Opinion Needed: Megan Racing Header

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Megan Racing Poll - What should i do!?!?

Yeah man!!! Get the Headers
No votes
Don't Waste your money. Just leave it Stock
67%
Spend more and Get Better Stuff
33%

Total votes: 15

NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Opinion Needed: Megan Racing Header

Post by NuclearBacon »

So i have a chance to get a Megan racing Downpipe and a racing header... Ive read mucho about the downpipe sometimes cracking? that sounds like it sucks..... for $80?? worth it?

is this a "get what i pay for" situation???

The header though. i cant find any pics of it, are they equal length? or close to equal length? do they suck? WILL I LOSE MY BOXER RUMBLE?!!?>! i do not want to lose my boxer rumble.

I need opinions!!!!!!! insights!!!!!!! Rants!!!!! lay them ON ME!!!
Thanks!!!!!
Last edited by NuclearBacon on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

DP was sold so i didnt get that.... What about the headers?????

ANYONE?!?!?!
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

What are you trying to accomplish? All I've heard is that they are lighter than stock and do away with some troublesome heat shields. Don't do anything for power and run hotter than stock...I guess you could get them and wrap them in heat tape...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

It has been proven that cheap headers on turbo Subarus can actually lose power...and the take away a lot of the rumble sound in the exhaust

So don't bother...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

555BCTurbo wrote:So don't bother...
Thank you. Advise taken.
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
createnew
First Gear

Post by createnew »

If you do decide to get an aftermarket header. Whatever you do. Make sure it is UNequal length. Take a look at the Borla, Agency Power, and possibly the Mad Dad headers. I know for sure the first to sound great. A friend of mine put the AP header on and said it sounded great.

P.S. There's cheap knock offs showing up on Ebay that use this same design. I'll be getting one of these in a couple weeks and I'll let you guys know how it sounds. :D
Yellow '01 Kaw. ZX-7R (SOLD) :(
Gold '88 Starion ESI-R (Drift Project)
Brgndy '92 Legacy SS, Agency Power Style Headers and Up-pipe (ebay, don't stay together), Underdrive Pully, 5MT conv, mod'd WRX cold air intake and short shifter, 12.5 lb fly
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Whats wrong with EL headers?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

beatersubi wrote:Whats wrong with EL headers?
They partially erase the familiar Subaru sound. Performance wise they are usually great though.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

+1 - EL headers loose the boxer sound, but can gain some HP if properly designed.

+1 on badly designed headers Loosing HP ( I read an article in Japanese Performance Mag. of England where a header lost midrange power, but peak power was the same - the design looks like the Un-EL E-bay style header (not sure if you can trust a Mag article)) .

I personally do not care about the boxer sound & will happily loose it for some WHP so I'm testing a set of ELs on my LSS.
If it gets quicker they stay, if it slows down the stock manifold will go back on.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I've heard really bad things about the cheapo flex up-pipes. I'll try to find the picture I saw on nasioc awhile back. Basically they just sort of collapse and fall apart. At the least they restrict flow, at the worst you get chunks going through the turbo.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

BXSS wrote:I personally do not care about the boxer sound & will happily loose it for some WHP so I'm testing a set of ELs on my LSS.
If it gets quicker they stay, if it slows down the stock manifold will go back on.
Let us know how it turns out. I, as well, could do without the boxer drone, and am always looking for more powa.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

The headers I'm using are crazy looking S-Steel EL's & go from 4 (primarys) - 2 (primary-up-pipe joint (up-pipe is 2 tubes side by side)) - 1 (2" from the Turbo flange).
They also have expansion (slip) joints in 3 places which should help to keep them from cracking.

I have posted my past mods/gains in this post -
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... c&start=25
& will post the results on the headers / ported Turbo there as well, but I'm lazy so it may take a while...

If you go to TODA's website they have some interesting thoughts on MODDING the H4 which include headers either el or un-el.
TODA makes amazing motors/parts so I'd give almost anything they say some thought.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
asotwavb
First Gear

Re: Opinion Needed: Megan Racing Header

Post by asotwavb »

You gotta think, how long did subaru spend deisgning and testing there manifolds? Im sure quite a couple *hours* went into them.....

For 80 bucks your not gonna beat them
1992 Legacy Sport
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

What i did NOT notice in this thread is power as far as stock headers, i think if you upgrade headers, go for sti headers (don't think there's much of a difference).

STIs put 300 hp down from the factory with a stock header, and if our headers are the same, why change them? If you really wanna do some work to your headers, send them to grimmspeed or send a stock turbo header to grimmspeed.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Best thing you can do is get the JDM or the more "equal" length runner stock headers. They flow very well, no issues and retain the cast iron to keep heat "in" the exhaust.

Pics
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... tmanifold/

After coating
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... xhcoating/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Still a debate, almost three years later?