Took Catts off my 92 Legacy Wagon N/A

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WagALeg92
In Neutral

Took Catts off my 92 Legacy Wagon N/A

Post by WagALeg92 »

Hey guys will have pictures up shortly but I took the cats off my N/A wagon and put a thrush muffler on it for now, I cut the cats out of an old exhaust i had laying around and made a 2" Y-Pipe to 2.25" with a flex pipe and Its really really loud and its very raspy too the car runs fine and no check engine lights the muffler I put on there is usually a quiet one on most applications but for some reason its really high pitched and loud on my car.

Sooooo. . . i got a resonator and im gonna put that on to quiet it a bit but i want to change mufflers Im afraid to go with a straight through muffler since Ill have absolutely nothing for back pressure but i feel like any muffler thats not straight through wont sound right, any suggestions ill have pictures up shortly

If anyone thinks I can run a straight through muffler and my car will run good please speak up ill do it if its gonna work

here are some of the Straight through mufflers im lookin at

Thanks, Frank

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DTM-MUFF ... 277wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-BURN ... 085wt_1182
1992 Subaru Legacy AWD Wagon
Daily Driver
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Re: Took Catts off my 92 Legacy Wagon N/A

Post by speedmaxx »

I'm running 2.5inch piping from the resonator back to a magnaflow strait through muffler and it sounds mean. Tons of growl but still barabel driving around town. Low end seems about the same as it was but the high end up seems to have opened right up.

How's the power seem after the decatting ?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Back pressure is always bad. Don't let marketing departments tell you otherwise. What you want to do is tune the exhaust pulses and reflections for a given rpm range, though by the time they get to the muffler, the effect is minimal anyway. I wrote about it too many times and I'm sure a google search will explain it. Look up pulse tuning and you'll know more about exhaust than probably 90% of so-called car guys.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
WagALeg92
In Neutral

Post by WagALeg92 »

speedmaxx wrote:I'm running 2.5inch piping from the resonator back to a magnaflow strait through muffler and it sounds mean. Tons of growl but still barabel driving around town. Low end seems about the same as it was but the high end up seems to have opened right up.

How's the power seem after the decatting ?
Im noticing a nice power gain 1st gear seems to not exist anymore it revs up so fast, id say I got about a 15Hp gain the car is leaning out towards the top end but i dont really want to put that much money into it since im getting a turbo motor over the winter so im not going to get injectors, however i am getting Mega Squirt 2 standalone ECU first so i wont have to worry about the ecu when i get the 20g It has sequential injection up to 4 cylinders i think that alone should solve my problem with leaning out and i guess i can tune the motor for a straight pipe with that too

ill get pictures up as soon as i get the resonator on.

Frank
Daily Driver
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Hmm I may have to consider decatting my car or atleast high flow cats. How are you able to tell that it's leaning out on the high end? Do u have air fuel gauge or are you going by the sound of the motor? I have a feeling my car is leaning out cause from 5800rpm to 6500 the motor is just screaming. I try to never let the rpms get that high but every now and then durring an auto x first gear will fully wind out
93 legacy l
to much to list....
WagALeg92
In Neutral

Post by WagALeg92 »

i think its leaning out because the car gets quiet and it takes about 2 seconds to get from 5600rpm to 6000 in second but if i shift to third at 5600 its fine
Daily Driver