question

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lucas
Third Gear

question

Post by lucas »

for those guys who intercooled, with the 06, and went TD04 how did you get the turbo and the y pipe to match up?? this is the only thing im hung up on.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Get creative with some silicone hose. And then you'll need some metal pipes that have the outside diameter of the inside diameter of the silicone hoses. Then use some clamps to connect them all.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Dusty B
In Neutral

Post by Dusty B »

This is really throwing me. I'm reading as much as I can do get ready to do my install (same as above) Some people claim that the 06/07 tmic and td04 just plop in (as long as ac lines moved, ignitor chip moved, clutch master trimmed), and others say that you need all kinds of silicone piping/metal piping. I'm really curious what the case is now???
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

If you check out this post from another member : http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36878
Unless I'm mistaken on the connection your trying to make, he shows the radiator hose he used and what he cut out to make this connection. As is later pointed out in the thread, radiator hose isn't a permanent solution but will work (about a year??) untill you can get something out of silicone. I'm probably going to try this out tonight on my TD04/06TMIC project...
04 Forester XTi VF39, TMIC, 3" exhaust, COBB accessport
92 Legacy L wagon 5 spd, 266K miles
83 wagon SOLD
04 STi COBB stage 2 & wingless SOLD
92 Legacy SS 5MT-TD04,TMIC, 3"exhaust SOLD
00 Legacy GT wagon 5spd SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon
wtdash
Fifth Gear

TD04 and '06 TMIC

Post by wtdash »

Dr. Gonzo wrote:If you check out this post from another member : http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36878
Unless I'm mistaken on the connection your trying to make, he shows the radiator hose he used and what he cut out to make this connection. As is later pointed out in the thread, radiator hose isn't a permanent solution but will work (about a year??) untill you can get something out of silicone. I'm probably going to try this out tonight on my TD04/06TMIC project...
Dr. G...You got anything yet?

Started the TD04/'06 TMIC mock-up install today on my SS b4 doing the swap into my wagon.

This is going to be a challenge!....looks like I need a contorted pipe for both the turbo>>IC and the air intake>>turbo air inlet.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

TD04 and '06 TMIC

Post by wtdash »

Dusty B wrote:This is really throwing me. I'm reading as much as I can do get ready to do my install (same as above) Some people claim that the 06/07 tmic and td04 just plop in (as long as ac lines moved, ignitor chip moved, clutch master trimmed), and others say that you need all kinds of silicone piping/metal piping. I'm really curious what the case is now???
Can't see how this could be a 'plop in'.

I've moved everything listed above, and I've got the TMIC in place, along w/the TD04, but nothing lines up!

I'll be doing some fabbing for sure. :roll:
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Re: TD04 and '06 TMIC

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Dr. G...You got anything yet?
Not yet, I ran into some other issues that I'm trying to deal with... I'm going lerking, hopefully tommorrow, for a suitable radiator hose for this connection. I'll post when I've got something figured out... That link I posted above was actually for a guy that was using the vF11 so it will be a different hose than with the TD04 (unless you clock it) :( my bad.
83 wagon SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

you are using the stock y-pipe right?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

know1 wrote:you are using the stock y-pipe right?
Not sure about wtdash, but yes, I'm using the stock 06 y pipe.
83 wagon SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Dr. Gonzo wrote:
know1 wrote:you are using the stock y-pipe right?
Not sure about wtdash, but yes, I'm using the stock 06 y pipe.
Yep...Me too.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

that would be the issue then. As far as I have read people have gone aftermarket y-pipes like the one I made a thread about because the 90elbow can be cut to length to line up with the td04
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
MannyMohawk#5
In Neutral

Post by MannyMohawk#5 »

Once you guys get the intercooler and td04 installed, do you just plumb the stock boost control solenoid to the td04? Will this keep the boost level the same until I can get a fuel cut defender and up the boost?
93 SS 5-speed

93 Touring Wagon ej20g
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Last night I got something together that 'should' work, but is subject to what spare parts you might have laying around and the strength of gorrilla glue... :roll:
I used the stock 06 y-pipe but cut off the bellows section that would connect to the turbo on a wrx. This left 3/4' to attache to before the pipe 'y's into the two intercooler inlets.
I bought a 2" 90 degree flexible plumbing elbow from Home Depot and cut off one of the ends with the hose clamp on it. This end will get attached to the turbo outlet.
On the other end of the flexible elbow I hose clamped and gorilla glued a piece I cut off of the snorkel from my 03 matrix (don't need it since I put a typhoon on the trix) The piece is a solid plastic 45 degree elbow that just happened to be a snug fit over the 06 y-pipe end and snuggly fit into the home depot hose clamp end. Both connections are clamped and gorilla glued. But I forgot my camera at work so I don't have any pics yet... And I won't get to pressurize the system/try it out till I get my 90 elbow in the mail for the intake of the turbo, I'll update when I've tried it out.
MannyMohawk#5 wrote:Once you guys get the intercooler and td04 installed, do you just plumb the stock boost control solenoid to the td04? Will this keep the boost level the same until I can get a fuel cut defender and up the boost?
I think the stock wastegate setting on the TD04 is 9 psi, bout the same as the VF11(8.75psi), but you'll probably see less boost due to pressure drop accross the newly installed intercooler. But, thats what I plan on doing when for a while after I've got everything installed, get all the bugs out and drive it for a bit (if I make it that far...) before upping the boost and seeing my connections pop off :lol:
83 wagon SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

We used a 90* Vibrant elbow. You'll cut off a fair section, keep this.

I then used a piece of PVC piping and used it as a sleeve to connect the 90* elbow and the straight part I cut off to the y-pipe. This will extend the y-pipe far enough to make it work.

As always YMMV, but with a little work, it will work:
bad angle but you can kinda see it there... here is another angle:
If this post is in anyway offensive please go tell your dog... he'll listen.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Thanks for the update Dr. G....sounds like you're working thru it....I'm stopping @ the parts store today to see what I can find.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

The Legacy's idea looks to be a better resolution, but I already spend $43 on one 90 degree silicone elbow and I just couldn't bring myself to spend $90 on two elbows, so I'm trying the cheap way out first...
83 wagon SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon