everyone is going to think im crazy but check this out!!

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

letsridestreet
First Gear

everyone is going to think im crazy but check this out!!

Post by letsridestreet »

I decide to do a little project and make my own muffler! About this time last year i jump my car not on purpose. So i said to myself why not make one!!! here are some pics of what i got so far. i still need to run a pipe through it and pack it and finish welding but i think it will turn out. I will fill everyone in with updates.

1993 Turbo legacy wagon. (elboostio) $600
(Anyone can turn a wrench, but how well does he turn that wrench)
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Ummm...Is that galvanized HVAC ductwork you're welding together?
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
letsridestreet
First Gear

Post by letsridestreet »

yes it is. I know its not right but this is just a mock up to see if i could do it. I am going to make it out of 16 gage cold rolled steal. i just need to figure out everything. Lets just say it wasnt easy to weld
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

letsridestreet wrote:yes it is. I know its not right but this is just a mock up to see if i could do it. I am going to make it out of 16 gage cold rolled steal. i just need to figure out everything. Lets just say it wasnt easy to weld
LOL, fair enough. I was afraid you were going to actually make a muffler out of it. Your lungs must hate you after welding that galvanized crap!
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
letsridestreet
First Gear

Post by letsridestreet »

oh shit yeh i had the vents on full blast all this white shit floating around and stuff.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

nice!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Interesting!
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I like it. I've often thought about making my own twin tip muffler, since i cannot find any designs that I actually like and feel that they will perform as well as a mondo 3" ID melon shooter.

I know there are places to find some ceramic packing that will not burn out in less than a year. I don't know if you are trying to get that fancy though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
letsridestreet
First Gear

Post by letsridestreet »

hey thanx guys!! i still dont know what i am going to do for packing. I just thought it would be cool when people ask where i bought the muffler! And i can say i built i thought that would be pretty cool
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

sounds like a great project keep us updated
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I
just thought it would be cool when people ask where i bought the muffler! And i can say i built i thought that would be pretty cool
You may not see that day if you weld galvanized shit again!

Cool idea though,you are going to have to be thorough with your welds or it will probably leak.Other than that and the fact that it may not be worth it in the end i say press on and see how it works.I am also the type to spend time and money on silly things :roll:
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
letsridestreet
First Gear

Post by letsridestreet »

Hey guys so i am almost done with the muffler went down to the local exhaust shop and they hooked me up with a roll of packing. I think the worst part of this whole thing was drilling like 300 holes in the pipe i have to run through it. All that's really left is to pack it and weld it up! I will have final pictures soon and pictures of it on the car!
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

Just to say it again folks: DO NOT WELD GALVINIZED STEEL!!! the zinc becomes an airborne toxic, and it can kill you!!! If it doesn't kill you it can make the rest of your life hell, medically.
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Ive seen people weld galvanized on TV, they just held their breath. But they probably had good health insurance.

Interested to see how this sounds when it's on. I may have to do something like this myself whenever I get a garage...
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

tahiti350 wrote:Just to say it again folks: DO NOT WELD GALVINIZED STEEL!!! the zinc becomes an airborne toxic, and it can kill you!!! If it doesn't kill you it can make the rest of your life hell, medically.

It does become and airborne toxic, yes. Do people do it everyday? Yes. What about the guys who repair factory sheetmetal everyday?
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

gijonas wrote:Cool idea though,you are going to have to be thorough with your welds or it will probably leak.
Most factory and replcement mufflers have a drainage hole somewhere, usually near the back, so condensation doesn't rust it out from the inside.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Do people do it everyday? Yes. What about the guys who repair factory sheetmetal everyday?
What facory sheet metal is this??? And if someone is doing this they will probably either be taking to joe bornstein soon or they remove ALL galvanizing before welding. ;-)

Oh and some people punch there wives everyday,should we call it healthy??
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

gijonas wrote:
Oh and some people punch there wives everyday,should we call it healthy??
Wait...is that not okay?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Dirty91Legacy
First Gear

Post by Dirty91Legacy »

The chemical that comes off of welding galv. steel actually condenses within a coupld of inches off the weld making it harmless...At my work some people that where welding it were freakin out so i called OSHA and its all good as long as you have the proper ventilation in the shop. However you could always just through a fan up so long as it doesnt blow away your shielding gas.
When in doubt...Go flat out.
-Colin Mcrae-
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It's an old point to make now, but just one example of factory sheet metal that's galvanized is the BC/BJ Subaru Legacy.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
amd4me
In Neutral

Re: everyone is going to think im crazy but check this out!!

Post by amd4me »

The pictures, I not see them.