Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Re: Direct fit AWIC kits on the way.

Post by Turbo_Carl »

hallie wrote:I have 3 edm and jdm awic if you need any measurements let me know
I appreciate it, but it may not be required. I can literally walk in the shop and test fit anything I want. It's only a matter of time before I find something that works.

Going to the shop today and testing out the Type 13. :)

If that works, the only thing holding me up will be the brackets. EASY!
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

1987 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe (Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car)
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Great news!

The Type 13 Intercooler fits great! Even the strut tower support fits without any issues.

All I have to do now is Fabricate my brackets and this kit will be complete! I already know what mounting points I'm going to use. I have to get some injectors and a few odds and ends for the car before I move ahead putting the kit on and making an instructional video on how to install it.

They didn't have the blue 2.5in 135 degree bend, so I used red for test fitting. The Final kit can be whatever color you want.

ETA until this kit is ready No later than May 20th. Hold me to that!
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Wow impressive. I'm excited. That fits a standard turbo like a td05?

Have you chosen a radiator? Is it going to fit behind the bumper beam without cutting it?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:Wow impressive. I'm excited. That fits a standard turbo like a td05?

Have you chosen a radiator? Is it going to fit behind the bumper beam without cutting it?
Yes, it should fit a standard turbo fine. The only thing that would change is the size of the reducer, and the angle of the Intercooler Inlet Coupler to a 90 degree.

I have not chosen the radiator yet, and when I choose one I don't see a problem with fitting it. I will keep you updated as soon as I fit it in. I am going to include other items to keep the heat down. (Heat Blanket and ceramic coating on the bottom side of the intercooler. Top side won't be insulated to allow cool air to come in from the scoop. Heat wrapping the water inlet line with DEI Titanium Heat Wrap to keep the water cool on entry. Leaving it unwrapped on the outlet to let heat radiate out. A few other ideas rolling around up there too.)

Doaomo
First Gear

Post by Doaomo »

This looks great! Please provide a final parts/price list when it's all done and figured out.
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

That AWIC core is so cute looking :) - subscribed
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is it normal for the coolant passages to be so small?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:Is it normal for the coolant passages to be so small?
Simply put, Yes. :)

From Silicone Intakes Website
WARNING!
Some Water to Air Intercoolers that you can buy online do not contain true water to air cores. A true water to air core has water passages that are much smaller than the air passages. This is part of what allows the water to air intercooler to be so small and have such low pressure drop. Some water to air intercoolers that you buy online use an air to air core design where the air passages for ambient air and intake air are the same size, with an enormous loss of efficiency. Buy from us to make sure that you get a genuine water to air intercooler core!

Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Two questions. Again, this will work for a stock set up ej22t and with the vf11? Also, will the awic come with all the parts needed to install. Cant wait to get one. Great job!
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Where is the bypass valve going to fit into this system?
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

I wouldnt mind bolting this up to the vf11, but when I get my td04, will it work for that too?
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Thesubielover wrote:Two questions. Again, this will work for a stock set up ej22t and with the vf11? Also, will the awic come with all the parts needed to install. Cant wait to get one. Great job!
Yes, it will fit the VF11 and any other turbo. The only thing you will have to change is the coupler angle when you buy the kit.
kimokalihi wrote:Where is the bypass valve going to fit into this system?
It's going to fit in the same place it is now.
Silicone Port System
Short on space and need to add a vacuum line? Or, maybe you need an easily accessible place to add a probe or bung for a gauge you just installed. This new Silicone Port System is a great universal product that will allow you to add a port to your silicone couplers. Installs in minutes and will hold up to 50psi!
Works on silicone couplers sizes 2.0" to 3.0". Can also be installed in the legs of most silicone elbows in that size range.
I would have to look at the stock intake pipe, but you might be able to modify it to work also. I will get back to you on that later today when I get off work.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That port system is pretty cool.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Right now I'm using a WRX TMIC which has a built in place to mount a WRX intercooler but that location interferes with my IAC valve so I had to make an adapter plate with a 90 degree elbow to run the stock SS BPV further down the line.

I don't have any of the stock SS intake piping so it's completely different than yours.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Another thing I don't see on that intercooler is a filler cap. How do you bleed air from the system if the highest point doesn't have a bleeder or a cap to top it off?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Speaking of bleeders, I'd suggest making sure your radiator has a high point bleed as well. Depending on where your pump is located and where you fill the system, you could get an air bubble trapped.

That's the one thing I'd do differently with my AWIC setup is add a high point bleed on my radiator.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:Another thing I don't see on that intercooler is a filler cap. How do you bleed air from the system if the highest point doesn't have a bleeder or a cap to top it off?
Remote Radiator Inline Filler Cap - 1.5"

These remote radiator filler caps are perfect for custom radiator installations or just adding a better filler cap to your stock engine cooling system.

Simple in design, the 1.5" barbed fittings are removable in case you need to install your own fittings in the 1" NPT Female threads.

The overflow tank nozzle is also removable in case you do not need an overflow tank. For water to air intercooler applications, it is common to just leave it open since your system should not exceed the cap pressure.

As shown in the picture, the pressure rating on the cap is 0.9 bar (13 PSI).

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's an idea. But will air still get trapper in the intercooler?
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

kimokalihi wrote:That's an idea. But will air still get trapper in the intercooler?
It shouldn't. Plenty of people have run these intercoolers for years without any problems. Silicone Intakes and Frozen Boost are the same company and I know Frozen Boost has had great reviews on the quality of their products. Type "Frozen Boost Reviews" in google and see for yourself. :)

I am going to test this on my own car before I let anyone else. If anything happens I will let you know.
Legacy777 wrote:Speaking of bleeders, I'd suggest making sure your radiator has a high point bleed as well. Depending on where your pump is located and where you fill the system, you could get an air bubble trapped.

That's the one thing I'd do differently with my AWIC setup is add a high point bleed on my radiator.
I am going to put that filler on the high side of the system in a way that it should fill up evenly. If there is any overpressure it should bleed out and stabilize.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Will the system fill from one side (high side) only and then back through the pump or fill up from both low & high side?

The stock AWIC has a tendancy to fill up from both sides which can cause an airpocket at the pump if there's not a secondary bleed location.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Legacy777 wrote:Will the system fill from one side (high side) only and then back through the pump or fill up from both low & high side?

The stock AWIC has a tendancy to fill up from both sides which can cause an airpocket at the pump if there's not a secondary bleed location.
That's a very good question, and something I will have to look into. Right now I am thinking about using this size heat exchanger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-to-Water-In ... 0670158210

The heat exchangers Silicone Intakes offer won't be the best choice for our application. Another good thing about that one is it has a filler, bleed, and the inlet and outlet are on opposite sides. It should allow me to get all the air out of the system properly.

Another thing is I am not going to buy a fan for the heat exchanger. I think it will be more of an interference to airflow at cruising speeds than it will help at idle / slow speeds. I'm not sure what CFM the stock legacy Dual Fans flow, but it's not hard to do a fan upgrade. I know from experience Ford Taurus fans flow crazy CFMs. (4500 Max) Lincoln Mark VIII fans are somewhere around (7500-8000 Max)

The reason I say this is because I want to make sure the stock fans have enough grunt to get cool air through the engine radiator.

Other than that, I bought a few strips of metal today to get ready to fabricate some brackets :)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I will tell you from my experience that the chances of fitting that exchanger core in a 90-91 Legacy would be very difficult. There is not much room at all in the front bumper area. The 92-94's may have a little more room, but even then a 2.5" thick core may be a little tight. Where and how did you plan to secure this exchanger to the front bumper?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I measured it before and if I remember correctly it's 2.5" of room between the radiator and bumper beam so that might fit thickness wise. That's assuming you don't have an AC condensor because I don't.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you have AC, it won't fit. I know some of you yank out the AC, but there are still quite a bit of people that have it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Legacy777 wrote:If you have AC, it won't fit. I know some of you yank out the AC, but there are still quite a bit of people that have it.
I still have AC, so that's going to be a no go then. I have not done any measurements yet. Do you know how tall the AC Condenser is?