NEW to the Scene - 91 Legacy - Need Help on Exhaust

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:I'm not trying to force a sale on you, just letting you know I have them if you happened to be looking for a 3" exhaust. You don't need one, that's for sure but then again neither do I lol. I read in a book on turbochargers that a 3" exhaust is good for like 700hp or something so it's overkill really.

I think I had them up for sale for $75 shipped even though I'd probably lose about $60 per muffler after paying shipping twice on it and cutting the price down. Sucks to think about it. For the tips, I'd say $30 shipped a piece.
I'm still interested. Trying to decide on the single or dual exit.

Thank you for your help though. You have really helped me out a lot!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Remember....since your car is non-turbo, you really don't need piping much larger than 2-1/4" and that's probably pushing the limit of what I would go.

For non-turbo setups, you're almost better just getting a header that will fit, and have an exhaust shop fab something up with the muffler and cat you want to use.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Legacy777 wrote:Remember....since your car is non-turbo, you really don't need piping much larger than 2-1/4" and that's probably pushing the limit of what I would go.

For non-turbo setups, you're almost better just getting a header that will fit, and have an exhaust shop fab something up with the muffler and cat you want to use.
Thank you for the input. I think you are right about not needing the 3" pipe.

Also, update to all, I just crawled under my car and I really don't think I need the entire exhaust system like the garage told me. It isn't leaking any exhaust at the header or cat. If you guys know what I am talking about, the double-walled piping that runs from cat to cat is loose. Right where the double-wall piping runs out at the end of the second cat is where it is loose and rattling. I think I could just get the muffler shop to weld it nicely back together. The muffler definitely needs to be replace though. It is rusted out and you can hear the exhaust leaking out of it.

Any recommendations for a muffler that would give me a nice "boxer" sound without going overboard with noise?

Thanks again to everyone helping me! I really really appreciate it!!
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Good thing you took the time to look at it... Trust, but verify! You probably just need a couple of exhaust joint gaskets, if that's the case, unless you can see or feel a hole in the actual pipe where exhaust gas is escaping... Those an be ordered online cheap, or the muffler shop might have them.

Any aftermarket staight-thru muffler will boost your sound output, but consider adding a resonator (like an in line mini-muffler) to the system if you go in that direction, it will cut down the raspy fart noise and leave a mellow, deeper note. Any decent muffler shop will have an assortment, they all sound basically the same, just different styles; pick one that looks good to you.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ahh yes i completely forgot we are talking about an N/A here... well regardless you should still be able to find something for a fraction of the dealership cost. YOu could probably have a muffler shop custom make your exhaust for a few hundred.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Aerotech wrote:Good thing you took the time to look at it... Trust, but verify! You probably just need a couple of exhaust joint gaskets, if that's the case, unless you can see or feel a hole in the actual pipe where exhaust gas is escaping... Those an be ordered online cheap, or the muffler shop might have them.

Any aftermarket staight-thru muffler will boost your sound output, but consider adding a resonator (like an in line mini-muffler) to the system if you go in that direction, it will cut down the raspy fart noise and leave a mellow, deeper note. Any decent muffler shop will have an assortment, they all sound basically the same, just different styles; pick one that looks good to you.
Yeah, thank you. I am truly happy I did look at it today. I also went ahead and changed out the trans/front diff/rear diff oils today while I was under there.

I will ask the muffler shop about a resonator. Thank you for the tip!

What do you think about going with a Borla Pro XS or a Borla Hush? From what I have read, they sound pretty good.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Mattheww044 wrote:ahh yes i completely forgot we are talking about an N/A here... well regardless you should still be able to find something for a fraction of the dealership cost. YOu could probably have a muffler shop custom make your exhaust for a few hundred.
yes, I think I am going to just get a resonator and a muffler and have the shop just weld up the spot where the pipe is rattling.
94LegWagon
First Gear

Post by 94LegWagon »

I was recently in the same predicament as you, I just went to a local muffler shop and got a magnaflow welded up with a single tip, IMO looks really good and sounds even better. To me it lets out the perfect amount of subie rumble. Not to loud but you can definitely hear me from a bit of a distance. Muffler, tip installed was around ~150, not to bad. If it is to loud for you, just go back and have the shop install a resonator for you. I'll try and post a pic later.
94 Legacy Wagon N/A 5mt AWD
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

I actually went with a dynomax turbo muffler....sounds great!
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
soobrdad02
First Gear

Post by soobrdad02 »

I know that you had posted about putting the ebay header on the car, I was wondering if you had done that or if the muffler the only exhaust upgrade that you've done?
"All four wheels spin? Huh, that's AWD..."

*1991 Legacy wagon, 4EAT, n/a*
*1966 Chevrolet C-10 pick-'em-up*
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

soobrdad02 wrote:I know that you had posted about putting the ebay header on the car, I was wondering if you had done that or if the muffler the only exhaust upgrade that you've done?
I decided just to go with the muffler for now and everything has worked out well...no need for the header yet.
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread