Side Mount IC

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Side Mount IC

Post by BXSS »

Has anyone put a side mount inter-cooler (fender area) on a SS?

One from an Eclipse should be easy to get to fit in the fender area (you can use the OEM mitsu plumbing hoses to hook things up too) & a motorcycle fan can be attached to it to help keep things cooler.

Others to look @ would be the ones from Newer Audis, 300ZX TTs, & Supra TT 2JZGTE side mounts...

These would be less prone to heatsoak than a TMIC.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i thought about that fan idea too, someone said that it would get too hot and kill the fan however. depending on placement
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Too hot for a motorcycle radiator fan??
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I do not think a side mount will ever get hotter than a TMIC.
The SS/TW have a just .5" scoop to feed the TMIC cool air through + the HOT turbo & engine & tranny all sit under the TMIC + when the fans turn on the hot radiator air will heat up the TMIC....

Slap the IC into the fender well, cut part of the fenderskirt out so air can flow through the I/C core (install a wire mesh so rocks are not thrown onto the core by the tire) & direct air to the front of the I/C with a couple of flexible brake cooler style hoses or get fancy & make one of the OEM scoop/splitter systems work on the SS - the most basic way to feed the core would be to simply remove the fog-light delete so there is a place for air to flow into.

Thinking about feeding a sidemount air some more the lower part of the fenderliner could be sliced & pulled down/secured creating a scoop.

A motorcycle fan should work fine with a sidemount.
I had one under my TMIC (when I had one on my OBS-t) relayed to the OEM fans; when they turned on so did my TMIC fan.
This sucked on the TMIC because the fan would just pull hot engine compartment air through the TMIC (even though the GF8 has a scoop 4x taller than a SS/TW) & actually heated the intake temps a few degrees whenever it would kick on.
It actually lasted a long time & I took it off when I got a scangauge & saw the effect on intake temps.

I say go FMIC + Meth for the best cooling results, but for the sneaky this should be a good option.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD