Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Re: Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:What was the cost of everything? I could look....but it would be nice to just have that info here. I like the video and you should make more of the rest of the install. Did you have to cut anything to mount that heat exhanger in the bumper?
Rest of the video is going to be posted soon. I have to merge some stuff together and edit it. I will explain everything there.

Parts list will be posted along with the vid. Everything together cost me $530 or so. (Military Discount too) Probably would cost everyone else about $550 or so.
ride_child wrote:what if you take out the ac system and use the exchanger from that as the one for the awic? just thinking...
inlet and outlet are too small. It won't work. You have to buy a proper heat exchanger.
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

1987 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe (Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It'll be more for me aince I'm buying a reservoir for mine. Extra $100 there.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Turbo_Carl wrote:inlet and outlet are too small. It won't work. You have to buy a proper heat exchanger.

Just to add to this....the AC condenser is the wrong type of exchanger for water and will have a rather large amount of back pressure...if it worked at all.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

Ahh gotcha haha just a thought! Thanks guys!
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
martimus919
First Gear

Post by martimus919 »

Nice work! Subscribed
07 Outback XT VF52
94 Legacy Sport, VF23, 550 RobTune, various other things
93 Legacy Touring Wagon EJ205 management and dash swap (in progress)
90 Loyale Turbo, EJ Turbo Swap, 2" lift
82 Brat, EJ22 swap, RX AWD trans w/ LSD rear, 5 lug 4 wheel disc.
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Well it's all installed. System was very easy to bleed with that extra filler cap.

Did a stress test at 15psi (don't go that high unless you have an upgraded fuel system) drove for 20 mins and the intercooler was ICE COLD when I pulled over to check it.

ICE COLD

I consider this install a great success! Everything works PERFECT!

Full video to be released tomorrow. I made a few mistakes on the install and had to backtrack, and ya'll are lucky because I will explain everything to look out for and expect.
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Awesome!
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Any way to test pre- and post-intercooler temps?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've already ordered my probes and multimeter setup specifically for that but I won't have an awic for quite some time.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Turbo_Carl wrote:Well it's all installed. System was very easy to bleed with that extra filler cap.

Did a stress test at 15psi (don't go that high unless you have an upgraded fuel system) drove for 20 mins and the intercooler was ICE COLD when I pulled over to check it.

ICE COLD

I consider this install a great success! Everything works PERFECT!

Full video to be released tomorrow. I made a few mistakes on the install and had to backtrack, and ya'll are lucky because I will explain everything to look out for and expect.

Alright, Lets get that info!!!
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'm curious to see the before/after temps, and how they compare to the performance we've seen from WRX TMIC's.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got my temp probes and multimeters today and installed them. Check it out here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 39#p390239

I don't have the AWIC yet but this gives a good idea what the WRX TMIC is like. Keep in mind I don't have a splitter or any type of intercooler ducting but I might get one soon.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've seen before that pre-intercooler temps can be close to 300*, but it's just so crazy to imagine that and then see turbocharged (and supercharged) cars stock with no intercoolers!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm guessing the cars that are stock with no intercooler must not be creating as much heat. I can't imagine blasting 250+f air into your engine.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've seen on here before from someone with a VF-11 and no intercooler, and the temps were right around 250 max if I recall correctly.

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Sorry for the delay on the vid. Mixture of editing software not cooperating and being stuck at work too much. I saved the full vid last night and will post to youtube today.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Patiently waiting for video.
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:Patiently waiting for video.
about an hour left on the upload

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Watched it probably 3 hours before you updated your thread haha. Thanks for the info.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Nice video and it looks great would like to do that but I want to keep my A/C as it's hot as shit here is Alabamer.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

See....the folks up in the PNW think it's no big deal to pull your AC ;)

Come live down south and you'll want to put extra AC in :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

All it requires to keep A/C is a smaller heat exchanger really. That's it. The compressor and a/c lines had no effect on the placement of the Intercooler or water lines. The only option from silicone is to run two heat exchangers in series. Which that bosch pump will have no problem with to be honest. I will swing by silicone intakes and make a vid in a couple days to show how to do it.

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Just want to point out that if you pull your A/C system, your A/C button works as a radiator fan switch, handy for when you want to cool the system while sitting (between Auto-X runs, for example). I almost bought and installed a dedicated switch for the fans before I realized this. If you drag race or auto-x you'll definitely want some fan control.

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

James614 wrote:Just want to point out that if you pull your A/C system, your A/C button works as a radiator fan switch, handy for when you want to cool the system while sitting (between Auto-X runs, for example). I almost bought and installed a dedicated switch for the fans before I realized this. If you drag race or auto-x you'll definitely want some fan control.
I was first considering using the A/C as the switch for my pump, but decided to go with a dedicated switch to be safe.