Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Re: Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Ubermeister wrote:I have read that the original Air-water-intercooler on 1st gen Legacy has an air flowrate of 230cfm.

My setup is: Forged conrods and pistons, E-manage ultimate, Td0516G big, 550CC injectors.

Running about 15Psi of boost, and i get a feeling that my intercooler is a bottleneck in my system. (getting increasing knock in high rpm/boost.

Since im testing E85 at the moment, im thinking about bypassing the intercooler, ie. plumb the turbo directly to the throttlebody, lower the boost and test if the car feels better to drive.

My plan is go get a nice chargecooler, add another electric waterpump in series with the stock one (one on each side of the system) + fit the largest possible radiator (since i dont have ac, i have more room..)

I live in Sweden, not very high temperatures, and its a daily driven car, so i think i will do without an watertank.

Hard to come by a nice fitting chargecooler (for resonable prices) in Europe, so i think i will buy from Votionspeed or Frozenboost.
I have a turbo car on E-85, and I would not recommend running it without an intercooler. While E-85 does defend against knock far better than "Premium" (91-93) Octane Gas. There is still some margin of error there. It's much more safe to wait until you can get a better flowing intercooler. Especially with your mods.

I am going to fix this turbo issue as soon as I can afford it. Should be in the next couple weeks, and then I will be able to complete this write up. :)
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

1987 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe (Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ubermeister wrote:I have read that the original Air-water-intercooler on 1st gen Legacy has an air flowrate of 230cfm.

My setup is: Forged conrods and pistons, E-manage ultimate, Td0516G big, 550CC injectors.

Running about 15Psi of boost, and i get a feeling that my intercooler is a bottleneck in my system. (getting increasing knock in high rpm/boost.

Since im testing E85 at the moment, im thinking about bypassing the intercooler, ie. plumb the turbo directly to the throttlebody, lower the boost and test if the car feels better to drive.

My plan is go get a nice chargecooler, add another electric waterpump in series with the stock one (one on each side of the system) + fit the largest possible radiator (since i dont have ac, i have more room..)

I live in Sweden, not very high temperatures, and its a daily driven car, so i think i will do without an watertank.

Hard to come by a nice fitting chargecooler (for resonable prices) in Europe, so i think i will buy from Votionspeed or Frozenboost.

Do you have a way to check IAT's after the intercooler? If they are ok, then your intercooler shouldn't be the problem. The main thing the stock AWIC will add compared to a larger TMIC or FMIC is restriction which will just increase the amount of boost required the turbo has to push to get the same amount of air into the engine.

If you're experiencing knock, I'd suggest pulling some timing out and see if that helps.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Ubermeister
In Neutral

Post by Ubermeister »

Turbo_Carl: Sorry if i "hijacked" your thread, i just wanted some options and input

Legacy777: Thanks for the input, i cannot adjust my timing right now. (My E-manage Ultimate has som slight issues, i think i have to remove some cables. It fucks up the Ecu, according to a nice writeup on a GC-Install)
I have not installed IAT, so at this point i cannot check temperatures.

I have ordered the intercooler discussed earlier in this thread, from siliconeintakes/frozenboost.

Ordered a cheap new radiator for a vauxhall/opel, type 13 intercooler and the bosch pump, and will add my existing pump on the return-side of the system i think.

I will get back to you on the install, it's still a few weeks before i can start doing this mod.
Legacy Turbo -92
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Ubermeister wrote:Turbo_Carl: Sorry if i "hijacked" your thread, i just wanted some options and input

Legacy777: Thanks for the input, i cannot adjust my timing right now. (My E-manage Ultimate has som slight issues, i think i have to remove some cables. It fucks up the Ecu, according to a nice writeup on a GC-Install)
I have not installed IAT, so at this point i cannot check temperatures.

I have ordered the intercooler discussed earlier in this thread, from siliconeintakes/frozenboost.

Ordered a cheap new radiator for a vauxhall/opel, type 13 intercooler and the bosch pump, and will add my existing pump on the return-side of the system i think.

I will get back to you on the install, it's still a few weeks before i can start doing this mod.
Don't worry man it's kinda an open discussion anyway. :)

Looking forward to see how the install turns out. You are ahead of me for sure. I still need to get my wastegate issue fixed.
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

usliberty
First Gear

Post by usliberty »

Sweet thread . My JDM phase 1 EJ20G came AWIC and I traded it for some cash+ a TMIC. Wish I had kept it now because I ended up going FMIC. I think its a great idea, especially if you make the reservoir with an opening big enough to throw a bunch of ice in if you want to.
Ubermeister
In Neutral

Post by Ubermeister »

Turbo_Carl: Fixed your turbo yet?

Just as i was ready to mount the beefier intercooler, i think i blew a headgasket..
Could be from knocking or cheap noname mls headgaskets..

Anyway, i can now recheck my lifters, i dont like that knocking sound from them.
Legacy Turbo -92
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Comin up on 3 months with no updates. You get this kit figured out yet or did you give up?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

I see Carl every once in a while and saw him last Friday, he is extremely close to finishing and progressing

Sent from your bathroom closet
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh cool that's good.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Sorry I have not thrown out an update in a while. I'm not one to keep stringing people along if I have not made any progress. I semi fixed my wastegate issue. It holds 10psi of boost, but make a horrible noise. I bought another VF11 and I believe that the wastegate door itself is warped on the one currently on my car.

I am buying this my next paycheck. http://www.maperformance.com/grimmspeed ... -tube.html and going with an external wastegate.

This will have no effect on the installation instructions because I am sticking with the VF11 until the video is done.

I am very close now, and I will try to keep you all updated.

I have to go TDY to California for a few weeks in september, and should have enough money saved up to finish the project when I return.

ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

stoked on this! eagerly awaiting the video!
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So you're using a vf11 with your awic setup? I'm going to have to make one of those intercoolers fit my td05. I wish I could test fit everything in person like you.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

pardon the newbiness but is the compressor housing/outlet that much bigger/different be tween the vf11 and the td05 that it would take a different setup? or is it that it has a higher flow rate or am i completely off base? haha only because im running the stock vf11 and plan to one day upgrade to both a td05 and an awic.
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The compressor outlet on the vf11 is clocked at about 45 degrees above the horizontal axis. The td05's compressor outlet is at the horizontal. This difference necesitates changing how the piping is hooked up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

Gotcha, thanks for the info Josh!
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Buying all the parts tomorrow! Let's do this!

If I can get the rest of my buddies together Saturday or Sunday I should be able to release a video this weekend.

Either way, the video will be done very shortly.

kimokalihi, the instructions should be the same with the Td05 you probably would just need a bigger turbo outlet silicone elbow to make it work.

ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

So excited, I want one for my car!
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm excited to see this.
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Almost done!

Need to run water lines, but the car runs great!

Here is a teaser video until I finish the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu35q7LN ... e=youtu.be

btw... the video is only going to be problems or questions you might run into, and not 2 hours of me unscrewing stuff lol.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very nice. I'm glad you're still with us. I was starting to think I would be pioneering this project myself. I just ordered a nifty little setup to monitor intake temps before and after the intercooler so I'm going to get that set up on my WRX TMIC first to see if it's even functioning and then I might mess around with ducting to help it out or just go straight to an AWIC setup and again I will set it up to monitor the efficiency of the AWIC.
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Here is a picture of what I have done so far.

A/C is going to be a problem.

You can surely keep A/C, but that is going to require a custom heat exchanger and or a/c condenser. Both of which I did not have time to get made or find. The Intercooler fits fine with all the A/C lines in tact, but that condenser is a bitch! My A/C didn't work, so I really wanted to remove it. The rest of my instructions will be perfect though.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What was the cost of everything? I could look....but it would be nice to just have that info here. I like the video and you should make more of the rest of the install. Did you have to cut anything to mount that heat exhanger in the bumper?
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

what if you take out the ac system and use the exchanger from that as the one for the awic? just thinking...
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmm. I have no idea if that would work well enough or not. It's pretty damn thin, I don't know the thickness of a typical heat exchanger. My AC condensor weighed almost nothing.