Full 3" w/ no muffler???

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Slow Hatch
First Gear

Full 3" w/ no muffler???

Post by Slow Hatch »

My Legacy came with an ebay muffler just welded on the end of the stock exhaust section. I've already got a 3in downpipe off a Wrx to put on, and when I do I'm going to go ahead and run full 3" all the way back. I hate the way most mufflers look, so was thinking about not even running one. I'd imagine to would be hard to make the Boxer motor sound bad, but what do you guys think about it??? Thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It will be loud and illegal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Slow Hatch
First Gear

Post by Slow Hatch »

Legacy777 wrote:It will be loud and illegal.
Lol, never stopped me before. However this is different than my turbo Civic running open downpipe. Do the ebay mufflers really quiet it down that much???
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I couldn't tell you. The turbo muffles things somewhat, however you will still need a muffler. I've got a straight through muffler and a resonator, and the sound is very good. Loud enough, but not obnoxious.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

For a while, I had 3" straight through and only a muffler. Got lots of looks coming from a wagon. After a few months, the noise just got to be too annoying. Couldn't really carry on a conversation with the passengers. Long highway trips the noise would get on my nerves.

Got a resonator installed which helped to quiet it down and take away some of the raspyness. All is satisfactory now.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

I have a 3" setup with a Flowmaster muffler AND a resonator, and it is loud and obnoxious. I could only imagine what it would sound like without a muffler at all.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I had 3" straight on my SS right before I got rid of it...and it was loud...but it wasn't my daily driver, so no worries
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

DO EEEEETT!!!!

Apparently I'm the only one who likes it loud! I have a 3" Invidia v2 downpipe and full 3" custom mandrel bent from there back. The only muffler is a Borla-XR1 which is straight through like a resonator but it is oval shaped with more packing to absorb sound.

It's not loud enough! You can hear it and it rumbles and sounds bad ass, but when I get on it - it doesn't scream! The turbo is like it's own muffler so I saw why get another one?

In all honesty it would probably be really harsh, pingy, and metaly sounding so I would at least put some sort of small magnaflow resonator on there. It'll just take the edge off the harshness while allowing the true tones to escape.

But yeah as far as legality... my setup is pushing it. If I cruise past a cop he probably won't give me trouble but if I go WOT yeah I am getting a ticket.
-Doug Wilson
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

I say try it out. Run the 3" with no muffler for awhile and just test it out.

It wouldnt hurt... plus it would be loud!

and if it isnt for you than put a muffler or something of the sort on

Good Luck!
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The ebay mufflers do work, and quite well might I add. Granted, your turbo is small and will take some sound away, but it will still be loud and drone on the highway.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

GodSquadMandrake wrote:DO EEEEETT!!!!

Apparently I'm the only one who likes it loud!
Exactly. Loud is cool at the track or rallying. Not cool on the streets where everyone has to listen to it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

SubiePrice88 wrote:I say try it out. Run the 3" with no muffler for awhile and just test it out.

Good Luck!
Only thing I'll caution is depending on where your outlet is with no muffler, typically before the axle, you may have hot exhaust gasses aimed at your cv boot.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Slow Hatch
First Gear

Post by Slow Hatch »

Legacy777 wrote:
SubiePrice88 wrote:I say try it out. Run the 3" with no muffler for awhile and just test it out.

Good Luck!
Only thing I'll caution is depending on where your outlet is with no muffler, typically before the axle, you may have hot exhaust gasses aimed at your cv boot.
I plan on running the piping all the way to the rear of the car just like factory. Only just straight pipe.
A1Fiddler
First Gear

Post by A1Fiddler »

At least put a 12" Glasspack or something on there. It will make it sound nicer without quieting it down a whole lot.
'92 Legacy Sport Sedan - EJ22T, 4EAT, AWD - Snorkle Delete, Custom Grounding, 3" Catless TBE.
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

my car has 3'' catless to a stromung pretty bad ass
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

Ditto on the glass-pac. I put one in right where the second cat used to be, it takes the harsh tones out for a nice mellow exhaust note... Actually, I couldn't find a stainless glass-pac in that size on short order, so its actually a tractor muffler from tractor supply... the design is identical and they are far more durable. But even with that in, strait pipe was still way too loud for my new suburban neighborhood.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

My car has 3'' TBE with just a Ebay cannon. It sounds AMAZING! It's just the right volume for me, but others may not like it.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
screemingbark
First Gear

Post by screemingbark »

here is what my '91 SS sounds like running stock TB pipes and no pipes after the rear axle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ENiwr6f70
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

^ you need rolling shots and better camera skills.

it sounds like a v8 though.

im catless 3" to a custom built titanium muffler. i can take the muffler on or off with a few screws and i definitely prefer muffled.
i do like it loud, and at wot, its mean
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
screemingbark
First Gear

Post by screemingbark »

I would have rolling shots, but the clutch is fried. Also if you read the video description, the video was shot off my cell phone for audio not video. I could have done a way better job if my goal was to shoot the car. :P

I have a clutch on the way, maybe I'll make another video once my TMIC is in along with my VF39 :D
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

man i would really suggest a muffler. i put 3" stainless all the way out the back. it was really loud, i liked it alot, but i got pulled over 7 times in 2 weeks. when the cops came to my door 5 out of the 7 cops said they were looking for the tractor...i didn't get any tickets because i just told them im too cheap to run a muffler but i would get one on the next pay check. so i just ebay'd a cheap stainless muffler and put it on. it sounds really good now and it...well its not real quiet but i haven't got pulled over since (except for breaking the suggested corner speed through the mountains) all in all it is just more tone with a muffler. look at megan mufflers, they are expensive but i have been pleased with them.
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

o ya btw i have all mandrel bent pieces...ebay of course.
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

3" turbo back is loud. got pulled over 3 times in one day and 7 times in two weeks. every cop told me it sounded like a tractor.
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

where did everyone find these "free flowing" or "straight through" mufflers? My muffler muffles too much for me :D
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
jdmellor28
First Gear

Post by jdmellor28 »

I have a 3" turbo back WRX exhaust. I think it has like 2 resonators built in .. and a straight through muffler. To be honest i bet it came from Ebay or something .. it was on the car when i got it .

BUT ... its LOUD .. shoots FIRE .. and looks good to me.

i have had some complants from older people . But my friends love it and i love it .

I say run straight pipe ! why not ? try it out and let us know how it sounds !
jdm jeffrey
photos : http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/jeffreydm28/legacy/