Please HELP 06 TMIC with vd04 1991 turbo

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Please HELP 06 TMIC with vd04 1991 turbo

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

Ok, I'm desperate. I bought this car thinking it was the MAF - it wasn't - besides the shoddy plumbing already installed - which i plan to redo with all silicone - What is wrong with this air intake?

Is it plumbed correctly - I don't think so - I think the PCV valve connection is not correct

Any help is much appreciated and I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but nothing that is exactly the same. And I'm stuck doing this myself.

WHAT THE CAR IS DOING: blowing smoke blue/gray

-there is a ton of dripping oil coming out of the intake lines - THE TURBO IS GOOD - i think this might have something to do with the PCV being hooked up wrong - if that is the case.

Also I think the oil drain line off the bottom of the turbo is clogged.

ALSO: the car is sputtering like it is missing - I think this may be from a vacuum leak, but any other ideas

The FUEL/AIR ratio is about spot on judging from the plugs, and Im not trying to run anymore boost as of now

I just want it to run right.

Any help is welcome.

p.s. I know pretty much nothing about turbos, this is my first after a few first gen N/A's and a random 2.5 1999 outback

shouldn't the waste gate be plumbed into the stock boost controller? instead of like it is below?
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Please HELP 06 TMIC with vd04 1991 turbo

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I believe the hoses from the wastegate and turbo outlet nipple go to the factory BCS. There's three nipples on it.

How do you know the turbo is good? I'm not too sure about the BPV hoses. Mine goes right into my intake just before the turbo and does not go anywhere else. Looks like yours is T'd off and goes to your PCV hose.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

kimokalihi wrote:Yeah I believe the hoses from the wastegate and turbo outlet nipple go to the factory BCS. There's three nipples on it.

How do you know the turbo is good? I'm not too sure about the BPV hoses. Mine goes right into my intake just before the turbo and does not go anywhere else. Looks like yours is T'd off and goes to your PCV hose.

I had the turbo checked out by a mechanic, and he said it looked fine.

The BCS hookup Ok Thank you much : i found a diagram for its route

For the BPV hose - Look at the second pic i posted - you can see the hose runs from the inner cooler T's into the front boot and then goes under the resonator/chimney (big plastic box between the boots) and you can see it wrap back the resonator around and go to the intake to the left of where the PVC valve goes into the intake.

You say I should run the BPV hose straight into the motor?

My PVC connection can also be seen well in pic 2 - running from the left side (from the pic 2's perspective) of the front boot straight into the PVC valve. I DON'T THINK THIS IS RIGHT

What do you make of these things?
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok....if I am seeing this correctly....the PCV system is majorly fubared

It appears that the line coming off the bypass valve is teeing into the turbo intake elbow and then wrapping back around going into the large crankcase vent on the back of the motor. If so, this is very wrong! Do not drive the car.

The BPV needs to be connected directly to the intake elbow and ONLY the intake elbow, no teeing. All the other PCV lines, including the main vent on the back of the motor, the PCV valve, and the two lines coming from either head need to be dumped into the intake elbow. The stock setup keeps the two lines coming from the heads separate from the main vent on the back of the motor. You can tie that main vent and the PCV valve together and tie that into elbow.

You will have to see what fits in the space you have, but what is currently setup is not correct.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

With the turbo vacuum lines the way they are I believe you forfeit the factory BCS and run only wastegate pressure.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
snailslow
In Neutral

Post by snailslow »

as far as the spudder, it did that all bone stock.. i think its probably the ecu.. everything else has been tried
Last edited by snailslow on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 touring wagon
snailslow
In Neutral

Post by snailslow »

and u dont need the boost syl hooked up either.. either way it will boost 8lbs.. nothing wrong with how it is
93 touring wagon
LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

Ok fixed all the intake plumbing! I found a few stock diagrams and followed them that were posted on a past request I had. I'll post pics and links to that so its all in one spot for some one in the future. car isn't blowing smoke any longer. Everyone was right Thanks alot.
the bpv I un-T'ed and ran straight into the front boot the --- I ran the pcv valve it ran into a T which come from the motor (justs below the turbo outlet) From that T another hose ran into the font boot. That fixed it _ beside terrible vacuum leakage!_
the plumbing is terrible, I had to put hose clamps on the turbo inlet - it has all around terrible awkward connections and bad couplers + front boot is cracked. Sounds like some one letting air out of the bottom of a balloon now that is pulling air correctly - but leaking of course.
Im sure the seals would have blown with the pcv valve being hooked up the way it was had the entire system not had such terrible vacuum. :shock:

Any ways, I'll post pics, I'm ordering all new hose and fittings and such. Silicone.

PS does it hurt to have the BCS hooked up, or should i just run from outlet to waste gate?
Thanks Again
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

snailslow wrote:the vac lines are fine, all stock lines go into the intake elbow.. same with all those.. the turbo is fine, the oil leak i think is from the rear cam seal under the turbo, i looked at it.. as far as the spudder, it did that all bone stock.. i think its probably the ecu.. everything else has been tried
The oil leak was from a clogged drain hose below the turbo and from the TMIC, because the intake was pulling so much oil with being hooked up the way it was.
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I would definitely hook up the boost control solenoid.
snailslow
In Neutral

Post by snailslow »

i guess the vac set up was kinda all over the place lol mines alittle more simple.. i didn't look into it much, i just saw oil on the uppipe so i thought it was the rear cam seal like it was on mine.. i hope u figure it though
93 touring wagon