Home-built H2O/Meth kit --- WITH PICS AND DIAGRAM!!!

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Boostedballs
First Gear

Home-built H2O/Meth kit --- WITH PICS AND DIAGRAM!!!

Post by Boostedballs »

I tested it today with a thermocouple in the intake before the TB. It dropped the intake temps 20-25F at WOT. I'm happy with it. The temps were up to 182F without the H2O/Meth spraying; they didn't go over 160F under the same conditions with the meth spraying. I have no intercooler (obviously).

Here's the basics:

No pump, just an ABS air tank that pressurizes the stainless meth reservoir. Then a 12v solenoid that is actuated by a switch that closes under WOT. This goes straight to the nozzle on the intake tube. I was going to use the setup from an air-ride suspension but it's easier, more reliable and lighter to use the ABS tank to store air. The tank only drops 20psi at the end of the 1/2 gallon of meth. Flow is 200cc/min at 80psi and it drops to 180cc/min at 60psi, when the juice runs empty. This is in the range of what I need for my HP goals of 300.

There are 2 safety valves and a bleed valve in all the right places so I don't fill up my engine with meth as the car sits overnight. That would be bad.

I am guessing that I have less than $100 into the whole thing, and I know I could make a rev B cheaper than that.

I'll get some photos up of the system slapped together. Now that I know it works well, I'll plumb it together a little prettier.
Last edited by Boostedballs on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

A few things about the kit:

I built the reserviour out of stainless but some ABS would work just as well.
You could even use just one tank that will hold your fluid as well as supply air pressure.
The air tank could be mounted anywhere on the car. I was going to mount a long 2: ABS tube to the bottom of the car but I already had a bunch of 4" drain pipe and it doesn't weight enough to worry about affecting the car's handling.
When drilling into the tanks to install fittings- it makes more since to drill through the cap and into the tube underneight so you will have more meat around the fitting and less chance of cracking. I've used this same material for spud guns and have never had a failure when using starting fluid as my fuel. The 150psi for the water injection is nothing.
I bought the solenoid from McMaster-Carr for $48 and shipping was fast.
My system currently uses an Ebay fogger nozzle rated at 300cc/min. It was only $15 or so and work awesome. I plan to use a NOS nozzle so I can change jet size very quickly.
I used 1/4 nylon hose for much of the kit but I plan on using stainless-over-PVC icemaker line for the whole system. The nylon is rated at 150psi and the stainless-over-PVC is rated for burst at over 1000psi. Nylon is cheap, icemaker line is not.
The solenoid can be mounted anywhere on the car since the nozzle doesn't see vacuum if mounted upstream of the throttlebody. This way, there is always liquid sitting in the line right at the nozzle for quick activation. The solenoid is rated for 175F so mounting on the engine is not a good idea.
The 1/4 turn ball valves should be mounted near the driver so you don't forget to shut them off. Otherwise, if the solenoid leaks, the system could slowly drain into the engine with the engine off. That would be bad.
The valve stem is mounted on the reservoiur side of the 1/4 turn ball valve so it can also be used to vent the reserviour and keep pressure in the air tank. This will eleminate the possibility of hydrolocking the engine it the other ball valve and the solenoid leaked.
The filter inside the tank can be just about any kind of filter because doesn't actually see any pressure differential. I wouldn't use steel though. It would be easier to install the filter before you put the last cap on the reservour.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I dont see in your diagram where the pressure is built. And ABS air tank, you mean ABS plastic?
Kickin' it old-school.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Arctic Assassian wrote:I dont see in your diagram where the pressure is built. And ABS air tank, you mean ABS plastic?
The tank is filled via the valve stem. The valve stem can also be used to vent the reserviour without venting the air tank. So you can refill the reserviour without letting all of your air pressure out of the whole system.

Yup, the ABS tank is 4" ABS plastic drainage pipe (sched 80 I think? about 1/4" thick). OR- you can delete the ABS tank and let a compressor from an air ride suspension supply the air pressure for the reserviour. The air ride compressor gives about 120psi, which is plenty for this setup.

So far, I have ran almost 1.5-2 tanks of gas for one tank of meth. It will obviously drain faster with larger nozzle jets and pressure switches.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Very Cool. Are you at stock turbo pressure levels?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

biggreen96 wrote:Very Cool. Are you at stock turbo pressure levels?
yep, just running stock boost control for now. I didn't want to up the boost with the meth injection only spraying at WOT. I'm stuck in Israel right now and when I get back I'll be setting up a side mount water-to-air intercooler and possibly adding another meth injector and solenoid with a pressure switch. THEN I'll be upping the boost.