Overboosting by adding a 3" exhaust?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Smoothinto2nd
First Gear

Overboosting by adding a 3" exhaust?

Post by Smoothinto2nd »

I've started parting together the mods I plan on putting on my car and the first piece I was able to find was a 3" catless TBE. I was planning on just throwing it on but when I went to go pick up the 3" gaskets at a local tuning shop one of the guys warned me that adding the exhaust without engine management would cause the car to overboost and "break stuff."

This is the first turbo charged car I've had so I'm unfamiliar with some of the characteristics of what some modifications do and how other things react to it. Can someone explain what "stuff" I might end up breaking and why?

Cheers!
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: Overboosting by adding a 3" exhaust?

Post by gijonas »

Sounds like this shop might be in the business of selling engine management?.I assume they must be referring to the small additional boot creep that may take place due to the additional exhaust flow out the turbine,but no your not going to break anything by putting a bigger exhaust on.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Smoothinto2nd
First Gear

Post by Smoothinto2nd »

ah ok... so other than attention from the man I shouldn't have anything to worry about?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Bad boost creep is common on STi's that have a stock VF39. I haven't seen decent exhaust become an issue on these older cars. The motor is smaller, and the heads and intake keep the flow down, so you shouldn't have an issue.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Smoothinto2nd
First Gear

Post by Smoothinto2nd »

93forestpearl wrote:Bad boost creep is common on STi's that have a stock VF39. I haven't seen decent exhaust become an issue on these older cars. The motor is smaller, and the heads and intake keep the flow down, so you shouldn't have an issue.
Ok that would make sense then why this shop gave the warning. It was a Subaru tuner who had a shop full of newer cars.

I don't plan on going to crazy with my car. My plan is just tbe, intake, wrx intercooler, then a mbc and maybe go up from there.
Last edited by Smoothinto2nd on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah, no boost creep issues for you. I'm guessing the shop owners have not seen 22T heads off the car before.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m