WTB: Looking to buy RS Type RA or Touring Wagon STi

For sales of complete cars only, from body shells to full builds, running or not.

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum. Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
No partouts or individual parts sales.

All auctions or local sales should be in the Craigslist/eBay forum
jyrine
First Gear

WTB: Looking to buy RS Type RA or Touring Wagon STi

Post by jyrine »

Hi all, well I've been looking forward to 1990 as many of you have because here in the states it means a lot of cars can now be imported with greater ease.

I've always had a thing for the RS type RA, and now after the following two part article came out I decided to take the plunge.
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2014...ns-25-part-01/
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2015...c-car-part-02/

So here is what I am looking for; a mostly stock Legacy RS type RA and/or a Legacy Touring Wagon STi. The closer to stock the better obviously, but I'm open to anything.
These remain the cheapest true import I've been looking at, and do to the nature of my current Legacy Sport Sedan, I need something a little more stock and cheap to maintain without losing the fun.

No real budget, if your car or a car you know of is too much I'll just keep waiting, but for the most part it seems the RA community isn't crazy with their pricing. Looking to buy sooner then later, I can arrange the importing no problem.

Thanks you all in advance! Already cross posted on RSLibertyClub and NASIOC, but if you have another forum you think might work to search in, please let me know as well! :-)
Current Cars:

1994 Crimson Legacy SS -UnderTheKnife-
1994 Aegean Legacy TW - Auto, stock
1994 Craberry Legacy GT - 5MT
1991 MX6 GT - 5MT, ProbeECU
1989 MX6 GT - Auto, FOR SALE
1978 El Camino SS - 4MT, Rebuilt Motor
mike-tracy

Re: WTB: Looking to buy RS Type RA or Touring Wagon STi

Post by mike-tracy »

1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Good luck!

Also, FWIW, the car needs to be 25 years old to the month of manufacture, not just model year.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
mittens
In Neutral

Post by mittens »

You're correct about the date of manufacture.

And I wish you the best of luck on your search. While I was in Japan this summer I didn't see a single first gen on the road. Actually the only first gens I saw were completely overgrown in a field next to a rally shop. When I asked to purchase parts off of them I was denied, even though I had to make my own path through 3 feet of weeds and pull back tree branchs to even uncover the two cars.

TLDR: the Japanese are very reluctant to sell old cars and first gens are extremely rare there
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Happily, those cars have been in Canada for the last decade, so while still rare, they are 'obtanium.'
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Yeah, I'd say there's a much higher chance of finding them for sale from Canada, the UK, or the places with the Kangaroos than Japan.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
jyrine
First Gear

Post by jyrine »

mike-tracy wrote:Your links got truncated, I believe these are the ones?

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2014/12 ... 5-part-01/
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2015/01 ... r-part-02/
Those are indeed, thank you!
James614 wrote:Good luck!

Also, FWIW, the car needs to be 25 years old to the month of manufacture, not just model year.
Yes but if coming from Canada its just dependent on the year. They don't consider them month. I'm not sure if Australia and the UK are the same.
mittens wrote:You're correct about the date of manufacture.

And I wish you the best of luck on your search. While I was in Japan this summer I didn't see a single first gen on the road. Actually the only first gens I saw were completely overgrown in a field next to a rally shop. When I asked to purchase parts off of them I was denied, even though I had to make my own path through 3 feet of weeds and pull back tree branchs to even uncover the two cars.

TLDR: the Japanese are very reluctant to sell old cars and first gens are extremely rare there
Wow, that's pretty brutal. I figured I wouldn't find them from japan and have to look elsewhere, but I didn't realize they were so prized there.
Current Cars:

1994 Crimson Legacy SS -UnderTheKnife-
1994 Aegean Legacy TW - Auto, stock
1994 Craberry Legacy GT - 5MT
1991 MX6 GT - 5MT, ProbeECU
1989 MX6 GT - Auto, FOR SALE
1978 El Camino SS - 4MT, Rebuilt Motor
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Thanks for sharing the cool article. Good luck with your car search.
90 L+ wgn
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Canada gets a special exception for cars manufactured there, and if a car is registered and titled in Canada it isn't subject to the stringent customs port inspections. I guess you could tell them the car was originally a non-Canadian import if you wanted to be Mr. GoodGuy. I'm sure nobody uses this to their advantage ;)