high flow cat

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lucas
Third Gear

high flow cat

Post by lucas »

I have a 1993 ss and am wanting to change out the cat due to a nasty rock accident. would a high flow cat benefit me in anyway?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

just take it out :wink:

yeah it will benefit you
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I'm currently in the market for an aftermarket downpipe. I've been debating between catless or high-flow catted.

Now, I've heard that our cars can pass emissions w/o a cat (with a proper tune), but the token environmentalist in me wonders just how much power a high-flow cat would actually rob.
Anyone know or have experience with catted vs. catless exhaust?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

It should not make much of a difference in HP vs. a decatted exhaust.

I'm thinking about catting my SS too.
I have a 3" inlet/3"outlet Catco cat. in the garage, I just have to go put it on.
Last edited by BXSS on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

i kinda need the car to have a cat on it sense i live in California, gay ass emissions laws. But a high flow cat would benefit better than a stock one, right?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Yes...the high flow catalysts are excellent...and will definately assist with lessening the exhaust restriction.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

lucas wrote:i kinda need the car to have a cat on it sense i live in California, gay ass emissions laws.
Those laws are in effect across the entire country. Not all states or the counties within those states utilize the sniffer test yet. Most just have the visual inspection of the required parts for emissions control.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

For the enviromentalist to use a cat is pure blasphomy. Catlytic converters change hydrocarbons and NOx into greenhouse gasses. The emissions inspection program is to improve air quality for HUMANS. Greenhouse gasses are very harmful to the environment, but not humans.
Take out your cat, prevent global warming. peace.
-Adam
Kickin' it old-school.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Arctic Assassian wrote:For the enviromentalist to use a cat is pure blasphomy. Catlytic converters change hydrocarbons and NOx into greenhouse gasses. The emissions inspection program is to improve air quality for HUMANS. Greenhouse gasses are very harmful to the environment, but not humans.
-Adam
hA ha +1-ish

we have more cows than people here so NO WORRIES! :D
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

cows farts = heavy methane concentration = green house gasses

Yep, I said cow fart... :lol:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Some state emission laws are more strict than others. California sets the highest standard and other states have followed: MA, CT, NJ, ME, MD, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA. Surprisingly, the People's Republic of CO isn't in there! 16 states have challenged the EPAs denial that the state can set their own (stricter) standards in response to California's plan on regulating CO2 (which is really a way of regulating mileage).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Arctic Assassian wrote:For the enviromentalist to use a cat is pure blasphomy. Catlytic converters change hydrocarbons and NOx into greenhouse gasses. The emissions inspection program is to improve air quality for HUMANS. Greenhouse gasses are very harmful to the environment, but not humans.
-Adam
I'm guessing you're joking around....but in the event you're not...

Not that I'm condoning one way or another for cat use......your statement about emissions and green house gasses is very misleading and mostly incorrect in my mind.

NOx causes smog, and acid rain, pollution, etc. Last time I checked, those are bad for the environment. Excess HC & CO, again, aren't good for the environment either.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Here it comes... The tree huggers vs. the speak freaks! :lol:
Jason
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dropdfocus wrote:Here it comes... The tree huggers vs. the speak freaks! :lol:
ha ha i read both sides of that situation constantly and i'm still not sure what to believe... other than why would you put something in your car that will increase emissions.. like a cat. so i know that must be a point.

ish?
amen?
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Legacy777 wrote:
I'm guessing you're joking around....but in the event you're not...

NOx causes smog, and acid rain, pollution, etc. Last time I checked, those are bad for the environment. Excess HC & CO, again, aren't good for the environment either.
It's six one, half dozen the other. I'm gonna die before the shit hits the fan anyways, call me selfish, but my car will forever be UHEV.
Kickin' it old-school.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I ran my car cat-less for about 2 weeks until I could afford a high flow cat. Once I got the high flow cat put on, I really didn't notice a difference in power.

Just throw on a high quality high-flow cat and you'll be fine.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

so what im getting at is what kinda of cat should i buy, and the cat im talking about is where the downpipe meets the mid pipe right?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yes that's the correct spot. Any high flow cat should work...
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

thanks, team effort every one gets a gold star.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

And don't throw out the old one - bring it to a recycler - you should get some decent money for it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

I am definately not a tree-hugger-particularly when mountain biking or skiing. But, going into each "Earth Day", I avoid eating flatulent foods, or drinking beer. :roll:
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
GTEASER
First Gear

Re: high flow cat

Post by GTEASER »

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I just picked up an Invidia Bellmouth Catless DP for my '92 SS and am considering adding a hi-flow cat in the event that I manage to pass visual part of the CA emissions test. Of course I will hang on to the stock DP, but there is a possibility that the technician wont notice the aftermarket cat, and with it, the sniff test should pass fine. I don't want to have to change back to stock if I can help it.

Anyway, I have been doing a little internet searching, and most metal cats (not talking ceramic - too restrictive) are rated by the density of their stainless steel core, ie: 100, 200 or 400 (factory) cells per square inch. Will a 200cpsi cat be hi-flow enough for a forced induction application or should I find a 100cpsi cat?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I didn't know there was a standard to which they were rated. Every I've seen with one just says its a high flow, some say metal. I doubt most people know how dense theirs is.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

This is a good article explaining CPSI.

http://www.carexhaustreviews.com/what-d ... stand-for/

If you can find a 100 cpsi high flow can that would probably give you the least amount of back pressure through the cat. Will a 200 cpsi work, sure. I couldn't however tell you whether you'd notice a difference in performance between the 100 & 200.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
GTEASER
First Gear

Post by GTEASER »

Thanks Josh!