How hot is gas right after the turbo?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

How hot is gas right after the turbo?

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm reading over how to install my LC-1 wideband and my bung is located at the top of the downpipe directly behind the internal wastegate. The LC-1 manual says the sensor should not exceed 900*F. That seems a bit low. It says if it's going to see more than 900*F to make a copper heatsink with a hole in it for the sensor to go through and it would bolt on top of the bung on the outside of the pipe.

Should I be worried about the temps coming out of the turbo or is it low enough to not damage the sensor?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How hot is gas right after the turbo?

Post by Legacy777 »

Everyone runs the wide band sensors at that location, so you should be ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alright cool. No copper heat sink? lol
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No copper heat sink.

Once I get my EGT situated I'd be able to provide pre turbine inlet temps. You will loose heat through the turbo....how much I'm not sure. Whenever I get my car running, I can try and do a laser thermometer on the turbo to see.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

where did u end up picking that up at kimo? and how much? i wanna get one asap especialy since i plan on swapping my td04 on
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

where did u end up picking that up at

DIY autotune. prolly.

And no the temps wont be an issue.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Amazon.com best prices I could find. I buy a lot of stuff off amazon actually. Great site I love it. They sell the LC-1 with the AFR gauge that matches up with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QF ... hs_product

I also bought the matching boost gauge from innovate on amazon.com at the same time. They're pretty sick gauges. They're blacked out when they're not on and you can hook it up for amber backlighting or white. Pics in my build thread on page 22 I think.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

damn thats a really good deal, I would certainly prefer to have a digital read-out on the guage though.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

They make digital gauges too. Check out their website and I'm pretty sure they sell the bundle with the digital gauge alogn with the sensor on amazon too.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I've had the LC-1, sensor and XD-16 digital gauge combo for quite a while... works pretty good for the most part.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

For the most part? Was there something you didn't like about it? Are you talking about the gauge or the wideband?
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Yes, for the most part... as in every ~6 months or so, it seems the wideband firmware gets corrupted on what its calibration is (I notice because during driving my AFRs swing from 5 to 30, which is obviously not normal). It simply requires one to recalibrate the sensor (easily invoked via software or the XD16 gauge button) and then re-setting the custom fuel range (i.e. 14.2 instead of the typical 14.7 for gas to compensate for the ethanol).

If you read over the Innovative forums, dozens of people complain about the wideband dying in a really short period of time, getting to hot (and then the XD16 gauge reads E-8), or grounding issues resulting in wide displayed number range. I've personally never had any of these problems since I installed it on my cars 15 months ago. Although, I do have it installed in the lower bung on the 3" DP, instead of the OEM O2 sensor location.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh swell. I didn't even know there was a forum for innovate. Thanks for the heads up. I just ran the wiring through the firewall and dash for the LC-1. I do recall the manual recommending you recalibrate either every 3 months or every 6 months for the best results.