Air/Water intercooler on USDM legacy turbo?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

stipro wrote:Just a quick question regarding the turbo to intercooler y-pipe, what are you using? home made or stock or both? Any pics?
Stock...albeit they are hard to track down!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

555BCTurbo wrote:
stipro wrote:Just a quick question regarding the turbo to intercooler y-pipe, what are you using? home made or stock or both? Any pics?
Stock...albeit they are hard to track down!
Thats awesome considering I have the entire stock setup, intercooler w/y-pipe, pump, and radiator. This should make it even easier to install than my 02 wrx intercooler was.
Last edited by stipro on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
jeffast
First Gear

Post by jeffast »

dammit where is rick, he has one on his legacy turbo, but i cant remember his name on this board i'll tell him to post on this thread tommorow
92 SVX LSL tour- 5spd swap baby
92 turbo touring wagon now also 5-speed swapped
89 xt6 stock
[quote="danetrain"]Fuck wyoming[/quote]
legacybrad
In Neutral

Post by legacybrad »

SubaruNation wrote:dont do the saab 900.

get a 06/07 wrx/forester top mount intercooler.
it will save you alot of hassle and time.

easy to install too

is it only the 06/07 wrx intercooler that works or can a 02/03 work because a buddy is seling his
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

legacybrad wrote:
SubaruNation wrote:dont do the saab 900.

get a 06/07 wrx/forester top mount intercooler.
it will save you alot of hassle and time.

easy to install too

is it only the 06/07 wrx intercooler that works or can a 02/03 work because a buddy is seling his
the 02/03 air2air is a WAY bigger hassle than you need to do.
you'll probably end up putting an xtra 5 hrs+ of your labor in on the 02/03 IC
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

anyne here know that i am looking for an intercooler to get myh mbc to work i found this is this may work what do you think

http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/search.php?q=SUBARU
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

if you need a 90* hose for the VF 11 you will want the 1.75 ID hose from
Here--->http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... 9301d2eb1f

you'll need it for an intercooler install
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

So installing a 02/03 WRX intercooler is one of the harder ones?? Well can it still work tho, because i can get one with Y-pipe and flange gasket for super cheap! if you can use an 02/03 wrx intercooler please let me know whats all need to make this year of intercooler to work.
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Tommio RS wrote:So installing a 02/03 WRX intercooler is one of the harder ones?? Well can it still work tho, because i can get one with Y-pipe and flange gasket for super cheap! if you can use an 02/03 wrx intercooler please let me know whats all need to make this year of intercooler to work.

In order for the 02/03 tmic to work you will need to shave down your TB or the intercooler for it to fit properly. if you run the 02/03 it was not as efficient as my 06/07 tmic. the later tmic will be easier to install, plus it will fit between the fire wall with out knocking it self into the fire wall. The down sides are what everyone else has said about the 45 degree clocking of the vf11, for the tmic inlet, it would have to be a custom piece. another item is the bpv or blow of valve. since our cars run a inline bpv you'll need a mounting plate made or ebayed as other members I have meet are running, the plate itself fits in the tmic location with a 90 degree line coming out of it so you can continue running the stock valve, with a 02/06 tmic you Cannot run a wrx pbv considering that your cruise control will not accommodate the valve to fit. if you run an after market valve make sure you recirculate the air back into the system as one member has said that it will cause you to run your engine lean causing a detonation.
I'm personally running an 06/07 tmic with a hks ssqv+ a samco charge tube with an extension between the 90 degree section from the turbo outlet and the tmic y inlets.
The JDM AWIC's I believe are 14-16% more efficient than any intercooler+ there is less heat soak to deal with, I'm about to put a Awic in my SS with a ej20g. there is a bit of fabrication to deal with but the extra percentage is worth the time and money to run.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
i_c_the_light
First Gear

Post by i_c_the_light »

jeffast wrote:dammit where is rick, he has one on his legacy turbo, but i cant remember his name on this board i'll tell him to post on this thread tommorow

My name is Rick, and I do have an AWIC on my Legacy turbo...but I don't think I'm THAT Rick.
1990 Legacy GT wagon. 100% JDM, 100% factory.