3" downpipe to Stock exhaust?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Hustleshark206
In Neutral

3" downpipe to Stock exhaust?

Post by Hustleshark206 »

I want to let me 91' SS breathe easier and let that beautiful boxer rumble shine through a bit more than my stock setup allows. I want to put an after market WRX/STI downpipe on it and have an exhaust shop extend my stock midpipe to accommodate this. I have read many thread here about doing this but all of the aftermarket downpipes are 3". Can this be adapted to my stock catback? Will it be worth it or should I just go for a full 3" TBE? I am not too awfully concerned about the noise. Here in Seattle there are TONS of loud subies and it seems well tolerated as long as your are not being a dumbass.

I was looking at this downpipe because it has the bung located at the top like our stock set up.

Thanks guys!

Fast, Cheap , Reliable. I want all three.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: 3" downpipe to Stock exhaust?

Post by gijonas »

In my opinion it kind of defeats the purpose if you just end up bottlenecking it like that
Just save up for a tbe.

94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wouldn't waste your money if you're still going to keep the stock piping and muffler. But I have a 3" downpipe for sale if you want to lol. $50 I'm located 10 mins south of olympia.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Hustleshark206
In Neutral

Post by Hustleshark206 »

kimokalihi wrote:I wouldn't waste your money if you're still going to keep the stock piping and muffler. But I have a 3" downpipe for sale if you want to lol. $50 I'm located 10 mins south of olympia.
^Can you PM me a picture of it please? Sounds like a full 3" TBE is the way to go. I thought it would bottle neck the exhaust going that route too but it seems like some have done it that way. Thanks guys.
Fast, Cheap , Reliable. I want all three.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I just put a 3" dp bellmouth catless and bolted it to the stock mid. Doesn't smell except when I floor it sometimes according to friends behind me + it makes the exhaust louder outside, but inside the car its the same. Supposedly it helps performance although I think my up pipe to turbo gasket is leaking + the stock mid pipe cat could possibly be clogged.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

ok, so what about if you did 3" all the way back to an STI axleback... i believe they're 2.5" would there be power loss?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nah. 3" exhaust is good for like 1000hp or something. So I'm sure 2.5 would not be a restriction especially coming off a 300hp car.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

yeah that's kind of what i was thinking too i really just wanna keep mysaelf under the radar, and quiet the inside of my car.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Exactly. Loud exhausts are for racecars and ricers. STIs are pretty quiet right?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

yeah
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

It's been a couple years since I did this, but the 3" bell mouth (looks like the one in the pic) I installed hooked up to the rest of the stock SS exhaust just fine...might have a had a small exhaust leak to fix....can't remember for sure.

It made a difference...maybe not on the real dyno, but the car would rev more freely and get to redline easier. Do it and get a full 3" back when you can.

I also have the STi axle-back. It's 2.5". WRX is same as stock @ 2.25", IIRC. I doubt it's costing me any HP, but I'm only about 180HP/230 torque to the wheels w/my setup.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

I had a 3" DP with the stock exhaust as well, it required a custom flange. I still have it all laying around somewhere.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

kimokalihi wrote:Exactly. Loud exhausts are for racecars and ricers. STIs are pretty quiet right?
or people that like hearing their cars KIMO!! I have 3" TBE and no cats, the only thing I have is a gutted muffler. I like the sound, but I wish it was a little louder....
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

wtdash wrote:I also have the STi axle-back. It's 2.5". WRX is same as stock @ 2.25", IIRC.
TD
Are there certain years where the sti axle backs were 2.5"? Every one I've looked at from '04-'06 all had 2.25" piping. A lot of guys on NASIOC say their sti axle backs are 2.5" and when I ask them to verify it, they all say it's 2.25". I'd like to find an sti axle back with 2.5" piping if it really does exist. Anyone know for sure?
'94 TW
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

It is perfectly common on later cars to run a 3" DP into the stock midpipe and muffler. I run that and a Cobb Stage 2 map on my STI. The major restriction is the downpipe. If my 2.5L with a bigger turbo doesn't need more than that, I'm sure it'll be more than enough on a Legacy unless you've got some kind of swap going on or a seriously built engine.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk