think the thermal expansion of just water alone is higher then that of a water & anti-freeze mix.

From some of the info I have read at work, a minimum of 25-30% of ethylene glycol is needed to maintain corrosion & bacterial growth protection, as well as inhibitor stability over the operational lifecycle of the fluid.

I'm going to do a little more research, but what I'm probably going to do is mix up a gallon mixture of distilled water with 25% EG (anti-freeze), and the appropriate water wetter for that quantity.

Added a poll for the hell of it :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I flushed out all the old fluid yesterday. There was some green oxidation on the bronze casting for the pump impeller.

I ended up using 25% antifreeze, 75% distilled water, and 3.5 oz of WW. I mixed up a gallon jug of the stuff. I only used about 5 cups I think in the intercooler.

I think this mix will work a lot better, especially now that I have the expansion tank hooked up. I was losing water before, and just added water in, so the water wetter mix was probably pretty diluted, and not providing adequate protection.

I'm going to be going to San Antonio for Christmas, and will be taking the Legacy, so we'll see how everything works on a long trip.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

i_c_the_light
First Gear

Post by i_c_the_light »

MEGA BUMP.

I use water/antifreeze. I have no idea what the ratio is, I just dumped a litre of antifreeze in then filled the rest with water.

Going to actually drain and flush out properly over the weekend. Will probably use water/wetter mix this time or actually do a measured amount of water/antifreeze.
1990 Legacy GT wagon. 100% JDM, 100% factory.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Don't use too much water wetter as the mix will foam. I'd recommend measuring things out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I usually run 50/50 ethylene glycol/water mix...

Except since the fluid magically disappears...I use plain water a lot...

I intend to try methanol/water mix soon
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust