AWIC folks...

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

impostor
First Gear

AWIC folks...

Post by impostor »

Almost got my setup finished and am planning to run the pump full speed with ignition on but I was wondering if anyone is running a 20g ecu with the pump speed control. Or if you are making the speed vary by other means?
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: AWIC folks...

Post by James614 »

I'd be surprised if anyone that doesn't have a 100% stock setup is using the variable pump speed. Most AWIC guys don't want their pumps running slower than they need to be.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If you ran the legacy ecu needed to control the awic pump, then you wouldn't be able to run a robtune. That would be a deal breaker for me.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

mike-tracy wrote:If you ran the legacy ecu needed to control the awic pump, then you wouldn't be able to run a robtune. That would be a deal breaker for me.
That's the answer I was looking for.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Yeah just run it full speed. You may be able to figure out some way for the pump to vary its speed based on temperature, but then you'd need the ecu to get the temperature readings (which I'm not sure all the intercoolers came with), and you'd need an ecu that would control it, or you'd need to come up with some creative way to do it outside the ecu, and I'm not sure its worth the headache.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I think it could be done off a temp sensor in the water line or a boost sensor that would trigger the high speed with a time delay so it would keep running for a set time after getting out of the boost. I kind of like the idea of a 2 speed pump so there isn't the drag on the charging system all the time when it isn't needed.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Based on the info from the pump I'm using it only draws 8 amps max. Hell most stereos are rated for more amperage draw, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I like cool features like two or variable speed pumps, but complexity/cost vs. benefit are completely against doing it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

Got my setup working quite well, and it looks VERY stock. Especially since its in an Impreza. Only hiccup was I had to vacuum fill the coolant. Filling the conventional way led to air pockets that wouldn't work themselves out.

Now the last thing is brackets. Does anyone have the factory rear bracket that bolts to the trans?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Got any pictures of the setup?

I don't know of anyone that has the brackets. You may want to post in the parts shed or in the Legacy group on facebook.

How did you go about "vacuum" filling? I have filling issues as well since I don't have a bleeder opening on the radiator.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics during the install but I will try to get some pics soon. I will say a TON of time was spent making it look like it belongs on this car. I used several bits of coolant tubes from later turbo EJ's and TIG welded a couple sections together to get the bends that I needed. I used your service manual links to get an idea of the stock routing and made it work quite well in a GC chassis. (THANK YOU for those by the way.) I ended up modifying an airbox bracket from a later EJ25 for the RH support. Of course the next day I did a clutch on a 98 RS and found the stock bracketry is very similar to what I did.

The vacuum filling was done using this little guy http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airl ... B0002SRH5G The other techs I work with swear by it but I was a bit skeptical till I used it on mine. And I am using the stock Legacy radiator with the vent plug but I still had trouble without the vacuum filler.

I just got my Rob tune setup completed a couple weeks ago and everything is holding up great so far. (and it is WAY more fun to drive)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the link to the vacuum filling tool.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

Here is a pic of the engine bay. Disregard the wrx piping being used as a pcv pipe. I'm slowly going back through things and cleaning up some sloppiness from the swap I did 14 years ago. After watching a friend put a fmic on his rsti using the JDM bumper beam I realized I wasted way too much time trimming the usdm beam.

http://s944.photobucket.com/user/Jim_Sh ... %20Uploads
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the picture.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

No problem. I wish I had time to take pictures of the piping as I went. It's almost a work of art how stock it looks. Luckily I work with a couple guys that can weld and fab just about anything I can dream up.
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

Cleaned up a bunch of stuff. Located free OE PCV hoses and a stock bypass valve. The horn clears the filter by an inch or so but I'm tired of moving them so they'll stay there for now.

Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

What model/year Subaru does the AWIC setup come from? Looking for info for a EJ22T swap into a Vanagon.
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It came on the overseas first generation Legacy/Liberty 89-93
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Nice! Yeah I've heard that the non-US Legacy models had intercoolers and produced quite a bit more HP. Do you know about how much more HP could be gained by adding an AWIC to the stock US 91 Legacy SS setup with the VF11 turbo?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Adding an intercooler won't gain any power by itself. But... You could safely raise the boost with a manual boost controller to just under fuel cut at 13 PSI. Stock boost is 8.9 PSI so it will be noticeable for sure. It's anyone's guess how much power over the 160hp stock number that will net you. Close to 200 hp I'd imagine.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

That sounds like the ticket for my Stage 0 setup. I've got the engineering chops to build a simple PID coolant temp controller with an Arduino or mini-stamp to supervise the pump. When I get there, I'll be sure to post that up here.

Have there been other US Subaru models with AWIC setups?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Sadly no US models with AWICs, and nothing prior to our 2002 WRX even offered with an intercooler at all..

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

Just to add my 2 cents here, but I've been pouring over the OE Legacy Intercooler control logic (according to the FSM) and it seems to be strictly based upon throttle opening percentage. There's a table that says when the pump runs full speed, but it essentially runs as soon as the ignition is switched on. The wiring feeds directly to relay 1 and the dropping resistor, then the pump. The ECU only controls the full speed relay 2 which bypasses the resistor.

According to the FSM, the pump goes in to overdrive at 80% throttle opening. I'd imagine you can run it as a low speed full time if you had a larger heat exchanger up front.
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

My Legacy 20G is running the variable speed control. You can bypass it by jumping the dropping resistor and it will run at full speed with ignition on.

I plan on going with an ESL in the future for any management upgrades, so keeping the two step pump is possible.

I'm keeping the low speed as I don't want to burn-out the pump and I'm still on the VF12.
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I was using the Ford Mustang pump and if you are looking to upgrade it flows quite a bit more and works good on single speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Ford, GM, and Mercedes AWIC parts can be found dirt cheap and are designed for 380-600+hp systems, definitely worth looking into for pumps and front heat exchangers.