catalytic converter issue

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jbracefan1977
In Neutral

catalytic converter issue

Post by jbracefan1977 »

So I had check engine light on for the last week or so and finally got around to reading the code. Its a bad cat and I have to pass smog in 2 months. I called the dealer and they want a ridiculous amount of money. So I started researching and found several options but no definite info. It looks like their are 3 main companies catco, eastern and magnaflow catalytic converter.

have any of you had any experience with any of these companies?

I'm leaning towards a high flow magnaflow or eastern but just looking for a little experience like did yours fail after a short while, or did you have any install issues?

Thanks for any help you can offer
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: catalytic converter issue

Post by Legacy777 »

What car is this on?

I've been happy with my magnaflow high flow cat.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I see you are in Kansas City and as far as I know they don't have any smog checks. There is the state inspection that is done every 2 years and that is it. Has something changed that I need to know? I live in Parkville.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Just cuz you got the engine code doesnt mean that your cat wont pass the smog test,
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It does, depending on the state, if he has an active CEL when he goes in. I've gotten the code in my Legacy and on the Mazda once. It usually goes away and only lasts a short time. Never had a problem with inspection from either and MA is one of the Bad Five. If the light is out when you go in, see if it passes before worrying about it. What year is the car? Even MA has an emissions statute of limitations of 15 years (or so I've been told).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.