Air/Water intercooler on USDM legacy turbo?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Air/Water intercooler on USDM legacy turbo?

Post by Tommio RS »

Hi! I have i have a 1993 Legacy Turbo and its dying for an intercooler.
I have been checking out all the types of intercoolers you guys run EX: WRX, Forester XT, and the Saab 900... and i was wondering if it is any easier to run the Air/water intercooler from a JDM car? Cuz i really dont feel like doing a whole lot of relocating and that setup seems to look a bit for friendly. So bottem line, can i run that air/water intercooler in my legacy turbo? and how much performace can i gain from it?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I have an AWIC in mine...and it works great
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Cool. very cool. Now how hard is it in install to my 93 legacy turbo? All i know is that i need 3 parts to make it work. The AWIC itself and a pump of sorts and a mini radiator like thing. I hope there not much more than that. OOO and i forgot. how much would a set up like that cost me? for it to be all said and done?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If you want to run some decent power, you might want to get a separate reservoir also. It's tough to say how much it would cost as the AWIC units are auction items usually and unless you can get the whole system, you'll have to source the pump and heat exchanger yourself. Josh has one on his and I think he's running a larger reservoir also.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you search there's some more info. Please take a look at a couple of my threads for more info.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... light=awic

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... light=awic

An A/A IC is going to be easier to install. Trust me.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm it does seem a wee bit difficult but it does seem worth it. I really like the stockish look it give off. My goal for my legacy it to get 200Hp to 250Hp give or take. I would be totally happy with 200HP! And i really like the fact of having low end power over top end. I love the torque i have! and the intercooler should raise them numbers up a bit. So now my question is it worth the time for the AWIC or just a WRX/Forester Xt intercooler.

PS: which is the easiest one out there? there is soo many takes one whats easy!

Thanks!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The AWIC setup will cost you more money....there's just more components involved.

I tend to be a perfectionist with fitment and making sure everything fits well. Others don't have that same attitude, which is fine. But without knowing how you are, and your fabrication/modification skills, it'd be a little difficult to say which is better.

The AWIC setup is nice, especially for city driving, and does not appear to have the massive heat soak issues like the TMIC does.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm very interesting. Well then i have read around that the Saab 900 intercooler is one of the easiest intercoolers out there to install. I do really like the AWIC setup idea but it seems to have a high price. Even on ebay the air/water intercooler itself cost over 100 min not to mention that ill need the rad and pump to go with it. So my new question is, What about the Saab 900 intercooler? is it any good? will i get the job done? and it seems to be much cheaper for my budget.

Thanks!!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i think in the end you're going to be spending about 150 on everything MINIMUM.

no matter what intercooler you choose to install.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

$150 for everything is good with me. I keep on finding Saab 900 intercooler for really cheap are they any good for a legacy turbo?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dont do the saab 900.

get a 06/07 wrx/forester top mount intercooler.
it will save you alot of hassle and time.

easy to install too
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Okay. That seems to be the better idea . Also it will look mucho better than the Saab one! and a Wrx/ For XT intercooler will work fine with my stock VF11 turbo?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yeah, i'm running it right now.
you'll need a 90* hose (radiator or silicon) with an ID of 1.75 AND some kind of 45* mandrel bent metal pipe.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

K. Well the WRX intercooler is easy to find and seems to be a good option but, the AWIC from a JDM legacy just seems to look like a more tight clean package. I would lean toward running the AWIC over the WRX because that looks more sleeper to me. OOO last question. What has better cooling around the city? Thats where i will be running it the most.

PS: I am running a 4EAT not a 5MT

Thanks!
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Tomio RS wrote: What has better cooling around the city? That's where i will be running it the most.

PS: I am running a 4EAT not a 5MT

Thanks!
The AWIC would be better than an air to air intercooler around town and especially in stop and go traffic. They are less prone to heat soak. The air to air IC is susceptible to heat soak,from the exhaust and under hood temps, caused by sitting for periods of time without air movement across the intercooler.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Here's what my setup looks like...

Nick

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

isn't installing one of those WAY harder though?
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Dude that looks sweet! Do you run a 5MT or a 4EAT? Do you run the stock turbo? It looks like it was born to be there! I love it! I think i will might have to get one.

serious now... is it really that difficult? I would totally do that setup if its not to hard.

PS: i see that you removed the AC from your car! guess ya didnt need it anyways... well i sure dont. my compressor is sezed
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Tommio RS wrote:Dude that looks sweet! Do you run a 5MT or a 4EAT? Do you run the stock turbo? It looks like it was born to be there! I love it! I think i will might have to get one.

My car is a 5 speed, and the turbo is a VF8...

It fits perfectly
Nick

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

OOO nice. With that intercooler, turbo and probably a turbo back combo your probably getting dam good power compared to stock! I totally wish i had the money for that now.

Another quick question!
Your VF8 when does the power come on? My quick guess is a little bit later than the stock.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Tommio RS wrote:OOO nice. With that intercooler, turbo and probably a turbo back combo your probably getting dam good power compared to stock! I totally wish i had the money for that now.

Another quick question!
Your VF8 when does the power come on? My quick guess is a little bit later than the stock.

Yeah...it shits and gets pretty well...

The turbo is usually at full boost before 4000 rpm...but I also run it pretty hard...

15 psi can usually be had around 3000 rpm for me with the VF8
Nick

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Dam... 4000rpm. Thats kinda high but the fact that you get 15psi at 3000rpm is what im looking at! I love the low end power. So how much power do you have with this setup? I would love to know what kinda power my car can acctually handle!

Now i wonder is it possiable to get crazy low end power out of my legacy?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Tommio RS wrote:So how much power do you have with this setup?

Not a clue...all I know is that it makes me smile
Nick

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Lol. K. Thats still whickass man. Well all this info is gold to me! Now i just need to pick up some stuff and start creating!
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Just a quick question regarding the turbo to intercooler y-pipe, what are you using? home made or stock or both? Any pics?
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project