I has an AWIC pump :D

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scuzzy
Third Gear

I has an AWIC pump :D

Post by scuzzy »

I was browsing through Harbor Freight today; and amongst many other things I ran across this:

Central Machinery 12 volt Utility Pump Model 94639
3/4" male OD fittings
100 Watt draw, 4500 RPM
260GPH @ 50PSI (4.3GPM)

No picture, can't seem to find any other details online. picked it up at harbor freight on sale for $30 then added the two year warranty on it for another $10 - I know how crappy central machinery tools are. I have several of them in my garage; they're decent but meh.

it's not continuous duty rated, BUT I don't intend to use it for long durations - an hour duration each at most; and when the car become full time autocross it'll only run 15 minutes at a time.

I hooked some 3/4" hoses up to it, hooked the hoses into the AWIC and gave it a little trial run, hookup was
bucket->pump->awic->bucket
filled a 5 gallon bucket in 47 seconds... 9.4GPM?

Stuck my thumb on the end of the output hose from the AWIC and was able to spray water a distance of 30 feet out across the driveway with no trouble at all; pump worked a little louder but seemed to handle the pressure just fine. I wasn't able to stop the flow with my hand.

self primes too, which was a great plus.

Now I just need a water tank (5 gal or so) and some hoses and clamps and whatnot; I want to put a 5 gallon tank in the rear, in the spare tire area; and set the pump up back there, etc.

any thoughts?
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I think its too big, too heavy and too much flow.

I bet the seals will leak. I can't find the specs at the moment but the perfect pump I found had a completely sealed pump housing and the impeller was driven magnetically! It's basically leak proof.

If I had to guess the original system had less than a gallon of fluid in it.

More lines means more places it might leak and more weight. My idea (which i still plan to do) is to relocate my real battery then get a demo battery and use it as a water tank in the normal spot behind the headlight. It holds quite a bit of water, creates very short runs of piping and can potentially look stock :)
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

ciper wrote:I think its too big, too heavy and too much flow.

I bet the seals will leak. I can't find the specs at the moment but the perfect pump I found had a completely sealed pump housing and the impeller was driven magnetically! It's basically leak proof.

If I had to guess the original system had less than a gallon of fluid in it.

More lines means more places it might leak and more weight. My idea (which i still plan to do) is to relocate my real battery then get a demo battery and use it as a water tank in the normal spot behind the headlight. It holds quite a bit of water, creates very short runs of piping and can potentially look stock :)
for the money I think it was a good buy.

I'd be interested in the pump you're using as well. give us details please :)

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

This isn't the exact unit I planned to use but do a google search for 59510-0012 and you'll see what I mean. Its supposedly an aftermarket direct replacement for the Typhoon AWIC pump, Mercedes Benz heater pump and Porsche 944T water pump meaning its even meant to handle hot engine coolant!

Dimensions:- 97mm long, 100mm wide, 70mm high
Max. Current: 1.2 amp
Weight: Less than 1 pound!
2.7 gallons/min
Circulates water up to 100ºC
Magnetic drive - no shaft seal to leak
Non corroding and non reactive housing
Continuously rated
20,000 hours life

http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/c ... /index.htm

There are fish tank pumps that would also work great for the situation if they only ran on DC. They too have magnetic drives and are rated for continuous use and long lives while being very quiet.

Edit: hmmm ebay item 200232051217 looks surprisingly similar to the pump I listed above.... ebay item 380010244688 also seems to be similar.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

ciper wrote:This isn't the exact unit I planned to use but do a google search for 59510-0012 and you'll see what I mean. Its supposedly an aftermarket direct replacement for the Typhoon AWIC pump, Mercedes Benz heater pump and Porsche 944T water pump meaning its even meant to handle hot engine coolant!

Dimensions:- 97mm long, 100mm wide, 70mm high
Max. Current: 1.2 amp
Weight: Less than 1 pound!
2.7 gallons/min
Circulates water up to 100ºC
Magnetic drive - no shaft seal to leak
Non corroding and non reactive housing
Continuously rated
20,000 hours life

http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/c ... /index.htm

There are fish tank pumps that would also work great for the situation if they only ran on DC. They too have magnetic drives and are rated for continuous use and long lives while being very quiet.

Edit: hmmm ebay item 200232051217 looks surprisingly similar to the pump I listed above.... ebay item 380010244688 also seems to be similar.
I don't mean to discredit you, but that pump flows 2.7gal/min at 1.68PSI; which is lower than the combined restriction of an AWIC, a radiator and all the connectors and hoses.

it will flow like crap once you get it pieced together. I think Legacy777 has already proven something like this.

one pound? psh, big deal. if I cared about the difference between 1 pound and 3 pounds I wouldn't autocross with a full tank (read: 120 lbs) of gas.

edit: to add a little information to my post...
Specs on the stock AWIC pump:
50/20Watt motor (Hi/Low)
2.0mAq (6.6ftAq) head
4.0gal/min

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I'm skeptical of the 4gpm rating of the stock pump unless that is with no restriction.

The pump you got from Harbor Fright also probably doesn't give 9.4gpm either.

All I know is that there lots of Syclone, Typhoon, RX-7 and other AWIC vehicles using this exact pump with excellent results. It's track proven if you will.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

ciper wrote:I'm skeptical of the 4gpm rating of the stock pump unless that is with no restriction.

The pump you got from Harbor Fright also probably doesn't give 9.4gpm either.

All I know is that there lots of Syclone, Typhoon, RX-7 and other AWIC vehicles using this exact pump with excellent results. It's track proven if you will.
My measurements:
Time to fill 5 gallon bucket:
Pump only: 40 seconds: 7.5gal/min
+ AWIC hookup: 47 seconds: 6.3gal/min
+ AWIC & kinking outlet hose to restrict flow: 55 seconds: 5.4gal/min

Take em for what you will. 5.4gpm is still above the rated 4.3 @ 50 PSI rating; which is above the 4GPM rating of the stock pump.

I understand your pump is track proven. my pump is $29 with a two year warranty that's rated to flow better than 2 gallons at 1.6 psi; If I'm wrong, I'm out $30 and change.

I don't want anyone to think I'm discouraging anyone's suggestions or ideas, I'm open to all of them; but your choice doesn't seem to be in the right direction for me at least.

Assuming all others are equal and both your choice and the stock pump are overrated and actually flow less with the restriction. you're looking at less than a gallon a minute in comparison to two or three gallons a minute from the stock pump;

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....you won't get much flow if any once you start putting restriction inline of the pump.

Actually....looking at those Low Pressure Cyclone Centrifugal Pumps, they look pretty nice, even compared to the one I have. Their impeller design is MUCH better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

They do make a more "heavy duty" unit with magnetic drive. Look at the Jabsco link I posted above and click 59520-0000 (the brass one). Its rated at 6.2gpm and can withstand upto 140psi
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The pressure isn't really the concern. It's the flow at a given head pressure.

5.5 gpm @ 1.45 psi is not much head pressure.

Compare that against the low pressure cyclone centrifugal pump at roughly the same head pressure

23 gpm @ 1.5 psi

If you have around 5 psi of head pressure, that still puts you around 11 gpm.

You got to look at the head pressure as well as the flow rate.

The performance curves are in the technical data sheets.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I don't understand the p1-p5 lines on the performance graphs.
Here are pictures of the performance for everyone to see

59510-0012

59520-0000 Brass

59530-0000
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The P1 - P5 lines are just showing the pump curve at different head pressure. I believe they did this because the curves aren't linear or match up ideally to themselves.

Also, it may be because they modeled these pump designs better then they did the other pump, and had more data for it.

It's just like turbochargers for some of the industrial engines we run in the natural gas industry. The turbos are performance tested at the design point, but do not include an air map, similar to a pump curve. If we want that info, we have to have the turbo tested.

So like I said, maybe they just have that extra info.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Not exactly related but while researching the original pump I stumbled across this site
http://www.ricola.co.uk/charge.htm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

cool
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've thought about how much easier it is to run some -12 lines as opposed to 2.5" piping when it comes to intercooling. With a nice intercooler and radiator for it it could be a pretty baddass setup. A radiator for the AWIC would be a much more reasonable way to keep the stock bumper beam, which I'm all about.

I wouldn't mind doing something like this, since water has a decently higher thermal conductivity than air.

→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that was my reasoning too.....plus the majority of my driving would be around town, and TMIC's are horrible for heat soak.

They are more complicated, but I think they have some very good benefits.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I would go with the shurflo pump. They are light, provide plenty of flow at low current draw, they are rubber mounted, self-priming, the list goes on.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What model pump did you use?

"plenty" of flow is I guess a debatable issue. I'm sure now with the newer radiator, I have quite a bit of flow going through the system. A 5 gpm rated pump does not mean it will flow 5 gpm if you have a lot of restriction/fittings/etc. So...just something to be aware of when picking out your pump.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I didn't measure my shurflo flo but I can see it flowing like a garden hose and it's rated for 45psi. My system can't be over 10psi so the pump isn't even taxed.

"plenty of flow" is relative. It's plenty for my 2.2L but I'm opting for a much larger pump for my turbocharged 350 land speed car. Most likely a factory engine water pump from a pickup or small car mounted as an accesory on a belt. I'll take a walk around the JY and see what would fit the bill.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you remember/know the model # on the pump?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT