intercooler without turbo

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

intercooler without turbo

Post by SILINC3R »

was wondering if you could use an intercooler without a turbo. would you be able to get any horsepower gains from the air getting cooler from the intercooler.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It wouldn't get any cooler. The air entering the air filter is already ambient temp with nothing to heat in on the way to the engine.

You could however heat wrap your entire intake and bypass the coolant lines on the throttle body for a slight decrease in intake temps.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, all an intercooler does on an N/A motor is add restriction to the intake tract and hurt performance.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

thats is what i thought but it was worth a shot i guess
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Never hurts to ask. Thats how I learned. Most of the time you can do that here without fear of severe rebuke.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

yup true that no-ones a dumbass here unlike some other forums ive been to like every nissan forum that i have seen have been all douchebags so yeah retarded questions are welcome here
ej22t hybrid, 3.5" downpipe, Gl turbo intake/desnorkel 9psi DEAD
subbieedude!
First Gear

Post by subbieedude! »

interfooler!!!
/// life begins at 20 pounds of boost
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Never hurts to ask. Thats how I learned. Most of the time you can do that here without fear of severe rebuke.
Not if i read it first, i am a rebuke ninja :-D
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
desmo750
In Neutral

Post by desmo750 »

New92 wrote:Never hurts to ask. Thats how I learned. Most of the time you can do that here without fear of severe rebuke.
Which is awesome, unlike NASIOC :lol:
1992 Legacy ss: Deadbolt tdo516g, CES turbo-back, wrx top mount, wrx 5-speed, drive shaft, rear-end, axles,
ect,ect....188,000 miles......still torques!
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

No because your intake air is already going to be near ambient but yes the same principal still applies. Every 10 degrees cooler is around 1 HP in general so if you had a CAI, heat wrapped your intake, used phenolic spacers or found some other way to cool your intake charge there is horsepower to be spared.
-Doug Wilson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Asking questions is how you learn the how or why of a system so that you can successfully improve upon it in the future (or come up with a new one). Those other sites full of critics just shows how ignorant they are, not the poster asking the question (well, most of the time). Thinking outside the box should be encouraged, but draws criticism from all the idea-deficient people (the majority) who feel threatened or afraid of those who can think for themselves. Those people aren't the innovators, they tend to be destroyers as they lack the ability to create or they're the ones that support oppressive regimes by refusing to let go of false ideas instilled within them. That inability to let go or change a mind is the cause of justification of millions of horrific acts throughout history. The true monsters are few, but with so many willingly manipulated followers, they don't need to be numerous.

Blessed are those who think for themselves and create.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

the_watts10 wrote:yup true that no-ones a dumbass here unlike some other forums ive been to like every nissan forum that i have seen have been all douchebags so yeah retarded questions are welcome here
Punctuation!
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy