06-07 WRX tmic worth the install trouble?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

susiemk
In Neutral

06-07 WRX tmic worth the install trouble?

Post by susiemk »

I have a ej20g powered sf Forester currently running a little vf11 / lss charge pipe intercooled with methanol injection which runs good at 13-14psi.

I have a couple 06-07 wrx tmics laying around one of which has a perrin silicon y pipe & I have a gc8 hood scoop laying around as well.

I believe all I'll need to get the vf11 connected to the Perrin silicone hose in the 06 tmic is a 90* silicone coupler 1.5- 1.75" inlet 2" outlet - does this sound right?

For folks running a 06-07 wrx tmic was the difference between intercooled & non intercooled boost worth the install trouble (including chopping up a hood to mount a scoop in my case)???

Any impressions and power / acceleration measurements will be appreciated.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: 06-07 WRX tmic worth the install trouble?

Post by TurnNburn »

Sounds about right. If you have all of the parts laying around then why not? Its a bit of a pain in the but, but there are a few good DIY's for TMIC installs floating around that shows how to do it pretty painlessly if you have the right tools. As well as the process for adding/cutting a wrx/RS hood scoop.

Plus it will leave room to grow if you ever decide to go bigger turbo/inectors/tune

TMIC install
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38598

Hood scoop install
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36422
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

Thanks for the response still weighing lthe sweat vs gain ratio.

A plus for the TMIC is that it should produce an HP gain @ my 5psi "ecoboost" setting which is too low to start injecting methanol.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

susiemk wrote: A plus for the TMIC is that it should produce an HP gain @ my 5psi "ecoboost" setting which is too low to start injecting methanol.
I wouldn't count on it....stock SS/EJ22T is 8.7 PSI w/no TMIC. But @ 13-14 PSI, it should make a difference.

And the VF11 has that 'unique' clocked outlet to the TB inlet hose. I know some have made it work, but it can be an extra 'gotcha' in the install process. The biggest PITA is getting the PCV and F-pipe lines re-routed...and the BPV.

I'm not sure if he ever covered it, but member Skid542 was running meth/alky (?) injection on his SS and may have notes posted here.

And don't forget about the AWIC's. They keep the hood intact.

GL
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'd caution that piecing together and installing an AWIC is not necessarily easier than installing a hood scoop. But the lack of need for a large scoop is nice.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

If you don't want to hack a hood the AWIC is the way to go. I have one car with an AWIC and one with the 06 IC. I went with a large heat exchanger in the AWIC and I swear it always feels cool to the touch. Where the 06 IC is always warm. And if you do hack the hood you need to build something to keep most of the air flowing into the IC.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I really like my AWIC setup, but it's certainly more involved than the regular TMIC.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

He sold me his AWIC. Wanna buy it back? ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

^Naaa,

AWIC is really cool & allows for better charge cooling than is possible with an air to air intercooler but in an effort to keep everything as light & simple as possible I'm sticking with the hot air / meth injection setup on the ghetto-eco-boosted Forester L-t...

To help keep underhood componets a little cooler I'm planning on wrapping the DP & adding a little heat insulation on the turbine housing to lower underhood temps a bit for the summer.

Meth allows me to run 13psi w/o knock & 13psi 0-60 times are in the high 6 second range - not too bad for a stock appearing 4eat Forester.
5psi 0-60 times are on par with all 2015 small suvs like the CRV etc - 8.6s second range to 60mph - not a rocket ship at either setting but I do get great MPGs for a tall brick - 30mpgs on the HW :)
I have a few small tweaks that should add a little power / improve acceleration times at both boost settings - that said my goal is just a 6.6s 0-60 time which I'm basically at now..

Slow spool is hurting acceleration times but allows me to stay out of boost when cruising, so its a compromise I'm OK with.