intercooler piping and bov question

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

the_watts10
First Gear

intercooler piping and bov question

Post by the_watts10 »

hey guys theres a car tuning shop near my house and they pointed out a very good solution to fmic intercooler piping and they said that running the piping underneath the car instead of over top of the motor which seems to be alot easier at least on my car since it has been wreck and the frame is kind of messed up and another question is will our computers allow a BOV?
ej22t hybrid, 3.5" downpipe, Gl turbo intake/desnorkel 9psi DEAD
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

The MAF is designed to keep track of all the air that has come in through the intake. A BOV, that vents to atmosphere, would disallow your engine computer to account for all of the air. This is not an ideal situation.

but some people say they use them with no ill effects.........

I have never even seen a FMIC on our cars in person. no idea on that one, srry
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Seems like routing the pipe under might work well, like going from the TB down near the brake booster and steering linkage. BUT being near the exhaust down might unnecessarily heat the piping.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
keirnna
First Gear

Post by keirnna »

Your car comes stock with a 100% recirculating BOV. This is ideal for our cars, but 50/50 and 100% atmospheric BOV AKA Show Off Valves also work just fine. They make your car run a bit rich as the engine was expecting more air than it actual got and sent more fuel than the engine needed. This can be helpful if you have knock when you are shifting you can't seem to get rid off. There are some Impreza FMIC kits that rout the charge pipes under the engine, notably APS's GC8 kit. I don't think that routing is very ideal and I would rather have it come through the fender on the right side and by the radiator and battery on the left. You could put your MAF in the charge pipe right before the throttle body as well to have a blow through MAF set up.
Subarus are probably the most reliable cars made – they make Hondas look like South American dictatorships." - Jeremy Clarkson
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

heating did seem a risk but i was wondering if i could use some heat resistant spray or just heat wrap to keep the heat away and i would love to run the piping through my fender but my frame like a said is bent all to hell and i just think it would be better to run it under the engine in my situation but the BOV does work Right?
keirnna
First Gear

Post by keirnna »

Suabrus already require the longest most asinine routing for FMICs ever. If your frame is so bent you cannot route the FMIC the standard way you need to consider a new frame. If that is not an option I would just bust out a recipricating saw and a hammer WRC service station style and make a path. I would not route the FMIC right by the headers and make even less ground clearance for the car.
Subarus are probably the most reliable cars made – they make Hondas look like South American dictatorships." - Jeremy Clarkson
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

You could put your MAF in the charge pipe right before the throttle body as well to have a blow through MAF set up.
what do you mean run the MAF on front of the throttle body so it only reconizes the final pressure going into the motor instead of the beginning pressure? (dont know how to word that properly)(get what im saying?)
and what is a blow throught MAF set up?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

the_watts10 wrote:
You could put your MAF in the charge pipe right before the throttle body as well to have a blow through MAF set up.
what do you mean run the MAF on front of the throttle body so it only reconizes the final pressure going into the motor instead of the beginning pressure? (dont know how to word that properly)(get what im saying?)
and what is a blow throught MAF set up?
That is a blow through setup. The pressurized air is blown through the MAF instead of being sucked through.

I would worry about the durability of our MAFs in such an application.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If you you have access to or know someone who has a TIG welder, welding an elbow on the compressor housing makes things soooo much simpler
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

+1 welding a 90* to the comp. opens up alot of turbo options & it takes about 5 minutes.

I hole-sawed a 3" hole behind each headlight where the FMIC tubing could exit the engine-bay & go towards the I/C core - no big deal.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD