TMIC or FMIC

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Potter
First Gear

TMIC or FMIC

Post by Potter »

Whats better a TMIC or a FMIC. I just bought a 92 tleg 5 speed turbo and im trying to get some small things done and I'm wondering whats the better IC. I already have a boost controller set up and I'm running about 10 psi and got a oil catch can and short shifter on the way. If you can throw some ideas my way i would really appriciate it.

Thanks Everyone
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Re: TMIC or FMIC

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

FMIC is better, TMIC is cheaper. on the stock turbo, either will be an improvement!
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Well I have a TMIC that I got with the car but its off a newer subaru and it won't fit without pounding in the firewall and I like the way a FMIC looks. What all do I need to put a front mount in
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

TMIC will typically have better response/quicker spool, but it's way more prone to heat soak, being on top of the engine and all. What's your top-mount off of?
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

I don't really know the guy I baught it from just it to me with the car. I think it might be a stock IC of a newer subaru but I don't know. We also looked at putting the top mount on and I'd have to move a lot of stuff around to make it work(ac lines and what looks to be some vacuum lines) so I'm just trying to figure what will keep everything cool
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

check my build thread to see whats involved with fmic, so you know what your getting into...
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Do you have a link to it?
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Were would be a good place to buy a front mount and would I be able to throw one in pretty easy
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

TMIC set-up is fairly easy and cheap. You do have to move things, and its kind of a pain to get the Y-pipe to fit right. But the FMIC you will have to do alot more fabrication, I would definately prefer a FMIC if money and time werent an issue right now, but the TMIC is doing fine for now :D
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

I am running a VF8, 440cc injectors and a WRX top mount with no issues, but I will be switching to a FMIC soon. There's no real need to move to FMIC other than efficiency or looks.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Thats why i am really starting to think that i should just do the tmic for now. I have one that the guy gave me with the car and i cant tell what year wrx it came off of and its in really good shape. Just a couple bent fins here and there and the guy also gave me the bov with it too. What all would i gave to do to make it work? The guy I got it from gave me the y silicon piping bov and the silicon tub to hook up to the throttle assembaly. So i think i have everything to do it but like i said theres the ac hose in the way and what looks to be a connector of some type. So if you guys know what to do help me out. I'd greatly appriciate it and if you need pictures just let me know. Thanks
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Oh and just today i disconnected recirculating line for the bov so it sounds good and i just got a adapter plate and put a cone on tye intake. I'm thinking about doing the coffee mug idea here soon and next month I'm hopefully getting a oil catch can and a short short shifter(i feel like im driving a semi so i need one). I've got alot of ideas and i just bought the tleg barley a month ago and joined this sight 3 weeks ago
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
keelhaul
First Gear

Post by keelhaul »

hello fellas.

i have a question for you. when youre discussing TMIC's, what kind of tmics are you using in the states, on your subies?
1992 wagon ej20g
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Generally the best TMIC is the 06-07 WRX intercooler. Earlier WRX intercoolers don't clear the firewall very well but a few people have gotten them to fit but I wouldn't waste the effort when you can buy an 06-07 TMIC for $60 on NASIOC in good condition. Some people have also used SAAB TMIC and other random intercoolers but 06-07 is the most common.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Potter I would not recommend running straight atmosphere on our cars. My car didnt like it at all, and the car has no idea what the hell is going on. Sounds cool, but id be more concerened about my car running right and well
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

I actually have noticed that it is running a little rocky at idle I need to put the tube back on. But I have been having a little trouble getting the top mount to work on it. I have the Y pipe on the intercooler but the stock turbo is in a weird spot and I can't figure how to get the inlet to match up with the Y pipe
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It won't match up with the Y pipe. Doesn't reach. You have to cut the Y pipe and insert a pipe in the middle of it to extend it.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Ok we were trying to do that but couldn't find the stuff we needed but I'm also kinda broke and on a budget and tried to make it work with a bunch of extra shit around my garage and it didn't work.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's a pain in the ass to do. I just did mine a month ago. Lot of hoses and clamps and fabricating I had to do. But I have a unique engine setup nothing like the EJ22T setup so I'm not sure if it would have been easier on the EJ22T or not.