CX Racing FMIC kit for our cars, explained.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

robertpaige
Fourth Gear

CX Racing FMIC kit for our cars, explained.

Post by robertpaige »

Okay so I wanted to make a thread for doing an FMIC on our cars. I've had my FMIC hooked up for about 4 days now and I have had zero issues with it. I'm still not done with it, as I am modifying the bumper beam and bumper cover to fit. But I am here to explain the core and piping. This will be updated as I make progress with it.

I got the kit from TurnNBurn, it was new and un-installed. It is for a 93-01 GC Impreza. The piping and core seem to be good quality! Aside from what came with the kit, you will need an additional 2 clamps and anther coupler.

Removing the fenders and bumper were a pain in the ass but you need to remove both fenders to undo the bumpers stock clips, once the bumper is off you can reinstall the driver side fender but keep the passenger one off.

I took out the grill, headlights, and bumper support. The kit comes with all the couplers and t-clamps needed. First off, there is a bracket that holds the cam, crank, and knock sensor connectors being held by a single 10mm bolt. That needs to come out. I just took the connectors off and moved the to the side. Now you can put the hot-side piping in. It BARELY fits, and you'll have to get the coupler on the turbo with both clamps slid over it, then use a screw driver to pop the coupler on to the piping. It stretches, and fits fine once it's on.

[insert photo later]

Once that's on, now you can route the piping through the fender. I had to widen the hole quite a bit. I unbolted my ABS box and moved it towards the motor so I didn't risk cutting a line or something. I cut the metal and hammered it open, it looks ROUGH but like I said I'm still cleaning stuff up. This gives you the needed room to attach it to the core.

Where the piping curves and goes into the intercooler, you will need a big hammer to smash in the corner of whatever is there on the car. I just hammered it back, so the piping would clear. It looks fine, you can't really tell anything was beaten.

I put a floor jack under the core to support it while I got the other side done. Now here's the hard part.

This is the only pipe that needs to be cut. The piping will not reach and it will hit the oil fill neck. I cut it and put an extra coupler on. When I cut it, I flipped the pipe around that connects to the intercooler core piping. The throttle body pipe stayed the same direction. I found by flipping the core side pipe it fit much nicer and I could turn it a little. I put a bit of tape (zebra lol) to make sure I didn't arc against the battery. It happened once and scared the crap out of me. :)

The cold side pipe presses up into my lower radiator hose, but I have not noticed any issues or hot temps. I will fix it. (First thing I watched)

Here you can see what I did for my BPV. I'm using a no name TurboXS style valve. I ran it open for a bit, but the car is losing so much air with the FMIC piping vs the TMIC that I couldn't do it. You can get away with a top mount but the FMIC was too much for atmosphere. It sounded cool but it backfired loud enough for someone to think I was shooting a gun out my car. Lol so I got a recirculating setup going on that I thing works very nicely.

I will update this thread with more pics and also how to do the bumper beam and bumper. My FMIC is still not bracketed either. The car runs AWESOME! It's like a whole different world. I love the sounds the FMIC makes, but I've noticed that in 4/5th gear it does not like a slow releasing throttle. It's either on or off, or else it shakes pretty bad when it hits the bit of compressor surge. It goes SU-SU-SU-SUUUuuuu haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: CX Racing FMIC kit for our cars, explained.

Post by MConte05 »

That thing is HILARIOUSLY oversized for a TD04. In fact should probably never need an IC that big unless pushing 500+ HP.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Bro. It's a racecar. ;) and honestly there is not a lot of lag and it pulls great. Haha I'm not worried about it. I'd rather go bigger than smaller!

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Dude, you want loud ass backfires. Thats how you let people know whats up. You would probably make some purdy flames at night too.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Thanks for the DIY. I really don't want to cut-up my car but like the FMIC.
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Yeah, you'll have to do some cutting of the bumper beam for sure and beat a few things. I don't mind, but I know whatcha mean.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

robertpaige wrote:Bro. It's a racecar. ;) and honestly there is not a lot of lag and it pulls great. Haha I'm not worried about it. I'd rather go bigger than smaller!

This. Awesomeness, robert! I see this setup in the future of my 92 :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Arizona tea overflow :wink:
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Post by beaconhillkilla »

I've done the whole CX Racing FMIC install too, so I feel obligated to post here too for anyone else that wants to attempt this. My setup was sorta jerry rigged so I had to run the piping differently (someone stole the FMIC package off my front porch, got it back from the cops missing half the piping...long story)

Anyway, if your going to do this, I would suggest trying to flip the intercooler the other way around. You will have to buy different pipes, but it will save you a bit of trouble in running the pipes. robertpaige made it work and so did I..but just something to think about. I also wanted to keep (some) of my crash bar, so I had to do a fair amount of angle grinding/sawzall-ing.

I run a HKS SSQV on the top end now, so I've changed that around quite a bit, but as far as piping placement for the rest of the system it's remained the same as when I first installed it. On the left side of the engine bay I did the same thing as robertpaige, but I ended up cutting it out with an angle grinder (and cut way too much). If anyone ever wants more pictures, send me a message and i'll be happy to provide them. The ones below are from when the intercooler was first installed.

Also, where that giant hole thing is in the pipe that runs into the throttle body, I just cut that whole part off. I ran with it for a little bit, but after trying out 1000 BPV/BOV setups I've found what I have now to work pretty well with it gone.

Turbo flutter/compressor surge is a bit of an issue, but I've learned to live with it. If you can manage to run the stock BPV you wont have any, but you'll lose a bit of boost pressure. With my BOV, I only get it at low levels. Something to be forwarned about. After a ton of research I decided the consensus was it probably won't maybe might blow the turbo up, so I left it alone.

A FMIC is super overkill for a TD04. If I were to do this again I would have just run a TMIC and have been done with it........BUT RACECAR...enough said.

Last edited by beaconhillkilla on Fri May 30, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Post by beaconhillkilla »

If anyone is wondering how I fit my coolant reservoir back in..that became a mountain dew bottle :roll:
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Looks really good man! I am gonna buy another CX racing kit and I'll probably end up doing it the way you did.