top mount water to air IC vs. air to air IC

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

top mount water to air IC vs. air to air IC

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

I didn't know how to search for this so I'll just ask. what are the pros and cons to a waic and the aaic? I have the waic on the car right now, but would i benifit going to an aaic? or if i wanted to go to an aaic should i just wait to go front mount?
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I wouldn't bother replacing the AWIC with a TMIC.

If you want to go air-to-air, get a front mount.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Second that. But if you have a good AWIC, I would not change it.

Places where it gets hot and stays hot would benefit from a FMIC ( like Texas, Arizona, etc.)

But most of the really good High HP cars have run good AWIC set-ups.

I have one waiting to go into my second SS.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I guess it would be good to ask what your horsepower goals are. If you are just gonna stick with the vf11 or a td04 and not go for big power the smaller AWIC will do the trick just fine. But it may not be able to flow enough air if you plan on getting a big fatty turbo.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

I don't really know what my horse power goals are but between the range of 250-300 hp. I wouldn't go higher than a vf39 or td04 (depending on price). I don't want anything high maintenance but want something reliable and be able to hang with wrx and srt4 guys...maybe sti's!
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I'm just planning on using an 06/07 TMIC, then once I have a vf39/550's and supporting mods I will probably go to a FMIC set-up. I dont have any experience with the AWIC, but these guys know their shit :P
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

ya i was just thinking of going with 440 injectors and i think i need n/a fuel rails too
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

socalwb wrote:I don't really know what my horse power goals are but between the range of 250-300 hp. I wouldn't go higher than a vf39 or td04 (depending on price). I don't want anything high maintenance but want something reliable and be able to hang with wrx and srt4 guys...maybe sti's!
I have the 06-07 WRX intercooler and with stock heads, am putting down 220/240 ATW. ( with bigger injectors and a super 16G)

But it is heat soaked when I do more than a quick run.
I am going to a FMIC on that car, but I have the 565s and supporting mods- also changing out the heads.

On the project car, I am sticking with the JDM td05-16G, 440s and a AWIC.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

so maybe i'll stay with the waic, tap a temp gauge into it and see what happens. but if i do that then i need to know at what temp does heak soak come into play? ultimately i think i'll wait to go to aaic with a front mount setup. i'll tinker around with the waic as the upgrades come! but now i would like to know, how do i know the IC is heat soaked? and at what temp does this happen at?
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Why not start with ambient air temperature?

Air is that temp before it enters the intake tract.

Compare that to the water temp in the housing- that might give you a starting point.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

socalwb wrote:I don't really know what my horse power goals are but between the range of 250-300 hp. I wouldn't go higher than a vf39 or td04 (depending on price). I don't want anything high maintenance but want something reliable and be able to hang with wrx and srt4 guys...maybe sti's!
ima edit my horsepower goals to 200-250. i would prob. be happy with low 14's to high 13's in the quarter. pretty much where ever a td04 and 440cc injectors will get me!
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

socalwb wrote:ya i was just thinking of going with 440 injectors and i think i need n/a fuel rails too
FYI-440's (gray- side-feed) work in the stock turbo rails.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

ya but dont u need another piece, o-ring or something at the bottom of the injector? i think that what i read on another post here, correct me if im wrong!