06/07 WRX Intercooler Install Questions

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BoostedSubie
Second Gear

06/07 WRX Intercooler Install Questions

Post by BoostedSubie »

I've been finishing up my EJ22t swapped Impreza and decided to use one of the WRX TMICs I had lying around to get it up and running faster while I save up for a quality FMIC as my current one leaks. I've read a lot of the TMIC install threads but haven't seen anyone try a silicone y pipe meant for a JDM GC8. I've seen two styles on ebay, one for 96-98 and the other 99-01. Since the jdm EJ20s had a intake manifold similar to the EJ22t as far as positioning. It looks like they would be a little easier to work with than buying the 02-05 wrx y pipe and cutting it up. Just don't know if the y will match up with the angle of the aluminum pipes on the 06/07 intercooler. Just wondered if anyone has tried using one. I'm running the TD05-16g by the way. Here is the ebay link for those y pipes. Notice how the 90 leg is longer than the 02-05 y pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-00-97-98-99- ... 71&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-Impreza-W ... 12&vxp=mtr
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
devilzdriver
First Gear

Re: 06/07 WRX Intercooler Install Questions

Post by devilzdriver »

I just ordered the Grimmspeed kit i am currently waiting on a TMIC :/ but that kit is adjustable...
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I have the same kit for the 02 TMIC and it works alright. I had to extend it a couple inches to reach the turbo and trim down the 90* bend a little. Its a pain to get it on though. It won't fit on the 06 TMIC also, one of the legs doesn't line up right. I was hoping to hear from someone today about the GC8 Impreza y pipe as I want to order a y pipe today so I get it by the weekend.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

So a buddy of mine came over last night with a JDM ver 3 STI intercooler so I could compare an 06-07 factory y pipe to the STI. The 06-07 has a wider distance from opening to opening so it wouldn't match up to the STI one. So, trying to use a silicone y pipe meant for the STI intercooler will not work.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I ended up buying a nice silicone y pipe off ebay for the 02-05 wrx. Its made by a company called Upgr8, I inspected it when I received it and it is really good quality. It is 4 ply and red in color. It was around 90 bucks shipped, they advertised it as 01-05 wrx. When I went to mate it up to my 06 wrx intercooler, it surprisingly fit right on. From the threads I've read of other peoples installs, they had to cut one of the legs going to the intercooler to get the right angle but this one fit just fine. I will still have to cut the leg going to the turbo with the 90 bend on it and extend it a couple inches like others have done. I'll post pics when done to show fitment.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I am also doing this as we speak, so someone found a brand that fits the 06-07 wrx intercooler fine, I bought one also that was labeled as 02-05 wrx and the straight silicone piece that connects the legs together fits not perfect and looks somewhat mashed into place with the tclamps on it. Others have done this same thing and says it works without leaks but it looks Gaff and like a hack-job. I am going to see how much boost it holds before buying yet another y-pipe setup.

I'd like to see how yours turns out because I don't like the way mine fits very much...I really just wish that my STi intercooler wasn't so damn big and would fit....Post some pics though damnit!! Mine is slighlty different, I am going to be hooking mine up to the VF11 until I rebuild my VF39.

This makes me want to get a V1/2 STi intercooler setup and call it a day! then all i'd need is just one 90* elbow for the compressor inlet.....i'll post pics of my hodge podge setup one's it is done.
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Here is how mine went on, fits great up to the turbo and throttle body. Since you're using the STI intercooler, that does make it more difficult.

93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

xise wrote:
This makes me want to get a V1/2 STi intercooler setup and call it a day! then all i'd need is just one 90* elbow for the compressor inlet.....i'll post pics of my hodge podge setup one's it is done.

I have run the Saab setup, the early ver 1-3 intercooler and the 06-07. The 06-07 by far fits the best and is the most functional based on our hood scoops.

I thought someone posted earlier a silicone pipe that was slightly longer and may fit better. But it all depends on how you run the BPV. I ran mine from the extension piece to the intake(closing off the original spot. ) Some run it from the original spot to the intake.

I figured I had to lengthen mine, so it would be a good spot to weld on the nipple for the BPV.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)