what are the pipes I need? for TMIC to a VF-11

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Impreza2.2T
In Neutral

what are the pipes I need? for TMIC to a VF-11

Post by Impreza2.2T »

I have the 04 TMIC What do I need for the piping? I have the Y pipe, and thats it. I heard about using a radiator hose. then some guy told me it would probaly melt . :lol: No but seriously guys, I realize the potential for this beast, and I needs for great inputz.
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

i will be using rad hose with mine. it was the only thing that would fit without paying an extra xx amount of dollars for vibrant silicone.
Summer Fun = 1991 Civic Si Turbo
Winter Fun = 1991 Legacy Sport Sedan
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

here's the honest great input...

your rad hose will start to disinigrate and your 04 intercooler is a bitch to fit.

your old vf11 can be replaced with a td04 for about 50-80 bucks. look on nasioc to buy one.

a new style 06 intercooler can be had for 60-80 and will fit and look 10 times better.

honestly, scrap your plans and sell what you got, and go with what's suggested above or even better.

even for a newbie like myself the turbo swap is straight forward, and way easier to use vs. the vf11
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Not to be the devil's advocate (again), as the TD04/'06+ TMIC is the better setup vs. the earlier TMIC, but by no means is it 'plug and play'.

There will be hoses to move, to buy, to cut and to fabricate to get this in.

I'm in the middle of this and I'm very glad I've got another car to drive while I figure this out....I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I swapped in an EJ22T (Thanks LC BBS and JC) and it started right up, so I guess I don't ride the short bus!

There's a lot of info on this site so read up before you jump in.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

so whats hotter? hot coolant or air from the turbo?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I believe it's the hot air/oil/gas combo from the turbo that breaks it down...not just the air itself.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

well, i eliminated the pcv system, so no oil will be going through it, just air.
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

juice91si wrote:well, i eliminated the pcv system, so no oil will be going through it, just air.
And you did this because? That's a pretty stupid move on any engine, and doubly so on one with forced induction.

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Just to let you know juice91si. The pcv system is in place so the oil vapors can be burned off and relieve pressure in the motor. Most of the time if your piston rings and the rest of your seals ie. : rear main, cam shaft, and ect. seals are sealing great, your dip stick will pop out of the tube. If you are worried just put an air oil separator in place of it. Also if for some reason your clamps start to get loose on your turbo drain hose, the oil will blow out of it like it did mine
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

by eliminating the pcv, i did not mean i cappe dit all off and called it a day. im not that retarded. both valve covers, and both crankcase vents are routed to a catch can which is vented to the atmosphere.
flatoutfred
First Gear

Post by flatoutfred »

For your main question : search

This subject has been covered many many many times!
Legacy turbo, desnorkled, intercooled, TD04, Borla catback, urethane mounts, wrx rear brakes.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i.ve been thinking of something like that for my pvc, it keeps oil and hot air out your intake. does it seem to run a little better now?
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

my $.02:

Keep the PCV.

Use radiator hose because it's cheap and it will last a couple years at least, as long as your compressor isn't dumping oil into it. Then you will have the right dimensions for the tube and you can fabricate a metal tube and use silicon connections. The turbo will be blowing boosted air in the 180F range and in the same pressure range as a radiator hose operates in. The killer is oil from the turbo breaks down the rubber and the heat soak from the turbine housing after you shut your engine off. Turbo timer is a good idea.

I'm running radiator hose on my water intercooler and with the nitrous, it runs over 12psi.

The radiator hose is an easy inspection item. Squeeze it, does it feel like a giant gummy worm? Does it feel like hard plastic? No? Then keep using it.

I'll admit that I am using the rubber hose as a temporary fix because I will be changing everything and probably run a Garrett on a rotated mount. However!- I am happy with the way the rubber is performing. I am in no hurry to change it.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

RJ93SS wrote:i.ve been thinking of something like that for my pvc, it keeps oil and hot air out your intake. does it seem to run a little better now?
for sure, just seeing the shit that drips out makes me realize the amount of JUNK that goes into the motor.