Working on a AWIC for Car#2. plumbing questions for lines

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Working on a AWIC for Car#2. plumbing questions for lines

Post by dscoobydoo »

Ok, I have the top tank, and will be making a front heat exchanger.

But I have a few issues on how the pump will be located and on what lines.

I was thinking: Heat rises, cold descends. So, you want to put the pump on the bottom of the heat exchanger lines and pump the water up to the tank. That way the cold water that has fallen to the bottom on the exchanger gets pumped to the tank, and the hot water from the tank flows to the exchanger so it can be cooled.

Or, put the pump on the top lines from the tank to the to line of the exchanger for the same reason.

Suggestions?
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There's two ways to do it. One from an efficiency side and one from a "system" purging ease side.

Just to confirm the routing, you should go from the pump to the front exchanger, then to the back inlet port on the AWIC core, out the front outlet then back to the pump.

Ok, from an efficiency side, heat rises, so if you use the bottom port on the front exchanger as your out, you "should" get the coldest water, since any hotter water should remain in the upper portion of the exchanger.

The problem with the above setup is that during initial fill, purging air out of the system can be difficult. If I had it to do over again, I would put a vent on the top side of the exchanger so I could vent the air. I ended up taking the hose off the pump discharge and filled from there to help get the air out. Even after doing that it took a little bit of running before all the air was out and I stopped having to add fluid to the system.

The stock setup has the outlet port on the top of the front exchanger.

Other thing depends on fitment. It worked out A LOT better for me to be able to run the discharge from the pump to the top port of the exchanger because I could run it through the bumper beam. Something to keep in mind.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm