02' WRX intercooler

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92legacyss
First Gear

02' WRX intercooler

Post by 92legacyss »

92 ss 5MT..TD04, 02' Wrx TMIC, XS power Atmos. BOV and Gripforce stage 2 w/ WRX OEM Flywheel, Equal length headder and catless uppipe. Open DP and soon tobe CBE, WRX struts and springs, MBC
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Looks great!

I am waiting for my intercooler right now, its in the mail. The auction stated it is off a 06 WRX, but after some image comparisons I have a feeling it is a pre-06. So I guess that means I will have the same one as you.

What fitment issues did you have? I hear the nead to smack the firewall a bit to make room.

The mask paint job looks awesome too!
92 Sport 5MT
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

The firewall only had to be tapped slightly, I have a freind who did not even have to do anything to the friewall. But i did have to shorten the clutch fluid reservoir about 1 in. real easy with an x-acto knife. you will want to go ahead and get silicon y-pipe i wish i did are you running stock turbo or somthing diff?um i took the plastic clips that are on the break lines that run across the firewall off for a little extra room . you will have to relocate the ignition modual that is just above the anti-pitching rod. i put mine on the side thats about it. It fits but it's tight. real strange getting it in you have to start at a very steep angle and it will just kind of slide down into place. OH and put the silicone coupler that goes between the throttle body and the inter cooler on first i had better luck with it on the intercooler rather then the throttle boby but try it either way. Good luck
92 ss 5MT..TD04, 02' Wrx TMIC, XS power Atmos. BOV and Gripforce stage 2 w/ WRX OEM Flywheel, Equal length headder and catless uppipe. Open DP and soon tobe CBE, WRX struts and springs, MBC
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

I forgot i had to cut out a small portion of the hood look close at the picture.
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

I actually just bought my Legacy. Bonus was the guy before put in a TD04, so that's what turbo I'm running.

Thanks for the tips :)
92 Sport 5MT
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

out of curiosity how does it run with the TD04
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

out of curiosity how does it run with the TD04
I have never driven it with the stock turbo, so I can't compare as far as that goes.

However the TD04 seems to spool up by 2800-3000 rpm. It feels smooth and strong. I get a slight "hissing" sound when I go into boost, anywhere from 1psi and up. I don't know if that is just how a turbo sounds, or if I have a small vacuum leak somewhere.

Again, everything else appears to be stock. Except the axle back I guetto hung with plummers 'all-round' because I bought the car with no muffler.

Idle is great.

I'm thinking about getting a turbo timer as a side note.

That's all I can really say about the TD04 for now, but I am super excited to throw the intercooler into the mix!

I think I will use your mask paint idea sometime, but paint black or white 'SUBARU'

Did you notice any bolt on power with the intercooler? Did you have to do any tuning?
92 Sport 5MT
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

No because i have a large boost leak and i am pretty sure i have a bad spark plug i am waiting for silicone intercooler piping.
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

I did however notice a great deal of change in the power with the boost leak aside
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Oh I see. Did you find where the leak is? That's kind of why I want to get an intercooler. Will give me an excuse to redo my intake setup, find any leaks. Who ever installed the turbo in my car has the inlet hose tight against my plenum, and the pipe from the turbo to the throttle body is sketchy. The airbox wasn't screwed in either.

I noticed you moved your coolant 'filler' tank. I'm thinking of that too cuz I removed my a/c system so I have the room.

Is your car a Canadian version? I need to get all the kinks worked out before I get the northern Ontario snow. For once I can't wait for winter so I can go sideways in the snow.

How many miles/km's do you have?
92 Sport 5MT
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

No it is USDM but there should not be a lot of difference under the hood i also did the Ac delete i like the room.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Hmm, thats crazy that your friend didn't have to touch the firewall! I thought you had to whack away at it so for safety I bought a 06. I had an 04 but after hearing that I sold it.

Goderd, the previous owner installed a TD04 without an intercooler? Dou you have a boost controller/guage, or are you still pushing stock boost?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Forget pre '06

Post by kleinkid »

For anyone in the future, don't bother with the '02. Just get an '06 and use it. You don't have to damage your firewall and it is much easier to get in and out. They show up for sale frequently.
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

Yeah i dont know how he got it to fit but it is perfect without having to tuch the firewall and there is enough room between the firewall and the intercooler to fit a piece of polyurithaine for cushion. i will try to post pics it is a very nice set up.
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Goderd, the previous owner installed a TD04 without an intercooler? Dou you have a boost controller/guage, or are you still pushing stock boost?
Yeah, he put in a TD04 with no intercooler. I got the car with a boost gauge, and it shows stock boost. I think I went up to around 8-9 psi. Those are stock numbers correct?

Today I have been working making a temp downpipe as I found that the first cat is really blocked! I'm guessing my boost will go up a bit when she can breath better!
92 Sport 5MT
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

hey 92legacyss
looks like i bought the same bov as you have in the photo .. ebay blue .. hahah how do you like it mine will be on my car soon... i havent got to test it out yet
jdm jeffrey
photos : http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/jeffreydm28/legacy/
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

It is ok . pretty riced out sounding but still nice. For me it is more of a temp. untill i can afford a nice recirc. But works good and car runs fine a little rich between shifts but that is to be expected. i hope you like it.
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

cool i love bov noise , and rich between shifts would be ok with me ... fire balls out the exhaust !
if i dont like it i will prob go with something elce , we will see !
jdm jeffrey
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

Well enjoy
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

That looks really clean, nice work!

BTW: I have an 02 TMIC w/ ~60k miles for $40 shipped if anyone decides to go this route. Has y-pipe and "elbows"
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

I highly recommend that everyone gets the silicone y-pipe Boost leak is a pain
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

speaking of boost leak ... did you turn up da boost on your car after putting the intercooler and bov on ?

i turned mine up and it bleeds off seconds after spooling up to about 12psi but holds at like 8 psi ... i suspect the ebay bov .

any input ?
jdm jeffrey
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

No i have not turned the boost up
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

WTF ???? you have the intercooler ! crank it up ! its sooooo much fun ! :twisted:
-FYI fuel cut is at 15psi ...
and ya i must have a problem some place cuz it builds up and bleeds off .. gurrrrrr :x
jdm jeffrey
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

Well i dont have a boost controller or a boost gauge or an air /fuel meter so thats why the boost is not up yet and i think i am going to get the revtronics chip. I also spend alot more of my time on dirt so lots of horsepower is the least of my concerns i really dont want more power i would rather have good flow to beter control my power for more control on the dirt.