wrx metal coolant tank

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LEAVINALEGACY93
In Neutral

wrx metal coolant tank

Post by LEAVINALEGACY93 »

i just replaced my plastic tank with the wrx metal 1 , and the person that installed it with me said i shouldnt use the metal cap from the wrx tank , i should use my stock legacy cap

the stock legacy cap pressure is 0.9
and the wrx cap is 1.1

which should i use?
whats burping the coolant?

either way there is a difference, i went with the legacy cap and took it for a drive and its fine for 20 mins then i get on the highway and check engine light comes on , i pull over shut off car it still comes on, i accelerate it seems fine then driving 80-90kmh the car feels sluggish, and when i step on gas little power and ebrake light and the orange tranny or engine shape light flash, then it was even happening when i would let off the gas, on my way home it was ok with more power , but engine light was still on?

any ideas?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'd say to use a new 0.9-bar cap.

"Burping" means getting all the air bubbles out of the cooling system.

The cooling system probably isn't related to the problem you're experiencing. Read the trouble codes and then you can start diagnosing.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LEAVINALEGACY93
In Neutral

ok i read up on this last night for a couple hrs , today i re fitted some of the hose so it doesnt go higher than tank , the large hose that goes to turbo was real close to the throttle cable.

whats the spark plug lookin thing that goes into the turbo?

it had a a few wires that were not covered so i put some electrical tape over , mabe water hit the wire lastnight when it was snowing , this is possible cuz i have no chimney on my car.

after doing this i started up the car and let it run for a bit , no check engine light , no error codes

is my leggy a transformer ? and fixed itself , or do you think the gremlins are waiting to come out when i take it for a ride?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Spark plug looking thing that goes into the turbo? I can't picture what you mean... Any chance you could take a picture?

What wires were uncovered? Do you mean they were bare copper? Because that's bad, and could have something to do with the unpredictably weird running.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Spark plug thing = O2 sensor?
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, good call... That must be it. To be precise, it's threaded into the downpipe rather than the turbo itself. But, yeah, that must be what LEAVINALEGACY93 is talking about.
LEAVINALEGACY93
In Neutral

yes it is threaded into the down pipe,not the turbo, sorry.

yes there should be a black rubber or plastic cover , but there is an inch gap and i can see the 3or 4 wires red yellow , i cant remember the other colours(it cold -16 with windchill, so i wasnt dog f ***ing). i believe the red wire was exposed n i could see a little of the wire.

but there was abit of snow that was on the hood and the snow was coming down pretty hard , if this sensor got wet with open wire could it have made the car drive like that? with check engine flashing , e brake to

or petro canada gas i put in 20 min b4 it started acting up?

or cause i haddnt driven the car for 4-5 days?

sorry for so many scenarios , it could be any of these or something else entirely.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The slight gap in the outermost sheath is fine as long as the copper itself is still covered.

If the oxygen sensor's signal wire was exposed and got wet it could have caused rough running.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

hey he must be talking of this

anyone can tell what is this

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Its the oxygen sensor.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

ohh thx i tough the oxigen sensor was under the car.
so this is it great very easy to replace any procaution before changing the o2 sensor disconnect battery or something
Spitfire999
First Gear

Post by Spitfire999 »

Here is something interesting. I know you guys have said use the 0.9 bar cap...well recently my 0.9 one broke (rubber seal crumbled), so I switched to the 1.1 wrx cap, and I swear that it raised my idle. Previously, it would bounce around 250-300 at rest, now its sitting happily at 500.

I can't really think of anything else that could have done this, but maybe I am mistaken.

Thoughts?

Ben
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »