Cooling an IC under hood - no scoop?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Cooling an IC under hood - no scoop?

Post by wtdash »

I'm doing an EJ22T swap w/a TD04 and '06 TMIC into my 1990 Legacy wagon.

Since finding a '91 turbo hood may be near impossible and I dread the thought of cutting my hood, is there any info out there on running some kind of under hood cooling to the TMIC?

I've considered taking it to a body shop to install a hood scoop, but that's going to put me way over budget.

I'm definitely looking for a DIY option.

I'm still considering an Ebait FMIC, but that doesn't look like it'll fit w/out even more modifications.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Ever thought of Air-water intercooler?
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I bought a brand new hood when I replaced the n/a hood. I had bought a used turbo hood, but it was pretty beat up.

You may want to check out prices on a new hood, and then get a hood scoop for the turbo hood.

But to be quite honest....the hood scoop on the stock setup is pretty puny, and not the best at providing good cooling. So cutting the hood may be the cheapest, and best functional option.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

a hood scoop is super easy as long as you have that special little
trait called patience, i dont and i fucked it up, but fixed it with bondo. i went to the wrecker and bought a scoop off a non turbo 2.5 wagon with a bob marley sticker on the back, anyways, take off your scoop, trace the new one, cut it patiently and slowly with a dremel, not a jigsaw like i did and please only cut through the top layer of the hood, the bottom layer will be your support that you will drill holes into to bolt down your new scoop, you can either leave the gap or fill it w/ fibreglass, it really is easy. you might want to put a mesh across the scoop to prevent your ic from damage

Ryan
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Under hood cooling

Post by wtdash »

dscoobydoo wrote:]Ever thought of Air-water intercooler?
Thought of? Yes, but my pockets aren't as deep as an STI owner :D . But I'll take another look @ Ebait options.
Thanks for the reminder.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Legacy777 wrote:I bought a brand new hood when I replaced the n/a hood. I had bought a used turbo hood, but it was pretty beat up.

You may want to check out prices on a new hood, and then get a hood scoop for the turbo hood.

But to be quite honest....the hood scoop on the stock setup is pretty puny, and not the best at providing good cooling. So cutting the hood may be the cheapest, and best functional option.
I've been keeping an eye out for a WRX scoop....or similar. But I do admit I'm also thinking I'd like to keep the 'sleeper' look and keep the stock NA hood. ;-)
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

RJ93SS wrote:a hood scoop is super easy as long as you have that special little
trait called patience, i dont and i fucked it up, but fixed it with bondo. i went to the wrecker and bought a scoop off a non turbo 2.5 wagon with a bob marley sticker on the back, anyways, take off your scoop, trace the new one, cut it patiently and slowly with a dremel, not a jigsaw like i did and please only cut through the top layer of the hood, the bottom layer will be your support that you will drill holes into to bolt down your new scoop, you can either leave the gap or fill it w/ fibreglass, it really is easy. you might want to put a mesh across the scoop to prevent your ic from damage

Ryan

Thanks for the dremel idea...I wondered what I'd need to cut it...my tool collection is a bit 'thin', so if end up going w/a scoop, I'll grab one.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Get a Stick on WRX Style scoop from summit racing. Cut open the face of the scoop & hood to make it functional.

I believe Aerotech has one of these on his car.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Thats the way Id go. Much easier than trying to level and flush the stock WRX unit. You can use a good adhesive and then follow the basic body shop instructions for fiber bonding and smoothing it into the hood. I also went back with a silicone sealant (RTV) and filled it in on the inside join. This will help prevent air getting into the gap and pulling up the scoop.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
i_c_the_light
First Gear

Post by i_c_the_light »

AIR TO WATER INTERCOOLER!!
1990 Legacy GT wagon. 100% JDM, 100% factory.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Yep... $40 at Autozone, I believe... 'Course, I already had a hole in the hood, but I trimmed it out larger.
On the other hand, I have not seen another one in any store lately; you might have to go to the catalogue.

Last edited by Aerotech on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Here you go.

Ebay Link
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

There you go, 3-4x the height of a stock SS scoop, super easy to get on the car, & very clean looking without any bodywork!!!
I think the 3m 2 way tape on this scoop will hold up well if the hood is properly cleaned with rubbing alcohol when this is installed.
I know trying to get one of these off of a friends car required alot of prying & coursing.

You could rig a intercooler water spray system on the Cheap with

1. A WOT switch from a 80's VW Golf/Jetta
2. A Washer bottle & hose from a Subaru wagon (big later model version with dual washer pumps)
3. A windshield washer nozzle that has a wide mist pattern

Replace your washer bottler with the wagon washer bottle & plug in 1 pump - it will bolt in, check that your windshield washer still works.
Rig the WOT switch so that when you are @ WOT the switch activates
Wire the unused washer pump & WOT switch (2 wires on the WOT switch - switched +12V = input, output from WOT switch goes to the free washer pump (+)). Now just ground (-) the pump.
Route some of the washer hose you took with the water bottler to the I/C & position the nozzle/nozzles

Test the system by manually activating the WOT switch

Done - I/C spray system for $10-15!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Thanks for all the info.

I bought a WRX scoop off NASIOC and was going to get a dremel, but my swap is on hold for a couple extra weeks. I've actually seen 3 - '91 turbo hoods on CL in the last 2 weeks, so I may get lucky by the time I need the hood.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
JRJ117
In Neutral

Post by JRJ117 »

I have a non turbo bc but I dropped a turbo motor in... painful. but what i did was rear easy I adjusted the hood hinges by using washers so that the back of the hood was lifted up by about a 1 and1/2 inch. so when the air goes over the hood it creates an area of low pressure between the window and the hood pulling out the hot air. cost me like 3 dollars for four metric bolts and some washers. cheap fast functional. you may need a friend to help align the hood and all.