Downpipe question

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

Downpipe question

Post by Redlined »

ok... after a 6 month Work binge I have money flowing out my ears and want to spend some of it on Angel.... or.... have spent some of it on Angel... but thats not the point.

I have a 06 STI cat-back exhaust system. with x " extension so it will fit my car. as I continue to up the anti Im thinking I need to bring the Downpipe up to spec. so the question is what should I do for a down pipe. YES I KNOW the STI exhaust is only 2.5" not 3" and you can bite me. I dont plan to upgrade from that. I like having a car that I can bury the gas pedal and not alert every five-0 for three blocks.

So... is there an appropriate year STI down pipe that matches ours? (since my 06 exhaust was lengthened to match my stock Downpipe)

Should I go After-market?

Should I get an 06 DP? and maybe have my exhaust adjusted to fit it?

Whats my best choice?

as always, Thanks in advance!
Dave

Post by Josh222 »

I wouldn't bother replacing the stock downpipe for another factory downpipe off a STI. They are both crappy flow wise just being a flat plate with a small hole in it. You want a nice bellmouth our divorced downpipe.
92 Touring Wagon Mica Black(sold)
99 Outback Limited(sold)
05 Outback XT Limited
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I would just get an apftermarket DP, if you dont want it to be loud you can get a catted one, but since your not running full 3" TBE it shouldnt be too loud.

(please note I am sure our opinions on loud are way different, I have 3" bellmouth DP, 1 resonator, 1 gutted dual tip muffler, and the rest is all 3" pipe. Suprisingly, it sounds really good and isnt "too loud". I actually want a little louder but that's nothing I am too concerned about ATM)
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

No worries. Pretty sure just changing the dp won't change the volume much. Was mostly defending my reason for staying with the sti exhaust.
Dave