Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Post by James614 »

I didn't bother wiring a switch into my pump. There's simply disconnect on the ground wire for maintenance/jump starting, I couldn't think of any instance where I'd be running/driving the car and want the pump easily switched off.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Just drove around for 3 hours straight in 50 degree weather. Mixture of light to heavy throttle/boost. Pulled over and checked. Intercooler, lines, and heat exchanger are ice cold. That's without a heat shield on the turbo yet. In contrast the metal connector pipe before the intercooler was hot to the touch. Needless to say, you don't need a reservoir for this system to be not only effective, but extremely effective.

I am very impressed with the results so far.

More to come.
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

1987 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe (Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Try it out in 80 degree weather and see how it does.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:Try it out in 80 degree weather and see how it does.
I would expect it to perform better than an Air to Air at 80 degrees.

I mean I didn't exactly put it in there perfectly. There are a lot of things I still would like to do. Heat shields, brackets 02/03 wrx scoop etc... I think those three alone will help the exchange of heat and keeping it cool in the first place far better than what it is now. I am fully satisfied with it now though.
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'd just ceramic coat it and call it a day. Maybe brackets too.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Turbo_Carl wrote:There are a lot of things I still would like to do. Heat shields, brackets 02/03 wrx scoop etc...
I've always seen part of the benefit of an AWIC being that you don't need a WRX-size scoop, or any scoop at all really. Though I do like retaining the factory heat ducting setup, I feel like it's actually pretty effective. But if the stock chimney wouldn't fit I don't see a WRX scoop providing any real benefit.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

You should weld fins on the tank too for better cooling. thing it would help alot.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

70 degrees today. Still cold to touch. Flows ambient temp well! I'm going to make a heat shield for the bottom of the intercooler. Vid to come on that.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

AWIC's perform very well as long as you don't get them heat soaked. That typically has to do with how well everything has been sized, intercooler, exchanger, & pump (and possibly a resevoir). Typically, the larger the capacity, the less likely chance it will get heat soaked. Since water's heat capacity is much greater than air, once you do heat soak an AWIC system, it's going to take longer to cool it back down.

On very hot days down here in Houston, I still see hot IAT's, but there's only so much you can do when the ambient temperature is a 100 deg F. I can see a 10-20 deg F increase over ambient temps at very hot temps.....but it's still no way near as hot if there wasn't any intercooler.

In cold weather, the intercooler core is cold to the touch. It's really quite a shock to stick your hand on a cold intercooler in the middle of a hot engine bay.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Sorry for the delay on further information on this project. It's technically done, but I would like to fine tune some things. More to come.

devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

i am very interested in this setup.... how much would your kit cost?
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

devilzdriver wrote:i am very interested in this setup.... how much would your kit cost?
Take a look at the install video in this thread. I tell you everything you need from silicone intakes.

All the parts cost me around $500.

devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

Could this setup be ran on the VF11 or is your set up strictly for a TD04?
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

He is on a vf11, for now.... Lol
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Installed TD04. Works with the VF11 or TD04. Essentially works with any turbo as long as you get the correct coupler sizes (inlet/outlet) for the turbo.

devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

Turbo_Carl wrote:Installed TD04. Works with the VF11 or TD04. Essentially works with any turbo as long as you get the correct coupler sizes (inlet/outlet) for the turbo.
I saw both videos awesome work man! I am planning on going this route, my questions are. Does your BOV recalculate? Do you have to run a standalone or can you run stock boost on this and its more added security?
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Does a AWIC setup benefit from a hood scoop that much? I know our factory scoops are not for intercooling assistance but instead to vent for the turbo.. Tossing around future ideas.
Subaru-less
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I doubt it. If it is it wouldn't be a noticeable difference.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Something like the stock setup where the air ducts heat away from the turbo should help a little, but a turbo blanket will be far more effective than any scoop/heat shield solution. I need to get one.

BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

Since this is the most comprehensive thread I know of regarding Air to Water Intercoolers, especially for 1st generation Legacies, this is where I'll post my question about just that. I know that it has been discussed here how adding a heat exchanger to this system requires getting rid of the Air Conditioning condenser. I live in Florida, and that is simply not happening. So I am wondering if the factory heat exchanger that came on the RS type RA fits our cars without modifications. Has anybody tried this? Even if the heat exchanger is too small, I could make up for it by doing something with the reservoir to make the system work more efficiently.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

There's multiple heat exchanger solutions that don't involving removing your AC condesner, that's just the easiest way. I can't comment on the stock RS unit, but you can fit a generously sized heat exchanger behind the bumper beam if you cut a notch for it. Or you can go for low and wide units similar to what comes stock on supercharged Mustangs, that just fits under the bumper beam. If I did it over again I'd get a stock one from a Shelby GT500.

subaru_styles
Third Gear

Post by subaru_styles »

the usdm bumper beam is what takes up the space in the fron of the car. when i installed my jdm one, it was instantly apparent how much more room opened up for the "stock" heat exchanger
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Also, I'm looking at mounting one in the front of the wheel well (possibly with a small pusher fan), but I'm not entirely sure of the aerodynamics in, out and around the wheel/wheel well area.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Well, apparently enough air flows into the wheel well areas for the overzealous Subaru engineers that designed our EJ22T to look at it and say, "There's enough airflow through there to feed our 2.2L engine at full boost, let's have the airbox pull in from there!"

To further prove this point, 8 or so years ago when I upgraded my air filter and removed my snorkus assembly, I also widened the airbox -> fender hole and sealed it all into a 3" PVC elbow, so no more hot engine bay air leaks through into the intake at all.... been running like that ever since and my car doesn't feel starved for air.

Based on this, I'd say your heat exchanger is worth a shot in the wheel well area :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I don't think its an issue of enough air going through there, so much as the air being directed over it where you want it. Would the air actual flow smoothly through the radiator or does it build up pressure at speed and not really go anywhere? I'd say its work a shot at the least.

A benefit to that location is better isolation from engine bay heat than directly over the engine's radiator. And less to lose in a 5mph collision if its under/behind the bumper.