installing 06/07 wrx intercooler

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

joshm
First Gear

installing 06/07 wrx intercooler

Post by joshm »

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/ ... 1/TMIC.jpg

That be my intercooler. So it looks like im going to have to run a y pipe off those two holes pictured, to the turbo output. Then i connect the large output to the throttle body. The other hole on the other side is something to do with a BOV, can someone explain that more ? So heres the questions.

As far as i know i only have to relocate coolant tank, and cut down the clutch res. I just physically cut down the clutch fluid res ? And coolant tank relocate, is there a certain height it has to stay at or anything special, or can it just go anywhere ?

For piping kit, which one should i buy ?

I found this site :http://store.racing-solutions.org/

They have make it yourself kits, which one should i get ? Well, the better question is that diameter piping is required, and what bends do i need. Also, where can i buy the Y pipe ? thanks for the help !
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

I'm still fighting with my install...

As for the two holes... Your gonna want to find the actual elbows that come off of them...

It appears that on my car I can have the IC rest on the clutch resevoir.... which it would be better to have the offset on however it appears like it will work...

I'm also using a vf10 turbo, which changes things a little bit...

I would suggest reading SubaruNations posts regarding the install.... he has a lot of good do's and don'ts for the installation.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
flatoutfred
First Gear

Post by flatoutfred »

I've cut my clutch res a inch and a half and there is no problem at all. For the y pipe I've modified the stock one but it could be better, I'll buy one like this ebay link
and buy a 45 degree silicone hose or a prestone hose that fits. For the bybass valve I've bought a adapter flange like this on ebayImage

Good luck
Legacy turbo, desnorkled, intercooled, TD04, Borla catback, urethane mounts, wrx rear brakes.
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

I have a BOV to run, where does it go ? Is the BOV before the intercooler, or after intercooler in the line from turbo ?
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Its the little awkward shaped outlet thingy that goes on the drivers side front of the intercooler.... triangular bracket is the best description.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

Alright, so in the circuit of things is it getting rid of excess pressure of hot air or "cold" air... in other words does it blow off air before or after the intercooler
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

The little triangle thingy is called a recirculator valve. Its job is to vent excess pressure out of the intercooler when you let off the gas. The intent of the recirc valve is to recirculate that excess pressure back into the intake. If you look on an OE WRX intercooler setup you'll see that the recirc valve vents the excess pressure back into the intake before the turbo but after the IACV line.
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

Forgot to mention...

If you vent to atmosphere instead of recirculating; your car will run pig rich until you tune for a BOV venting to atmosphere. The car will have most of its problems at 2/3 throttle under moderate acceleration.
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

you're going to want a BPV not a BOV otherwise your car will be in not good shape after awhile.

flat out fred: ya that recirc plate works, it's what im using.

feel free to read my build thread and check out my gallery for ALOT of pictures on how to do this
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.